RWD driving experience

Kortstokk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Macan
Country flag
Taycan base (RWD): 2050 Kg / 344 Nm = ~6 Nm/kg (or ~160 gram performed work for each Nm)
Taycan 4S (AWD): 2220 Kg / 650 Nm = ~3,4 Nm/kg (or ~290 gram performed work for each Nm)

<3 Science.

Ps. The math > 4S doesn't justify the price. But the experience do.
Isn’t this the wrong way around?
Sponsored

Gubbjaevel

First Name
F
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
TaycanT'20
Country flag
What is?

Assuming you mean the 6 Nm/kg vs. the 3,4 Nm/kg - less is more here. (What's why I added an additional explanation within the brackets).

If I'm wrong, please explain how so.

The 2WD base Taycan has about ~55% of the Torque/kg as compared to the 4S.

fullmetalbaal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
What is?

Assuming you mean the 6 Nm/kg vs. the 3,4 Nm/kg - less is more here. (What's why I added an additional explanation within the brackets).

If I'm wrong, please explain how so.

The 2WD base Taycan has about ~55% of the Torque/kg as compared to the 4S.
I think you got the units the wrong way around. 6 vs. 3.4 kg per Nm, where indeed the lower number is better.

The Taycan has substantially lower power to weight ratios (4s is 23% higher, higher is better), and comparing US numbers, torque to weight seems even more brutal than you listed (74% higher).

This doesn't even factor in that the weight difference isn't entirely the motor, there's more standard equipment in the 4S - so when comparing you have to make sure you wouldn't opt for those anyway (In my case, I would certainly have opted for the air suspension).

IMHO, the difference between 5.x and 4.x s to 60 is very noticeable in daily (spirited) driving. 4.x to 3.x already gets tough to really benefit from on US roads, but still something you'll clearly notice stepping from one car to the other. 2+ is an academic exercise and/or 2-3 times a year looking for the right situations for launch control.

For me, 5+ was a deal breaker on the Taycan. Large number of normal cars will feel substantially faster. (pretty much all Teslas, pretty much any decent BMW or Audi).

Here's to hoping that we'll eventually get a RWD with 0-60 in the mid to high 3s or low 4s. That would be a pretty sweet combination.

*More important than 0-60 IMHO is something like 30-70, unfortunately that's harder to get - so I'll keep assuming that 0-60 is an acceptable proxy.

MrJack

First Name
Gianni
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S MY2021, Panamera 4S
Country flag
Taycan base (RWD): 2050 Kg / 344 Nm = ~6 Nm/kg (or ~160 gram performed work for each Nm)
Taycan 4S (AWD): 2220 Kg / 650 Nm = ~3,4 Nm/kg (or ~290 gram performed work for each Nm)

<3 Science.

Ps. The math > 4S doesn't justify the price. But the experience do.
The math say other.... you must do 344/2050 and 650/2220 if you want some number about Nm/kg.
and in this way you will see 0,168 Nm/Kg for RWD and 0,293 Nm/kg for 4S...

Gubbjaevel

First Name
F
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
TaycanT'20
Country flag
I think you got the units the wrong way around. 6 vs. 3.4 kg per Nm, where indeed the lower number is better.
Ofcourse you're right. Had to read my own message several times to see it! Cheers

dmattingly23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4 CT
Country flag
I actually traded in my 2020 M2 for a Taycan RWD..M2 slightly faster off the line but I find the Taycan a much better car overall so far (among other things, the M2 ride was very harsh). Ask me in a year if I still feel this way!
curious…it’s been over a year, how do you feel about the RWD?

Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
I can answer that as I traded from an M2 to a RWD about a year ago.

For me, the Taycan is just sublime.
I love it.

It's a very different drive to the M2, due to the size and more importantly weight of the Taycan.

I notice it mostly under hard braking when you can feel the weight which is having to be stopped.

The manual M2 was loud, harsh and unsophisticated compared to the Taycan. Handling and cornering were fantastic.
A great car, but not what I want at this stage of life.

To sum up, the M2 felt like a harsh go-kart compared to the refined and sophisticated luxury of the Taycan. Which feels like a premium GT car by comparison.

Its just a completely different proposition.

The savings are tremendous too. I used to spend about £250 pm on fuel / £90 on BMW extended warranty / £25? On road tax.

All replaced with about £30 of home electricity, so the Taycan pays for itself.

Completely different propositiins.....

Porsche Taycan RWD driving experience 20210711_135450

Porsche Taycan RWD driving experience 20210915_175554

Last edited:

RBGtaycan

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia EV6; Taycan RWD....Past: 356, Cayman S
Country flag
I'm impressed by your follow up!..to answer: I just got back from a number of trips that added several thousand miles to my car. I truly love it for that kind of driving: Grand Touring. It's acceleration in the real world (e.g., from 20 mph to 85 mph when merging) is awesome (the turbo must be scary!). It's a great great cruiser. I liked the M2 but truly love the Taycan (even with its quirks).

dmattingly23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4 CT
Country flag
I'm impressed by your follow up!..to answer: I just got back from a number of trips that added several thousand miles to my car. I truly love it for that kind of driving: Grand Touring. It's acceleration in the real world (e.g., from 20 mph to 85 mph when merging) is awesome (the turbo must be scary!). It's a great great cruiser. I liked the M2 but truly love the Taycan (even with its quirks).
haha. I’m going deep into the archives!

appreciate your response. I’m driving an m3 and will prob miss the sheer power and nastiness but the appeal of the taycan is undeniable. Glad to know you haven’t looked back although I’m sure you miss the m2 at times.
Sponsored