So… partial HV battery repair … do they replace Modules, or sometimes just cells?

CaliPorsche

First Name
DAVE
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S, 2020 Cayenne S, 964 Speedster, AMG
I’m trying to navigate the tendency for people to conflate HV battery cells and HV battery modules when describing an issue or an HV repair project. It is clear that even my Porsche service advisor does not know the difference between a battery module and a battery cell.

For anyone that has had a partial HV battery replacement - ? can you tell me if they replaced on a module basis or whether they deconstructed the module and actually replaced on a cell basis?
Sponsored

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
porsche replaced two modules in my battery in September. There were cells in those modules that were faulty, but they were not repaired there. I do not know if the producer got them back for repair.
All Porsche communication has always been on module replacement.

33 modules with 12 cells in each.

shawn

First Name
shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan, Model Y
Country flag
Everything I have heard and was done to mine was full module replacement.
Just curious, what year is your Taycan? I’m surprised that they have to touch the battery at all if it’s within four years as I assume then the battery should be good for at least eight years with minor degradation. A related question is if you did nothing what would the overall degradation be of the battery pack? if it’s only a few percent why would you touch it at all? Is this because of a recall and not due to normal use?

Last edited:

Tooney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Just curious, what year is your Taycan? I’m surprised that they have to touch the battery at all if it’s within four years as I assume then the battery should be good for at least eight years with minor degradation. A related question is if you did nothing what would the overall degradation be of the battery pack? if it’s only a few percent why would you touch it at all? Is this because of a recall and not due to normal use?
Search the forum for electrical system error. Lots of threads and posts. Such as:
https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/threads/is-this-what-i-think-it-is-electrical-system-error.7163/

mystermykee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 IGM
Country flag
porsche replaced two modules in my battery in September. There were cells in those modules that were faulty, but they were not repaired there. I do not know if the producer got them back for repair.

Did you get an electrical error, or was it only apparent after the BMS reset procedure?

JoeH

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
20204S
Country flag
Porsche Taycan So… partial HV battery repair … do they replace Modules, or sometimes just cells? IMG_3832
Porsche Taycan So… partial HV battery repair … do they replace Modules, or sometimes just cells? IMG_3833
Recently retrieved my 2020 4S that had been in the shop since last October awaiting battery work, or, more accurately, awaiting the traveling technician needed to do the battery work. I’m admittedly ignorant in the details/terminology of HV batteries, but pretty sure the service rep told me it would be a couple of cells that would be replaced. In fact, reviewing the paperwork, it was module #3 that was replaced. Am attaching the write-up. Wondering if I should be concerned about “was necessary to perform component protection due to faults with new Module.”

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
Did you get an electrical error, or was it only apparent after the BMS reset procedure?
Red electric error and completely bricked. No reset procedure at that stage. Tried to charge to 95% before a long trip home from Stockholm.

Needed two new modules plus a new High Voltage Battery Controller

Porsche Taycan So… partial HV battery repair … do they replace Modules, or sometimes just cells? IMG_0815
Porsche Taycan So… partial HV battery repair … do they replace Modules, or sometimes just cells? IMG_0832

Caraholic

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F430, Cayman S, JKU
Country flag
Car is not driveable nothing to do with range. Unfortunately this is a pretty common failure. Frankly I think it’s far higher than is acceptable. These failures occur on 2020 to 2024 with no real difference in failure rates from posts that I have seen.

shawn

First Name
shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan, Model Y
Country flag
Car is not driveable nothing to do with range. Unfortunately this is a pretty common failure. Frankly I think it’s far higher than is acceptable. These failures occur on 2020 to 2024 with no real difference in failure rates from posts that I have seen.
Hum hopefully the new PPE platform eliminates these issues on the Macan and new Taycan.

DWN4IT

First Name
Karyn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S
Country flag

I had the red circle of death pop up last week and had to have it towed to the Porsche Dealership. They just called and said they will be replacing the entire high voltage battery and it will be weeks before I get it back. I have a 2020 Taycan 4S.
Sponsored