wmras

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan TS, GT4 (sold), Macan Turbo, Cayman SBE 987.18
Country flag
Strongly consider a NEMA 14-50 supply cable instead of NEMA 14-30. It would be a rare home that could not easily accommodate a 50A circuit (40A continuously). Charge rate is 25% faster (about two hours less from near zero to 100%).
Our home replaced two 30 Amp slots with a stacked quad breaker with two 30 Amp and two 50 Amp breakers. Our cost for the installation with #6 gauge wire was $500 to run 20’.

OP
OP
amelen

amelen

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.alexmelen.com
Vehicles
2021 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Strongly consider a NEMA 14-50 supply cable instead of NEMA 14-30. It would be a rare home that could not easily accommodate a 50A circuit (40A continuously). Charge rate is 25% faster (about two hours less from near zero to 100%).
Our home replaced two 30 Amp slots with a stacked quad breaker with two 30 Amp and two 50 Amp breakers. Our cost for the installation with #6 gauge wire was $500 to run 20’.
Good point, I have to do some more research into this. I think we already have a nema 14-30 for our generator that I was hoping to piggy back from eventually and in the short term use the regular plug. What's the best one to get, NAME 14-50?

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
NEMA 14-50 plug - with appropriate wire and a 50 amp breaker - and you'll be good to go.

Optionally you can also do a NEMA 6-50 plug - with appropriate wire and a 50 amp breaker

just make sure you order the vehicle with the type of plug you plan to have the electrician add to your garage - both plug types (14-50 & 6-50) will both provide the same charge rate (9.6 kiloWatts) - the proper supply cable from Porsche for the PMCC is a $0 option at order time.

NEMA is the North American plug standard and is very precise - tell an electrician you need a NEMA 14-50 plug with appropriate wire & breaker and any qualified electrician will need no further information.

location is key - I like to place my plug as close as possible to the garage door - so that my charger and it's 25 ft cable can reach EV both in the garage and in the drive way.

wmras

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan TS, GT4 (sold), Macan Turbo, Cayman SBE 987.18
Country flag
Good point, I have to do some more research into this. I think we already have a nema 14-30 for our generator that I was hoping to piggy back from eventually and in the short term use the regular plug. What's the best one to get, NAME 14-50?
We personally use a NEMA 6-50 (only three wires; +hot, ~hot, and ground). It allows 3 each #6 gauge copper wires to be run in 3/4” conduit. Saves copper. There is no neutral wire, but EV Chargers do not use the neutral. The alternative is the RV-park popular NEMA 14-50, the one most Porsche Taycan users seem to choose.

jimithing

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Macan Turbo, 2014 Panamera GTS
Country flag
Thanks guys. Reviewing the final details - just noticed the callipers are white and I think it's +$900 to make them black. I can't find any pictures of anyone with these wheels having it in white, how bad is it to leave them in white you guys think?

iris (10).jpg
Black much better. Fits with the wheels. Shame you can't get the calipers in Mamba Green.

OP
OP
amelen

amelen

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.alexmelen.com
Vehicles
2021 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I had a thought - and not sure if this is possible, but what if I take the stock wheels - have them powedercoated black, and maybe even a color-matched rim in green?

ie:

Porsche Taycan Review my Taycan Turbo build please Untitled

Porsche Taycan Review my Taycan Turbo build please screen3

Doc

First Name
Shoaib
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan turbo
Country flag
Hey,

So this is the code for my new car. Hopefully coming in the spring but I must commit to the build soon.

It is my first Porsche, first electric car and I am super excited.

But I want to make sure I get this perfect.

Any feedback on my build would be amazing. Be honest. Be critical. Tell me what I am wasting money on and what I should be adding on- PLEASE

PMFAPAA4

https://www.porsche.com/microsite/porsche-code/default.aspx?c=/PMFAPAA4
Sponsored