icedup51

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S MY22 and Abarth 595 Trofero:
Country flag
Not sure if this has been covered in other threads, if so apologies and could someone please point me to the thread?
Have the Zappi2 EV charger with the solar option and about 3kw of solar panels on a good day. I can set the charging unit to just use solar but my question is because it will be like a trickle charge is this going to cause any issues for the car battery if this is a regular occurrence, during the summer? Being hopefull we have a summer.
Sponsored

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Not sure if this has been covered in other threads, if so apologies and could someone please point me to the thread?
Have the Zappi2 EV charger with the solar option and about 3kw of solar panels on a good day. I can set the charging unit to just use solar but my question is because it will be like a trickle charge is this going to cause any issues for the car battery if this is a regular occurrence, during the summer? Being hopefull we have a summer.
Sorry no experience of this by why would you want to trickle charge?

Charge to 85% and leave for weeks on end if needed and car not in use.

My guess is that you'd be fine now that the issue impacting MY20 / 21 cars with 12v battery drain if EVSE left connected was resolved by factory recall.

OP
OP
icedup51

icedup51

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Sorry no experience of this by why would you want to trickle charge?

Charge to 85% and leave for weeks on end if needed and car not in use.

My guess is that you'd be fine now that the issue impacting MY20 / 21 cars with 12v battery drain if EVSE left connected was resolved by factory recall.
Thanks, guess trickle charge was wrong wording should have said low current charging. If EVSE can be left connected now then that's great, it can charge when the sun shines, trying to carry on and do my 'green' bit.

Doc B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Thanks, guess trickle charge was wrong wording should have said low current charging. If EVSE can be left connected now then that's great, it can charge when the sun shines, trying to carry on and do my 'green' bit.
Been doing this for about two years now and no discernible issues with the battery yet! Nothing like the self-satisfied feeling you get after a good day’s solar charging.

OP
OP
icedup51

icedup51

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Been doing this for about two years now and no discernible issues with the battery yet! Nothing like the self-satisfied feeling you get after a good day’s solar charging.
Thanks for that, good to know

r553

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
981 Spyder, 2015 Cayenne Diesel, 2020 Taycan 4s
Country flag
I have 37 solar panels on my house and usually charge overnight. The power for charging the car comes from my excess solar power held by the utility company in my "KwH bank". My electric bill for most of the year is about $11/month. The cost to top off the Taycan ~ $6-10.

OP
OP
icedup51

icedup51

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I have 37 solar panels on my house and usually charge overnight. The power for charging the car comes from my excess solar power held by the utility company in my "KwH bank". My electric bill for most of the year is about $11/month. The cost to top off the Taycan ~ $6-10.
Take it your in the sunshine state. Dont think going to get away anywhere that cheaply here but every little helps

r553

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
981 Spyder, 2015 Cayenne Diesel, 2020 Taycan 4s
Country flag
Yes mid Florida
Sponsored