Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
If the only came out when you reversed then at least they’d be clean.
But there is a great washer on the camera. That works great for me on very salty roads.

Doesn’t improve the camera but at least the lousy picture is clear!
Sponsored

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
Similar but a little fewer driving years experience. Sadly, I've noticed that automotive styling has changed over the past decade or so, to the point that cameras and driver aids are now almost necessary to see the vehicle limits and due to increasing blind spots.
On the other hand cars were much more like boxes then. My old Volvo 740 was like a shoe carton, square, but you knew exactly and could see every corner of that. Now with all the aero style it’s not so easy!

violuma

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 RWD
Country flag
On the other hand cars were much more like boxes then. My old Volvo 740 was like a shoe carton, square, but you knew exactly and could see every corner of that. Now with all the aero style it’s not so easy!
If you want to talk boxy car shock, I went straight from a 1988 BMW E28 5-series to the Taycan. I still feel like a time traveler.

bn8959

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS ST
Country flag
These photos are actually as good as it gets in low light conditions. I really wish I had some pics from the other day in the rain bc any water on the lens and forget about seeing anything. But even in these, everything is SO distorted that it’s really hard to keep your bearings.

In my BMW 840 the camera was so good I could’ve driven in reverse even in the dark.

IMG_0343.jpeg

IMG_0342.jpeg

IMG_0341.jpeg
This may only be a feature on the remote parking option that I have, but I can toggle that rear view between two angles. That’s the really wide view that allows you to see passing traffic if you are backing out, but I can tap the same camera and the fish eye effect dial down as it ‘zooms in’ for a much more ‘normal’ view.

24Neptune

First Name
Cheryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 Porsche Taycan RWD, 2024 Audi SQ5 Prestige
Country flag
This may only be a feature on the remote parking option that I have, but I can toggle that rear view between two angles. That’s the really wide view that allows you to see passing traffic if you are backing out, but I can tap the same camera and the fish eye effect dial down as it ‘zooms in’ for a much more ‘normal’ view.
Yes I have that view as well, but to me not a lot better overall although distortion is a lot less. Other thing I don’t like about that view is no red distance line.

Part of my problem I guess is our SQ5 cam and the one in my prior BMW very crisp and clear so not accustomed to having to work so hard to backup 😬

bn8959

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS ST
Country flag
Yes I have that view as well, but to me not a lot better overall although distortion is a lot less. Other thing I don’t like about that view is no red distance line.

Part of my problem I guess is our SQ5 cam and the one in my prior BMW very crisp and clear so not accustomed to having to work so hard to backup 😬
I agree. I’ve come from an RS6 and that was instantly easy to comprehend and trust. This one - no. I just am always doubting it. Even just reversing up to a wall. My brain tells me that the whole boot lid (that isn’t visible) is going to be hit, even though it’s the diffuser (that you can see) is the thing that will make contact first.

I also find the parking sensors trigger of non-sensical things. For example. Doing a parallel park beside a pavement, with plenty of space. I’ve found the parking sensors are picking up the curb - so it’s all red and beeping madly at me - just from the curb, which I am along side. Meaning I’m not getting any useful warning from the car behind I’m approaching (as it’s already beeping constantly).
Not confidence inspiring!

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
Reading these comments I realise I don’t really use the camera much, I still mainly look out of the windows.
I am feeling very old.

slothinker

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 (now sold), Toyota MR2, BMW 328i (now sold)
Country flag
The fundamental problem of the rear camera is perhaps that it is so low that in order to get the full view a lens with a wider angle than usual was needed. That is a styling related (hiding the camera) problem which a different camera or software may not address.

Having written that, for the first 35+ years of my driving life no car had reversing cameras or sensors, so as a problem it is exaggerated somewhat IMO.

I had to point out the reversing camera and the view on the screen in her car to my wife, she had neither noticed its existence nor used it since she got the car, and actually still doesn’t :) but that could be because it was me that pointed it out ;)

We both learned to drive cars in with no driver over-rides or aids but these cameras and sensors are nice to have and do make driving so much easier.
Impressed that folks can get by without using (or having) a back-up camera. I consider the capacity through the rear-view mirror to see exactly what's happening immediately behind the Taycan when backing up (think large or jagged object, pet or child) as being extremely limited.

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Impressed that folks can get by without using (or having) a back-up camera. I consider the capacity through the rear-view mirror to see exactly what's happening immediately behind the Taycan when backing up (think large or jagged object, pet or child) as being extremely limited.
I never used the mirrors for reversing either, I twist round and look through the windows - though as I get older I get stiffer.
You certainly need to be aware of the surroundings, I would avoid manoeuvring anywhere where there are pets or small children.

I do use the cameras more now than I used to.

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
The fundamental problem of the rear camera is perhaps that it is so low that in order to get the full view a lens with a wider angle than usual was needed.
I don’t think this is the issue.

I have a post here saying my macan is only 5” higher:

https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/t...to-not-be-super-wide-angle.11577/#post-169023

And a post here showing how much significantly better my Macan is than the Taycan:

https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/threads/backup-camera-quality-to-improve.6423/page-5#post-92778

And, my 911 has the camera just an inch below the Macan (so, 4” above the Taycan) and it has the same goofy views as the Taycan.

bluesky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW F10 M5 Comp, BMW F10 550i
Country flag
It isn’t a question of driver “superiority” , childhood training, or cervical spine flexibility. It is both an important safety feature and something that an owner should expect to work well on car whose price ranges from about $85K to $250k depending on trim and options.

Backup cameras were federally required in the US since 2008 (the year I took delivery of a C6 Corvette with no backup camera or ultrasonic park aid options), but it stalled until 2018 to actually get implemented. Soon after I got the Corvette I read online that a small child was killed in a home accident involving a C6. The C6 isn’t very tall in the back, but it is enough to obscure sight of a child or pet. I eventually swapped out the head unit in the C6 for a touch screen unit with a camera input and fitted a license plate camera. It did help make reversing easier, even though it was just a basic camera image.

And most vehicles these days have the aero wedge shape that puts the bottoms of the back glass up higher than that in the front, creating larger rear blind areas.

Modern surround /backup camera systems can be a real joy to use when properly implemented. The system in my now 10 year old BMW M5 still is quite excellent. The camera is located up pretty high, and the backup image is clear and works in low light, and there are dynamic lines that show the track the car will take given the current steering angle, while colored markers appear in “space” to highlight in the image where the ultrasonic system detects obstacles. Great for backing into a parking space in a dark garage. Switching to the overhead view makes it easy to perfectly align the car between the white lines of a parking space without looking at any of the auto-tilting side mirrors or opening my door to check the alignment. Other vehicle manufacturers have similar.

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I don’t think this is the issue.

I have a post here saying my macan is only 5” higher:

https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/t...to-not-be-super-wide-angle.11577/#post-169023

And a post here showing how much significantly better my Macan is than the Taycan:

https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/threads/backup-camera-quality-to-improve.6423/page-5#post-92778

And, my 911 has the camera just an inch below the Macan (so, 4” above the Taycan) and it has the same goofy views as the Taycan.
Well 5" is substantially higher from an angle of view POV, our Prius which is better than the Taycan isn't that much higher, but if the 911 is no better and 4" up that definitely isn't it!

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
but if the 911 is no better and 4" up that definitely isn't it!
Thinking about it more and to be fair, there are two versions of the 911 Carrera rear and mine is the version with the higher placement. I don’t know the height of the lower one.
Sponsored