OTPSkipper

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Neptune Blue Taycan
Country flag
My only reservation with the RWD is an engineering one.
I wouldn’t bother with 4WD in a normal engined car here, not worth the extra weight, in the UK but with an EV regenerative braking having a motor to use as a generator at both ends is clearly theoretically technically superior.
I would agree on the theory, but I don’t see any practical evidence. 4wD versions don’t seem to get better mileage than the rwd version. You would think the additional motor would allow for some demonstrable difference. But I haven’t seen it.
Sponsored

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
I would agree on the theory, but I don’t see any practical evidence. 4wD versions don’t seem to get better mileage than the rwd version.
I would expect the front pads see less wear on the AWD. Has yet go be seen I think, but that’s my expectation.

OTPSkipper

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Neptune Blue Taycan
Country flag
I would expect the front pads see less wear on the AWD. Has yet go be seen I think, but that’s my expectation.
That should be true. But there is still surprising little break dust (compared to my boxster) on the front and rear of my rwd.

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
I would agree on the theory, but I don’t see any practical evidence. 4wD versions don’t seem to get better mileage than the rwd version. You would think the additional motor would allow for some demonstrable difference. But I haven’t seen it.
The range difference will be only evident if driven such that braking was often hard enough to need to use both motors as generators I suppose.
Otherwise there would be no difference.

Also brake balance will be "interesting". If maintaining the general Taycan target of maximising the braking due to regeneration that would mean the car would mainly just be braking the rear wheels. That would make the transition to using the discs quite difficult to programme when more than regeneration can provide is being demanded at the brake pedal.

That is the biggest problem with the hybrid Formula 1 cars which are RWD.

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
That should be true. But there is still surprising little break dust (compared to my boxster) on the front and rear of my rwd.
Maybe it does just regeneratively brake from the rear in most normal driving then. It makes sense.

Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
Maybe it does just regeneratively brake from the rear in most normal driving then. It makes sense.
My (minimal) brake dust is about the same front and back on my RWD.
Unlike all my other cars, where obviously, the fronts had much more brake dust when I cleaned them.

Westbyz80

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan
Country flag
I would like to one day get a ‘23 4S sedan and understand that it could be quite a while before I get one…

In the meantime, a base/RWD sedan fell into my lap and it has many of the options I was looking for (PB+,PASM,Sport chrono, all leather,prem pack). No ADM and good offer on my trade. I’ll get the fed tax credit too.

This would be my daily. No commuting. Local and some freeway driving. No track.

how hard will it be to find a 4S (like I did this one)? Should I grab the base and wait for an allocation? Will the RWD be enough so I won’t need a 4s (subjective I know!). Any thoughts from current RWD owners or those who were in a similar situation?? Thank you very much.
I had a chance to get a 4s that had good specs or a RWD that I could spec the exact way that I wanted it.I’ve test driven both…the RWD is plenty fast. It’s an absolute joy to drive and with the RWD it feels more like a top end car when it handles, tbh. Even the dealer told me it’s not worth the almost 20k difference for 80hp.

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
That may be true (and I think likely is) but is it optimal? I.e. is that how they do it on the AWD? If it’s not how they do it on the AWD where they have a choice, then I can’t help but think it’s a sub-optimal decision here, other than to try and maximize the use of regen.

Although it’s also possible it makes little to no practical difference in normal driving.

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
That may be true (and I think likely is) but is it optimal? I.e. is that how they do it on the AWD? If it’s not how they do it on the AWD where they have a choice, then I can’t help but think it’s a sub-optimal decision here, other than to try and maximize the use of regen.

Although it’s also possible it makes little to no practical difference in normal driving.
It definitely isn't optimal but with electronic stability control it is doable so will make little practical difference normally.

Nobody of sound mind would do it that way with 4WD.

There are a lot of 2WD EVs with regen and they will all be non-optimal for braking but OK as long as the stability control can activate the brakes at the "other end" before th regen end gets near its grip limit.
In normal driving only a tiny proportion of the tyre potential is used.

OP
OP

dmattingly23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4 CT
Country flag
I was able to test drive a RWD and 4S and now understand why many reviewers and folks here prefer the RWD or at least wouldn’t hesitate to buy a RWD.

The RWD was more enjoyable. It was quick (didn’t feel like a 5 second 0-60), more agile, better balanced, and handled so much better. The overall driving experience was better.

Don’t get me wrong the 4S was quicker and I’m sure that comes in handy but I didn’t like that the front end was pulling and I could feel the extra weight. In fact, as someone who ultimately wanted a 4S over a RWD - that is no longer the case.

For those who say the RWD is slow. Well, it’s all relative and prob depends on what you are currently driving but I’m driving an M3 comp package and it doesn’t feel that much quicker so I respectfully disagree.

Last edited:

YLA G

First Name
Yves
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mini Countryman, Tesla P3D - Order: Taycan ST
Country flag
Same for me..
I was able to test drive a RWD and 4S and now understand why many reviewers and folks here prefer the RWD or at least wouldn’t hesitate to buy a RWD.

The RWD was more enjoyable. It was quick (didn’t feel like a 5 second 0-60), more agile, better balanced, and handled so much better. The overall driving experience was better.

Don’t get me wrong the 4S was quicker and I’m sure that comes in handy but I didn’t like that the front end was pulling and I could feel the extra weight. In fact, as someone who ultimately wanted a 4S over a RWD - that is no longer the case.

For those who say the RWD is slow. Well, it’s all relative and prob depends on what you are currently driving but I’m driving an M3 comp package and it doesn’t feel that much quicker so I respectfully disagree.
100% same for me.

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
RWD is amazing. Stick it in sport mode when you fire her up. You won’t miss the 4S. It drives on rails.
The steering on RWD is incredible.

McgR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4
Country flag
When braking / regenerating it is always active on the 4 wheels in my CT 4. In can’t see how it is distributed however. I did a long highway trip and finished with a mountain pass (1300 elevation m up and down) yesterday and it was always braking on the 4 wheels. Sport mode and regen function really makes sense on mountain roads.
Sponsored