BillD

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla Model S, 1964 Porsche 356, 1973 Porsche
Country flag
What is the collective wisdom on seat options? I currently have the default 8-way seats configured. Is it worth it to upgrade? If so, why?
Sponsored

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
I have 14-way in my car and love them. Currently in a loaner 4S with 8-way and they're definitely not as comfortable for someone like me at 6' 3". I'm glad I didn't order 8-way.

OP
OP

BillD

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla Model S, 1964 Porsche 356, 1973 Porsche
Country flag
Thanks. Any data on the 18-way sport seats? They are actually less expensive since they don't require adding the ventilated seats.

atebit

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
[s] 2021 Taycan AWD [\s] 2022 Rivian R1T
Country flag
So IMHO the seat ventilation by itself isn’t much to write home about. But combine that with AC running & directed into the footwell and it’s much more worthwhile.

In terms of the seats themselves, I would definitely recommend at least 14-way over the 8’s. TBH I don’t know what the other 4 “ways” for the 18’s are, though.

Wakesurfer

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S, 2023 YukonXL, 2024 Macan S
Country flag
So IMHO the seat ventilation by itself isn’t much to write home about. But combine that with AC running & directed into the footwell and it’s much more worthwhile.

In terms of the seats themselves, I would definitely recommend at least 14-way over the 8’s. TBH I don’t know what the other 4 “ways” for the 18’s are, though.
I have the 18 ways and they are vented. The additional 4s adjust the seat and back bolsters bringing them in for a tight fit. I sat in a Panamera with and without 18-way when I was working on my build and decided then and there that the 18 ways were for me. I really really like them and the tight fit that they provide. When you power the car down the bolsters release. When you power the car up the bolsters tighten up along with your other seat, steering and mirror settings. Not sure that I would want/purchase another Porsche without the 18 way.

submatrix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan
Country flag
Also keep in mind that the standard 8-ways don't come with lumbar support, so if you value that then you'll need to upgrade. I had no choice since I got an inventory model and it's one of the things I really wish I had in my seats.

Zetta

First Name
Marcin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Panamera Sport Turismo
Country flag
And the headrests on the 8-way seats cannot be adjusted lengthways or in height

Swissbob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Cross Turismo
Country flag
I went for the standard seats and don’t find them very comfortable on a long drive. Not sure if more adjustments would help but in hindsight I would pay more for something more comfortable given how integral seat comfort is to the overall driving experience

Last edited:

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
14-way are the best 'compromise' in my view. The seat bolsters aren't as high which means less prone to creasing when getting in and out.

Note that you'll get memory functions and an electric steering column adjustment (which has a comfort access feature to make ingress and egress easier) - so you get more for the extra cash than possibly realised.

BeTay22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2007 BMW X5 while waiting for more high-power chargers
Country flag
Also note that the 18-way seats are somewhat incompatible with the 2+1 rear seats (40/20/40 back row): the 18-way front seats have a different design, and the rear seats get the same design as the front seats without the 2+1 option, but they keep the 14-way design with the 2+1 option.

Evpower

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 2022, Bolt 2020
Country flag
I had 14-way in my 911. My wife and I are rather short and we never needed the memory or power column so this time opted out on the 14's. All of the 6 footers are always complaining. Glad I'm far from that height. Never realized I was a minority.

Windpower

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y, BMW X3, Taycan RWD Coffee
Country flag
I ordered message seats (I have a bad back and tried the message seat in an e-tron and liked it). The message option only comes on the 14-way seats (ventilated).

TycanNewHampshire

First Name
TG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tycan 4S
Country flag
I have the 14-way seats with ventilation....as someone mentioned, the ventilation may not be something to write home about, but I can say that mine went out over the summer and it is a drastic difference when the seat-fan was not functioning!!!! It is a must after experiencing this.

I tried the seat massage and I am now a believer! Next Taycan WILL have this on my options list. Even if I don't use it while driving, it is a great way to relax while charging.

I don't have the 18-way, but I hear the only drawback is that the pattern of the panels don't match the back seats when you go to this option. I think this is a miss on Porsche's part as one of the main draws of them vs. Tesla is the 'fit and finish' and this is just a lazy oversight on their part, in my opinion.
Sponsored