wmras

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan TS, GT4 (sold), Macan Turbo, Cayman SBE 987.18
Country flag
It was the «General Profile» yes. Set at 85% minimum charge. Keeps on going till 100%....
Was Direct Charge accidentally turned on?
Sponsored

grahamsimmonds

First Name
Graham
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
The manual is useless on charging. I had the requirement to charge between 00:30 and 7:30 to a maximum of 85%.

In order to get the car to do this, you have to enable BOTH a profile and a timer.

Profile - minimum charge 25%, select Preferred Times, and enter 00:30 -07:30.

Timer - charge level 85%, departure time 07:30.

If you only set a timer, the car carries on charging past 85%. Note with the profile selecting optimised charging, the minimum charge level becomes the maximum charge level, and selecting preferred times it is a minimum charge level. So if you plug a car in below 25% for example, the car will start charging immediately until it reaches that minimum.

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
If you only set a timer, the car carries on charging past 85%.
Not in my car.
It does exactly what I want.

You can use only one profile though (and select the checkbox).
Set minimum to 85% (it sounds strange, I know) and preferred times.
Downside is you don't have airco set.
But I agree it's not that intuitive...

H@wk

First Name
H
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+, BMW 530XD, BMW 320I cab
Country flag
The manual is useless on charging. I had the requirement to charge between 00:30 and 7:30 to a maximum of 85%.

In order to get the car to do this, you have to enable BOTH a profile and a timer.

Profile - minimum charge 25%, select Preferred Times, and enter 00:30 -07:30.

Timer - charge level 85%, departure time 07:30.
This is exactly how I want my charge plan to be, in addition to a preheat (no charging) at 4pm when leaving from work.
Been trying to set this these last couple of days, but all I get now is a red errormessage in the app; "This funciton is currently unavailable. Please try again yadayadayada....".
Something is fishy down in Germany methinks...

grahamsimmonds

First Name
Graham
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
Not in my car.
It does exactly what I want.

You can use only one profile though (and select the checkbox).
Set minimum to 85% (it sounds strange, I know) and preferred times.
Downside is you don't have airco set.
But I agree it's not that intuitive...
i think you are agreeing with me. If you do not have a profile enabled as well as a timer it will not stop charging at the desired level.

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
i think you are agreeing with me. If you do not have a profile enabled as well as a timer it will not stop charging at the desired level.
I'm able to do this with a single timer (85%, departure time and airco).

I don't use preferred times (for that one need a profile, agree).

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
If you only set a timer, the car carries on charging past 85%.
Mine stops at the level I set! I also only use the timer. Setting the timer to have the car charged at 07.00. At the moment with the lockdown we have, I have set the level to only 60% and will leave it there for the next four weeks at least.

I have always used the timer to charge my car during the low cost hours during night and day. And it never has charged past the level I have set. Certainly never to 100%.

If your car does go on until 100% then there must be some other setting like the app or direct charging enabled. Unless of course there is some software bug in the car?

ndw8790

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
many
Country flag
I have 1 profile, with a charge goal of 80% which is activated all the time.

To manage the charging process, I use 3 timers:
- 8AM, 80% goal, with preconditioning
- 8AM, 40% goal, with preconditioning (I set this one when I don't need charging, but want to precondition without loosing range)
- 8AM, 80% goal, without preconditioning (I set this one when I don't know when I'll leave).

As the interface tells you, the applied charge goal will always be the lowest of either the profile or the timer (give or take a few %).

Works fine, in the car and with the app.

If I don't activate the profile, it only starts chargeing early in the morning to achieve the goal by 8AM.

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo S, 2019 BMW i8, 2023 BMW iXM60
Country flag
If all you want is an 85% charge, then simply set the charge level on the General (default) profile. I have been doing this for months. (...are you sure you need/want to start charging at a specific time?)

You don't need a timer (or a custom profile) to do this at all. Just make sure you don't enable "direct charging" or you will blow through your set level.

For example, set the general/default profile to 85% and then ONLY enable direct charging (when you want to boost your overnight charge to 100%) for a "long" next day. You can then swap between 85% and 100% charging simply by toggling the "Direct Charge" option.

You don't need/want a profile or a custom, profile to do any of this! It only complicates the situation.

Dave T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
If all you want is an 85% charge, then simply set the charge level on the General (default) profile. I have been doing this for months. (...are you sure you need/want to start charging at a specific time?)

You don't need a timer (or a custom profile) to do this at all. Just make sure you don't enable "direct charging" or you will blow through your set level.

For example, set the general/default profile to 85% and then ONLY enable direct charging (when you want to boost your overnight charge to 100%) for a "long" next day. You can then swap between 85% and 100% charging simply by toggling the "Direct Charge" option.

You don't need/want a profile or a custom, profile to do any of this! It only complicates the situation.
What does the "Optimized charging" option do? It says that it "considers both the prices of the electricity tariff you have provided as well as the availability of generated solar power". I have not "provided" any electricity prices, nor do I have solar power. I don't see where you can tell it your electricity prices. But when I have "optimized charging" selected in the general profile, it seems to wait to start charging the car, rather than charging immediately when plugged in. I have a fixed rate all day, so I just want it to start charging right away when I plug in.

ndw8790

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
many
Country flag
What does the "Optimized charging" option do? It says that it "considers both the prices of the electricity tariff you have provided as well as the availability of generated solar power". I have not "provided" any electricity prices, nor do I have solar power. I don't see where you can tell it your electricity prices. But when I have "optimized charging" selected in the general profile, it seems to wait to start charging the car, rather than charging immediately when plugged in. I have a fixed rate all day, so I just want it to start charging right away when I plug in.
That's only usefull if you're connected to a smart grid.

They're rolling this out in the EU.

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
Isn't that the Porsche Home manager which communicates with the Porsche charger?

Porsche Taycan Setting up charging to 85% for novice Screenshot_20201104-211805

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo S, 2019 BMW i8, 2023 BMW iXM60
Country flag
...I have a fixed rate all day, so I just want it to start charging right away when I plug in.
AGAIN. Just set the the charge level on your general/default profile to 85%. DONE. PERIOD. STOP.

You do not need to tweak anything else or set up any timers or any other profiles.

This is EXACTLY what I did MONTHS ago and its been working quite transparently ever since. Set it ONCE and forget it. Just plug your car in whenever it is in the garage. Any time / Every time I get in the car its always waiting for me with an 85% charge. Its that simple.

The ONLY thing I have EVER changed (temporarily) is to enable the "Direct Charging" option the night before a long trip (to give me 100%). No secondary profiles, no timers...
Sponsored

Last edited: