Retrofit Macan Camera?

Archimedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Im sorry but it’s totally garbage. Any other Porsche, BMW, Mercedes and Audi I can park within an inch of an object. On the Taycan it’s a drunk wasted fish eye crappy low resolution image. Side to side with my other cars it’s junk.
Do you often find yourself needing to park within an inch of things?

The camera’s fine. It’s fisheye to give you a wider field of view.

I have no problem backing my car right up close to anything.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Silveral

Silveral

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S
Country flag
You know…..Ive spent TWNEYFIVE years of my life parking with no camera. So, I am fine without it. But if I have to spend 140,000 USF for a car, I want a camera as good as my $56,000 Rubicon or my $98,000 Seven Series. Is that good enough? Nooooo

mlambert890

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I would be willing to bet money that it's all the same camera and this comes down to positioning and software. There's simply no way that the Macan is using a physically superior camera. I had to replace my front cam due to damage and the parts across the Porsche line are all enormously similar, really really cheap, low end cameras (like every other car). If your Porsche replacement cost is $120 (which it is), you know it's cheap hardware.

Again, this is down to placement and software IMO.

scav

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S Cross Turismo (2022)
Country flag
Seems like a weird thing to complain about? It does the job, helping park the car. I won’t use it to read a book or spy on my neighbour, perhaps therein lies the problem?

Lars

First Name
Lars
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 911 C4S Taycan CT 4S
Country flag
Can you please post a picture of the perfect camera? I'm starting to have doubts about the whole thingie. I will also take a picture of mine over the next couple of hours....
OK - so here you have 3 views, Standard surround view when you hit reverse and it automatically comes on, then SIDE view to show sides and finally REAR view.
When I click Rear view the camera focal length changes (you can see the hood of the bumper (its a CT) and so the field of view changed as I did that.
Honestly I find the cameras crystal clear and the red line a good safety reference for reversing or driving forward.

Porsche Taycan Retrofit Macan Camera? Standard

Porsche Taycan Retrofit Macan Camera? Sid

Porsche Taycan Retrofit Macan Camera? Rear

Pozuelo

First Name
Roberto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo S, 2018 E63S Estate, 2023 A45S
Country flag
I would like to add that in sunny weather the camera has good resolution but when it is dark or raining it gets worse. This happens to all cameras, however on higher quality cameras there is enough light hitting the film or sensor to minimize the effect.

Lars

First Name
Lars
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 911 C4S Taycan CT 4S
Country flag
I would like to add that in sunny weather the camera has good resolution but when it is dark or raining it gets worse. This happens to all cameras, however on higher quality cameras there is enough light hitting the film or sensor to minimize the effect.
That's true. I'm ok with the camera at night. Rain and dirt you can't get around easily.

Murph7355

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST; TVR Griffith 500; Caterham 7; Volvo XC90
Country flag
But do you see how deformed the BMW look? Looks like a ball….
I thought that was just how modern BMWs look :D

The cameras aren't there to get a photo quality view of what's behind you...the lines, camera and sounds help you get as close as you want. To that end, I didn't find them an issue at all when I borrowed one (better than craning your neck over your shoulder and having to use mental acuity to know where you are :)).

LeftCoastElectric

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS
Country flag
Alright, I have to be nicer to Gretchen [my Taycan]. I was backing into my garage last night and focused on the front and rear cameras. This was the first time that I noticed they rotate with the turn of the wheel. Pretty cool feature. So now, I understand the fisheye lense concept to give a wider field of view as the camera moves left and right.

Now my complaint is that there needs to be a way to wash off the camera from inside the car. There was so much wet and road dirt on the camera last night I could barely see. #firstworldproblem

Pozuelo

First Name
Roberto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo S, 2018 E63S Estate, 2023 A45S
Country flag
Rear camera has a washer, not very efficient.

OP
OP
Silveral

Silveral

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S
Country flag
In parking mode you will see a button with a sprinkler drawing on it

menzz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
mino cooper S, waiting for taycan CT
Country flag
🙄 That button makes sense now.... haha

Thank you!!!
Also when reversing, (maybe only on CT) push the right stalk (as if turning on the washer fluid for the rear window), it will spray water on the rear camera
Sponsored