IrwinJ

First Name
Irwin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mercedes SL550
Country flag
Awaiting delivery of my RWD which I finally got last week, I had been thinking about my choice of RWD, wondering if I should have sprung the additional dollars for the S and whether I'd be dissatisfied with just the power of the RWD.

Then I got my car. Initially when pushing pedal to the floor I thought "nice but not exciting". Then I tried Sports mode, and wow, was stunned how much power difference between the 2 modes. I quickly learned that stomping the pedal to floor in Sports mode is so powerful and fast that I almost immediately have to hit the breaks to avoid running into normally driving cars ahead.

So that got me wondering: how and when do S and Turbo drivers come close to using the beastly power of their cars? Where can they do that other than on the expressway or a driving track? And in most town driving situations, are they using their powerful beasts any differently than how I drive my RWD in the same situations? And once the novelty of using that beastly power in the very few situations where appropriate wears off, then what's the real difference between their beastly powerful cars versus my RWD which as I said in Sports mode is too fast for most in town driving situations.
Sponsored

whan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD, Ferrari 458, Lexus GX460
Country flag
So I had the same concerns as you, re: RWD vs 4S speed. Still waiting on my RWD, and was only able to test drive a 4S before making a decision. Ultimately for me, it came down to thinking about how I realistically am going to use the car, and the fact that I already have a weekend car that is faster than the 4S. The RWD on paper, particularly at 40mph and up, seems to be about on par with the 2014 V8 Camaro SS I used to have which was more than adequate for daily driving. Combined with instant full torque and it should feel as fast, if not faster in practice

That said, if I didn't have a fast weekend car already, I almost certainly would've sprung for the 4S at least. While yes, full power isn't usable in most scenarios, there are daily opportunities where you could use full power, at least for a while. Particularly for highway on-ramp scenarios where you're the first car in line, it's certainly a lot of fun. I prefer having the exhaust note of an ICE car to enhance that experience, so if I only had the Taycan, the pure performance would be even more important and would choose a 4s or gts

RAHRCR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Panamera Sport Turismo 4S
Country flag
Every Porsche should have a level of “overkill” for the primary driver. Hard to argue that you need more. In some cases, its based on what you have been driving and in other cases, some with a robust budget just cant help themselves and go with HP that they either don’t use or should never use. I could probably live with RWD power based on the way I drive and be very happy 99% of the time. My current car is a bit quicker than that so I decided to go relatively “on par” with my current Pan 4S but I am under no delusion that its because the extra power is somehow needed.

Archimedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
You won't miss the extra power until that day comes, and trust me... it will come, when you've got a dead hooker in the trunk, a line of blow on the dash, and your speedin' her brains out secretary in the passenger seat giving the double bird to the cop that you just rolled past doing 90. Then you'll miss the extra power. While I'll be speeding off to party with my buddies Cawthorn and Gaetz, you'll be calling the wife from jail trying to explain why you skimped and got the RWD model.

f10tt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan, 2022 Cayenne, 2021 Bronco
Country flag
I went with a RWD car and haven't regretted it except for one or two times off the line. Everywhere else it's faster than 85% of what's out there. Numerous threads on this that contain a ton of good info too!
Sponsored