Screeching noise (video) - anyone else?

mc9er

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2021 Audi Q7
Country flag
I have posted a couple of times about a loud screeching noise coming from my car, with little to no avail in terms of finding the source. So I decided to take a video of the noise. Happens during acceleration and deceleration - at almost all speeds. Pedal down, coasting, regen, etc. About 16 seconds in you can hear a long example of it.

I have a service appointment setup in about 2 weeks to have the dealer look at it for a 2nd time to hopefully diagnose. Anyone else with this issue? It’s shockingly annoying and doesn’t sound “normal” like the tech first told me it was.

buruburu

First Name
Sherman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Put your instrument cluster to power meter view and see if there's a correlation between the noise and how much power is being used or regened.

My 4S has a similar noise when it's at medium to high acceleration / regen. Brought it up Porsche as well and got the same answer as you. When I was in a loaner Taycan I didn't hear the same sound so I'll be bringing it up to them again. It's a big annoyance when you're going downhill and the regen is kicking in to maintain speed.

Chris8536

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S (Sold) X7 M50i (sold) cayenne GTS coupe
Country flag
I have posted a couple of times about a loud screeching noise coming from my car, with little to no avail in terms of finding the source. So I decided to take a video of the noise. Happens during acceleration and deceleration - at almost all speeds. Pedal down, coasting, regen, etc. About 16 seconds in you can hear a long example of it.

I have a service appointment setup in about 2 weeks to have the dealer look at it for a 2nd time to hopefully diagnose. Anyone else with this issue? It’s shockingly annoying and doesn’t sound “normal” like the tech first told me it was.
Yea mine does this. I just deal with it

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag

Normal.

Either the motor whine (listen to other slow moving EVs) or the discs.

OP
OP
mc9er

mc9er

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Put your instrument cluster to power meter view and see if there's a correlation between the noise and how much power is being used or regened.

My 4S has a similar noise when it's at medium to high acceleration / regen. Brought it up Porsche as well and got the same answer as you. When I was in a loaner Taycan I didn't hear the same sound so I'll be bringing it up to them again. It's a big annoyance when you're going downhill and the regen is kicking in to maintain speed.
Let me know what you hear - if you ever do!

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
My 4S doesn't do that but I have noticed a more pronounced noise while coasting on Sport compared to Normal with regen off in both modes.
That extra noise is from the gearbox, when in sport it is in first gear.

I suggest you try to reproduced with regen off in Normal and then in Sport. If only one of the two does it then it is the gearbox.
Also try with regen on. If you can reproduce with regen on but not with off then the noise is from the motors.

OP
OP
mc9er

mc9er

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
My 4S doesn't do that but I have noticed a more pronounced noise while coasting on Sport compared to Normal with regen off in both modes.
That extra noise is from the gearbox, when in sport it is in first gear.

I suggest you try to reproduced with regen off in Normal and then in Sport. If only one of the two does it then it is the gearbox.
Also try with regen on. If you can reproduce with regen on but not with off then the noise is from the motors.
Happens with regen on AND off. Happens in EVERY drive mode as well. It’s always there.

rs38

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
taycan,gt2,i8
Country flag
I guess that video is not really helping to isolate the noise you mean. Pedestrian warning sound is dominating from outside recordings.
My car's dominating noise is mostly annoying from the inside (rear axle), and everyone who is hearing me via cell phone through my hands free thinks I am sitting in a tram or have electric sport sound enabled (which is not the case)

Last edited:

FrozenRobert

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan S Cherry Red
Country flag

Slappy_G

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan Turbo sedan, Audi S6
Country flag
Hi.

Mine is booked in on the 16th. Porsche told me they have another taycan in now for same reason. It was so loud the other day it was embarrassing.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1rwecx9dojdp7wx/New Recording 14.m4a?dl=0
I'm necro-ing a really old thread, I know, but I never saw an update from you on what they found, if anything. I have heard the high pitched screech only when regen is on and I can only hear it at low speeds - guessing it is drowned out by tire noise at higher speeds.

Alfa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan ST
Country flag
If it’s Regen only maybe it’s inverter wine by not potting the coils properly?
Sponsored