RWD traction control off - driving experience?

buruburu

First Name
Sherman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I wouldn’t dream of having 4WD with an IC engine but with an EV I would for the regenerative braking. I don’t like the idea of only braking at the rear and on the F1 car it is a pain getting a good brake balance with regeneration only at the rear (4WD is against the rules in Formula 1 so far)
So we’ve though the 2WD is 4% lighter it wouldn’t be my choice.

Dug this out from my previous post when I had to drive a RWD model for about a month while my 4S was getting poked at by the service department.

"Regen is also very different between RWD and 4S as well. Regen in the base RWD is much smoother vs in the 4S where it's much stronger. It makes sense as the 4S has 2 electric motors and having 2 instead of 1 probably means that it's able to regen at a much higher rate. Why does this matter? I noticed that in the RWD, the regen gauge would often times get closer to peak regen according to the power meter especially doing the initial slowing down phase. I'll need to pay attention more to this on the 4S and will report back. What this also suggests is that perhaps Porsche didn't do enough regen tuning across the different models and trim. This is also important as this would end up affect how the car slows down automatically w/ ACC or InnoDrive. In the base RWD I didn't have the same complaint that I have in my 4S where it felt like the 4S was break checking everyone behind me if it decided that it needed to slow down because someone had cut in front of me or when it does its PIRM range mode dance. "​
I had the same concern as you regarding the RWD and its regen, and this was my impression. Maybe the Taycan has some form of anti-squat, but would need to check suspension geometry of course. I don't remember the car having that rear brake bias feeling even under normal braking where it should be all regen. That actually leads me to suspect that RWD will likely have heavier front brake wear than the 4S version.
Sponsored

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
I noticed that in the RWD, the regen gauge would often times get closer to peak regen according to the power meter especially doing the initial slowing down phase.
I think the RWD and 4S have the same peak regen power though. We'd probably need more tests to confirm your observations.

What this also suggests is that perhaps Porsche didn't do enough regen tuning across the different models and trim.
Because the RWD can only use the rear motor for regen, I would be surprised if Porsche didn't spend substantial (or at least appropriate) time tuning it correctly.

That actually leads me to suspect that RWD will likely have heavier front brake wear than the 4S version.
I've speculated the same thing myself, but I guess, we'll have to wait and see anyone every actually observes this.

buruburu

First Name
Sherman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Because the RWD can only use the rear motor for regen, I would be surprised if Porsche didn't spend substantial (or at least appropriate) time tuning it correctly.
Another thing to keep in mind the RWD I was driving was one of the very first RWDs that was landing in the states. Without a doubt Porsche has made a lot of tuning changes since then. So a lot of my feedback from back then may actually not be applicable anymore.

f10tt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan, 2022 Cayenne, 2021 Bronco
Country flag
I’d say the £10 grand + Lower starting price was the the main reason people get a RWD😉🧐
just saying 🤣🤣
I bought a RWD because it would be here literally in 1/4 of the time of anything else.
Sponsored