Small rock punctures radiator; warranty denied

GHamilton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
My 2023 Taycan GTS with only 6,500 miles just had a radiator failure (all coolant drained out). Dealership just reported the warranty claim was denied because a rock damaged the radiator. Apparently the rock was small enough to make it through the slats protecting the radiator. Is it just me thinking this is a design issue? Either the slat spacing is too large or the radiator is too fragile, in my opinion. Any counsel on how to challenge the denial?
Sponsored

Hirschaj

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan CT4 - Mamba Green, 2022 Challenger
Country flag
My 2023 Taycan GTS with only 6,500 miles just had a radiator failure (all coolant drained out). Dealership just reported the warranty claim was denied because a rock damaged the radiator. Apparently the rock was small enough to make it through the slats protecting the radiator. Is it just me thinking this is a design issue? Either the slat spacing is too large or the radiator is too fragile, in my opinion. Any counsel on how to challenge the denial?
Sorry to hear that. I don't have any advice on the warranty denial but many of us on the forum use these Zunsport grills to prevent the same issue... https://www.zunsport.com/us/porsche-taycan-outer-grill-set

gtm

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'73 Lotus, '23 GTS
Country flag
You are probably not going to have any luck getting this repaired under warranty. It's a result of a road hazard. But the design does leave the radiators exposed. Take a look at Zunsport.com for grilles to reduce the odds of a repeat. They fit my 2023 GTS very well and almost look factory. The website doesn't specifically list the GTS but they fit fine.

Hirschaj

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan CT4 - Mamba Green, 2022 Challenger
Country flag

rim23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
You are probably not going to have any luck getting this repaired under warranty. It's a result of a road hazard. But the design does leave the radiators exposed. Take a look at Zunsport.com for grilles to reduce the odds of a repeat. They fit my 2023 GTS very well and almost look factory. The website doesn't specifically list the GTS but they fit fine.
My observation shows that the flaps close as soon as one starts to drive. They are open only if there is a need for additional cooling or the car is switched to the sport mode. So they are not exposed, but mostly closed. They do open once the car is stopped and not operated.

bigkraig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Cross Turismo Turbo S, GT3
Country flag
not a design issue, sucks but not porsches problem

evo3.2

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mk1 GTI, M3 Evo, Volvo T8
Country flag
My observation shows that the flaps close as soon as one starts to drive. They are open only if there is a need for additional cooling or the car is switched to the sport mode. So they are not exposed, but mostly closed. They do open once the car is stopped and not operated.
Would you say these grilles are needed at all then?

FlyingPoint

First Name
Cobblestone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD, GT3
Country flag
If not a design flaw - then what is it? The radiators are exposed to road debris - for a little extra money they could be protected. I have had two of my radiators punctured on 911 variants. Notice that GT cars have screens. The first mod on my Taycan was Zunsport Grills.

Zcd1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 Perf, Genesis GV60 Perf, Audi Q5 TDi
Country flag
Wouldn't this be covered by the Comprehensive portion of your insurance coverage?

I had a similar incident on an Audi I previously owned. Insurance took care of the repair cost.

gtm

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'73 Lotus, '23 GTS
Country flag
OK, I'll admit I haven't gotten out and looked when the car is moving, but I'm pretty sure they are open whenever cooling is needed. High speed, high ambient temps have pushed my battery temp relatively high and I've arrived home with the fans going and the flaps open. Hard to believe they would be closed while moving and restricting air flow.

Last edited:

gtm

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'73 Lotus, '23 GTS
Country flag
Would you say these grilles are needed at all then?
Yes I would. The OP states the reason why. His radiator did not get punctured at a standstill. The grilles will probably prevent anything large enough to damage the radiator from reaching the radiator.

KLHubb

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S 2009 911S 2012 Cayenne
Country flag
I had a radiator stone puncture (see attached) a few months after I received my Taycan 4S.
I was behind a gravel truck that I was spilling gravel for a bit....a fairly unique situation?
The Service tech attempted to get it covered by Porsche to no avail.
I spent 2k to replace it, and did not call on insurance to cover it..
It took months for the coolant to bleed out, and only then did it find the problem.
I have not installed screens, but have seriously considered it.
I have kept the affected radiator, assuming that it can be repaired.

Attachments

OP
OP

GHamilton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
Update: cost to repair - $4,067. I have a $2k deductible. Assuming the insurance company categorizes this as Comprehensive versus Collision, the claim won’t affect my rates to use insurance for the other half. Zunsport screens on order!
Sponsored