flickroll

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I have been watching the Siem Confucius since it left Emden last week, using the MarineTraffic app. Today I happened to glance at its progress and saw that about noon or so it had made a hard turn to the left and then it pretty much stopped, appearing to drift with ocean currents. And 9 hours later it is still what it was doing, drifting, or so it appears. And this is about halfway between Halifax and Davisville. The track of the ship is available for viewing on MarineTraffic, .com, or the app. Then I noticed a fishing boat, the Atlantic Protector, had also come to an abrupt halt at about the same time. I’ve drawn a conclusion...can anyone definitively say what happened today? The Confucius was due in Davisville tomorrow morning at 6. That’s not going to happen. My Taycan, and a Taycan of at least one other forum member, are on the Confucius. Thx
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
flickroll

flickroll

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
***UPDATE***

As of 7:30 Eastern Time (US) I can’t get an up to date position fix on Confucius. Two different ship tracking apps have a pretty old position of the ship so it is not clear what is going on with Confucius. ETA at Davisville has been pushed to tomorrow morning.

Last edited:

Skier

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
***UPDATE***

As of 7:30 Eastern Time (US) I can’t get an up to date position fix on Confucius. Two different ship tracking apps have a pretty old position of the ship so it is not clear what is going on with Confucius. ETA at Davisville has been pushed to tomorrow morning.
When the ship is too far from land you need the satellite tracking to find her. I don't have that and am just waiting till it comes back into range. No idea why she stopped but it may have something to do with an available berth in RI. We'll see...

OP
OP
flickroll

flickroll

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I have satellite tracking and currently there is no one in port at Davisville. Besides, if there was, the Captain would continue on and wait close to Davisville. Here’s a screenshot from yesterday. The speed went abruptly from about 12.5 knots to zilch very rapidly. Speed of the Atlantic Protector went to zilch at the same time. Attached is a screenshot from yesterday showing Confucius‘ abrupt heading change and going from cruise speed to drift speed. Orientation of the ship relative to its track in the screenshot shows that it is drifting.

Porsche Taycan Siem Confucius DCFAC13E-1FD1-45C9-BA97-4E85979337CA

Skier

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Hmmm....not good but on positive note she's not in the news, yet.

Skier

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Just checked with Vesselfinder and she is now due in RI 8:30AM Monday. We'll see.

OP
OP
flickroll

flickroll

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Just looked myself and Confucius is now headed toward Davisville at 15.8 kts. This status just changed. It will be interesting to find out what happened, it’s been meandering for close to 24 hours. Hope everyone aboard both vessels is OK. Due at Davisville at 0430 UTC which is 12:30 AM local, however it still needs to go through that pack of fishing boats which is where the delay started yesterday.... Somewhat interestingly, Confucius drifted all the way from where the fishing boats are to it’s indicated position. The end of the green barb on the bow shows where the ship will be in 2 hours which is about back to where it was yesterday when things changed.

Porsche Taycan Siem Confucius 57A527AE-3918-4544-A394-12A59C79A993

Last edited:

Skier

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Just looked myself and Confucius is now headed toward Davisville at 15.8 kts. This status just changed. It will be interesting to find out what happened, it’s been meandering for close to 24 hours. Hope everyone aboard both vessels is OK. Due at Davisville at 0430 UTC which is 12:30 AM local, however it still needs to go through that pack of fishing boats which is where the delay started yesterday.... Somewhat interestingly, Confucius drifted all the way from where the fishing boats are to it’s indicated position. The end of the green barb on the bow shows where the ship will be in 2 hours which is about back to where it was yesterday when things changed.

57A527AE-3918-4544-A394-12A59C79A993.png
Thanks for the update. The only thing that worries me is if there is a case of the virus onboard or a sick crew member. Just me being paranoid, I hope.

punkdad2020

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 Targa GTS, Cayenne, S550 Cab
Country flag
Looks like many of us are watching the progress of our boats! Mine is due to arrive in San Diego tomorrow morning. I was wondering if anyone has a good idea about what happen once it gets back into Porsche hands? Battery conditioning, SW upgrades, etc. Also (like most of this process), the dealer has been vague on how long it will take to arrive at showroom...any thoughts?

Skier

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Looks like many of us are watching the progress of our boats! Mine is due to arrive in San Diego tomorrow morning. I was wondering if anyone has a good idea about what happen once it gets back into Porsche hands? Battery conditioning, SW upgrades, etc. Also (like most of this process), the dealer has been vague on how long it will take to arrive at showroom...any thoughts?
No clue but I do know there can be port delays/customs, etc. then Porsche gets the car from the Port and then ???

MissionC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
My car is on the Siem Cicero, so the Confucios better not block the Davisville port :CWL:

Do any existing owners whose car came in through Davisville know how long the car stayed at the port before getting shipped to their dealer?

OP
OP
flickroll

flickroll

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I asked my Sales Advisor yesterday the quickest and the longest times he has seen once the car is unloaded, and our range is 5-10 days before it shows up at the dealer. We are at the southernmost end (Virginia) of deliveries from Davisville. NC apparently gets their cars from Jacksonville.

OP
OP
flickroll

flickroll

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Holy Cow! Confucius is now cruising at 17.7 kts which is the fastest that I have noted on the entire voyage from Emden. Guess the Captain is trying to make up whatever time he/she can.

PanameraFrank

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Holy Cow! Confucius is now cruising at 17.7 kts which is the fastest that I have noted on the entire voyage from Emden. Guess the Captain is trying to make up whatever time he/she can.
I'm a little concerned that how much you're tracking this boat is going to trigger an international piracy alert or something.
Sponsored