Remove front lip

nischalr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS ST, Audi Q4 E-tron
Country flag
Did this today. Took me 3.5 hours. The process is pretty much exactly as found on the YouTube videos on the subject. Very pleased with how it worked out. Really ties in with the other gloss black elements on the GTS.

CBF749AC-7E8D-45A1-898B-5ECC4AEA5092.jpeg
I’m biased, but looks great! Very impressive that you did it yourself. Were there any surprises, and did you have to cut the tabs off the paintable inserts as my installer needed to do? And last question, if only the paintable inserts needed to be redone, can the bottom lip be removed and replaced without bumper removal now that the new inner grille has already been installed? Thanks for any insight on your experience.

DJBlack

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Porsche Cayenne Coupe, Taycan GTS on order
Country flag
Did this today. Took me 3.5 hours. The process is pretty much exactly as found on the YouTube videos on the subject. Very pleased with how it worked out. Really ties in with the other gloss black elements on the GTS.

CBF749AC-7E8D-45A1-898B-5ECC4AEA5092.jpeg
That looks great.

Did you take any photos along the way?

Also, does your car have spacers fitted? The stance really looks good in that pic

nischalr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
That looks great.

Did you take any photos along the way?

Also, does your car have spacers fitted? The stance really looks good in that pic
Good eye, really does look like spacers are fitted. The stance is great. I have 15mm spacers waiting to be fitted, curious which size @Moonstone may be using?

OP
OP
Moonstone

Moonstone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS, R8 V10+, Q5 Edition 1
Country flag
I’m biased, but looks great! Very impressive that you did it yourself. Were there any surprises, and did you have to cut the tabs off the paintable inserts as my installer needed to do? And last question, if only the paintable inserts needed to be redone, can the bottom lip be removed and replaced without bumper removal now that the new inner grille has already been installed? Thanks for any insight on your experience.
I bought the inserts used from eBay and only after I finished the install did I notice that the tabs stuck out. I’m assuming that they’re meant to go under the the flaps mechanism that bolts onto the grill. I’ve bent the inner ones back underneath and left the outers as-is because they don’t foul the motorised flaps And I don’t think they’re noticeable.

Only surprise was discovering that the new grill didn’t have the holes required for the front camera so I had to make them myself using Stanley knife (box cutter).

As for removing the paintable bits in future. Probably not. There’s a lot of tabs and the risk of damage to them and the bottom lip is too great. Having done this, I’d be inclined to just go the whole hog and remove the bumper again.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Moonstone

Moonstone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Good eye, really does look like spacers are fitted. The stance is great. I have 15mm spacers waiting to be fitted, curious which size @Moonstone may be using?
Yes I’m running spacers. 15mm on the front and 10mm on the rear. I put PPF behind front and rear arches and the bottom of the doors to cope with any additional spray!

nischalr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I bought the inserts used from eBay and only after I finished the install did I notice that the tabs stuck out. I’m assuming that they’re meant to go under the the flaps mechanism that bolts onto the grill. I’ve bent the inner ones back underneath and left the outers as-is because they don’t foul the motorised flaps And I don’t think they’re noticeable.

Only surprise was discovering that the new grill didn’t have the holes required for the front camera so I had to make them myself using Stanley knife (box cutter).

As for removing the paintable bits in future. Probably not. There’s a lot of tabs and the risk of damage to them and the bottom lip is too great. Haven’t done this, I’d included to just go the whole hog and remove the bumper again.

From what I have been able to deduce, the two tabs on the paintable inserts may have been provided as temporary tabs to allow for hanging the items to paint and are meant to be cut off prior to installation. My installer had the same issue with them being visible after install and could not deduce how else they could have been fitted at which point we figured that they were to be cut off.

Once again, congrats on the self install, not sure I would have had the stomach for it had I attempted on my own.

I have 15mm spacers for all 4 wheels ready to go on, hopefully the rears won't be a problem at 15mm.

Pictured are the tabs I was referring to.

Porsche Taycan Remove front lip image_16875009.JPG

Porsche Taycan Remove front lip image_16838401.JPG

Porsche Taycan Remove front lip image_16886529.JPG

Porsche Taycan Remove front lip image_16860673.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
Moonstone

Moonstone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
From what I have been able to deduce, the two tabs on the paintable inserts may have been provided as temporary tabs to allow for hanging the items to paint and are meant to be cut off prior to installation. My installer had the same issue with them being visible after install and could not deduce how else they could have been fitted at which point we figured that they were to be cut off.

Once again, congrats on the self install, not sure I would have had the stomach for it had I attempted on my own.

I have 15mm spacers for all 4 wheels ready to go on, hopefully the rears won't be a problem at 15mm.

Pictured are the tabs I was referring to.

image_16875009.JPG

image_16838401.JPG

image_16886529.JPG

image_16860673.JPG
Yep same tabs. Not convinced it’s for painting seeing as mine were used and taken from another car.

OP
OP
Moonstone

Moonstone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Interesting, it was just a theory of mine
My own theory is that those tabs are supposed to fit under the frame for the motorised flaps that bolt on to the back of the grill but it’s too much hassle to explore it! (I’m not not 100% convinced I’m right!)

Last edited:

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
Here is the finished product, first picture is of the original front lip, and I'm sure all of you already know what that looks like, followed by pictures of the Turbo front lip conversion with the "wings" painted gloss black as my preference to match all the other gloss black on the GTS.

It is a subtle difference for sure, especially going with gloss black instead of body color, but it makes me happy!

IMG_0921.jpeg

IMG_0945.jpeg

IMG_0946.jpeg

IMG_0947.jpeg

IMG_0948.jpeg
Thanks for the pix, very smart! I have to admit I hadn’t realised there was a difference between them before.
I have a Cross Turismo which is quite different Again.

OP
OP
Moonstone

Moonstone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Just back from dinner and tidying up my tools (had to just chuck everything in the shed when I got finished earlier) and having another look at the front end. It’s a subtle change for sure but I have to say it really finishes the front end off. Photos don’t do it justice. I’m really pleased!

CxM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Nicely done. Looks great!

If just removing the front lip and not the grill, does the bumper still need to come off?
Thanks.

OP
OP
Moonstone

Moonstone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Nicely done. Looks great!

If just removing the front lip and not the grill, does the bumper still need to come off?
Thanks.
Yes I’m afraid.