Some very basic help understanding, thanks.

Fuzzy80

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
SQ5
Country flag
UK based help

Long story short was buying a Tesla model 3 and somehow ended up with a Porsche Taycan.

A car which would be outside of budget if not for the tax breaks in the UK.

I maybe stupidly not added 150kw adapter and the power cord.

How does charging work on the Porsche, do you have places it is free like Tesla or do you always pay.

Is it going to be slow as I did not get the 150kw adapter.

My charging will really be at home, what do people use to do it,

I only do 20 Miles a day and any journeys longer then the range would be overnight ones, so probably have to take our other car anyway due to luggage space.

Thanks in advance
Sponsored

J8DCV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3; Porsche Taycan 4S
Country flag
Hi, would not be concerned at all re. the 150kw adapter and you can easily purchase the public charging cable from Porsche or any third party supplier (you need one for public charging). Based on your usage, you’d only need to plug the car in once every few days at home and have it charge overnight. There are plenty public places where you can charge for free, although even with a Tesla most will be chargeable. I also own a Model 3, and Superchargers are still chargeable. Only older Model S and X owners get free charging.

Whereever you can charge free with a Model 3, you can charge free with a Taycan, such as ‘destination chargers’ at hotels. I regularly visit Bicester Village, and charging here is free.

4SJB

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4SCT Mini Cooper S Audi A4 3.0 TDI
Country flag
Similar story, test drove a Tesla 3 and S, preferred the S, then Taycan was not a lot more. Now I have seen the final pictures of the Cross Truismo I have started to wonder if I should have waited!
If you are going to charge your Taycan almost exclusively at home and have the use of an acceptable alternative for any round trip greater than 200 miles, you have saved yourself £294.00.
The cable as stated can be bought from Porsche or many other after market suppliers.
Happy days.
When are you due to take delivery?

robborover

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicles
Taycan 4s & Cayenne S
Country flag
You will be fine from home (assume you are putting a charger in) which will give you circa 7kw so to 85% in 10-12 hours when needed.

You do pay for charging if no "free" units available on a journey. Porsche app claims to be able to aggregate this but not seen much evidence so may end up with a polarplus account and/or others.

RobRJS

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
UK based help

Long story short was buying a Tesla model 3 and somehow ended up with a Porsche Taycan.

How does charging work on the Porsche, do you have places it is free like Tesla or do you always pay.

I only do 20 Miles a day and any journeys longer then the range would be overnight ones, so probably have to take our other car anyway due to luggage space.

Thanks in advance
I am similar. Bought the Taycan out of nowhere. Looked at Tesla but hated the inside. Looked at Merc and Audi but didn't float my boat. Decided against electric then randomly bobbed into Porsche for a look. Managed a test drive. Ordered one an hour later :).
My issue is about how to charge as I can install a charger at work and at home. But I go to 2 sites so all of a sudden that is 3 charging units getting up to £3000......
That sounds crazy so I think I will settle for 1 Anderson at home. They are telling me it will 100% charge (when required) overnights so this seems fine to me. Any thoughts? I guess if I need more miles then by definition I am mobile charging anyway!! The main think that confuses me in the Mobile Charge Connect it comes with. This seems stuck in 'no-man's land' to me. Not powerful enough to give 7kw of a domestic single phase supply - and bulky etc for mobile use.....

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
confuses me in the Mobile Charge Connect it comes with. This seems stuck in 'no-man's land' to me. Not powerful enough to give 7kw of a domestic single phase supply - and bulky etc for mobile use.....
You need to get the correct wiring to a charger dimensioned for continuous use of 32 amp. And that is whether you get the Anderson charger or use the Porsche Charger. I have the Porsche charger, but with three phase and I can charge at 22 kW for any vehicle like Zoe that can accommodate that charge level.

Porsche should be able to advise you about all the steps for such an installation. They might have some electricians that they work with I am sure

Talk to a qualified electrician that installs EV chargers and ask for a 32 amp Commando socket installation.

Your domestic supply might not be up to it but that is the same problem for all chargers.

4SJB

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4SCT Mini Cooper S Audi A4 3.0 TDI
Country flag
I could have this wrong, but unless your sites are 200 miles + apart why would you need 3 Andersen chargers?
If they arewith that sort of mileage you will be saving enough on your ‘fuel’ to make it worth the investment.
I say this having yet to take delivery and having never owned a Porsche before, but surely the reason for your purchase is because it is a Porsche and because you are breaking the mould? Your ‘journey’ will not be straightforward or predictable, but few will be able to say that they owned a first gen electric Porsche and maybe life is more interesting with a bit of unknown?
From my own situation, I have only got pleasure from filling my car with children and belongings and driving to holiday destinations against time constraints. Now I am seriously looking at cross Europe trips on my own because the challenges of getting to the next charger excite me.
Given all the things that can go wrong with a Porsche Taycan, if you need something that is utterly reliable and will always deliver, buy an Audi S6. It is comfortable, diesel and will never let you down.
(IMVERYHO)

Mouse House

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
New Balance 1500 v6
Country flag
I am not sure why you need 3 chargers, just take the one the car comes with and maybe install one at home if you have an electric setup that will give some advantage. But the porsche charger gives me 11kW off my home 3-phase supply so the only reason I'd get a different charger is less faff plugging it in.

andyd

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Mclaren 570GT, Cayenne
Country flag
Exactly what I do.
I am not sure why you need 3 chargers, just take the one the car comes with and maybe install one at home if you have an electric setup that will give some advantage. But the porsche charger gives me 11kW off my home 3-phase supply so the only reason I'd get a different charger is less faff plugging it in.

Russmrh

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mercedes
Country flag
UK based help

Thanks in advance
I have the Anderson charger at home. My house is only 1 phase so I get 7kwh and it charges 100% over night on that.
I can set what time I want to set off in the. morning at what charge level and it trickle charges to reach it by that time and warms the car up to the temperature I set.
for charging on the road at service stations etc you don’t need a cable.
I got the Porsche charging cable for free when i ordered and keep it in the car. That would allow me to charge off someone else’s home domestic plug or an industrial connection. Apparently some lampposts in london let you plug in.
I would just plan a stop on the way home on your longer trip at a service station that has chargers. If it’s your office at the far end you can plug in to a domestic socket and get 7kwh during the day whilst you are at work.
Hope that helps.
Cheers

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
...so I think I will settle for 1 Anderson at home. They are telling me it will 100% charge (when required) overnights so this seems fine to me. Any thoughts?
Charge where you sleep, not where you work. Gives you more flexibility...

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
I am similar. Bought the Taycan out of nowhere. Looked at Tesla but hated the inside. Looked at Merc and Audi but didn't float my boat. Decided against electric then randomly bobbed into Porsche for a look. Managed a test drive. Ordered one an hour later :).
My issue is about how to charge as I can install a charger at work and at home. But I go to 2 sites so all of a sudden that is 3 charging units getting up to £3000......
That sounds crazy so I think I will settle for 1 Anderson at home. They are telling me it will 100% charge (when required) overnights so this seems fine to me. Any thoughts? I guess if I need more miles then by definition I am mobile charging anyway!! The main think that confuses me in the Mobile Charge Connect it comes with. This seems stuck in 'no-man's land' to me. Not powerful enough to give 7kw of a domestic single phase supply - and bulky etc for mobile use.....
The charge rate at home is determined by the electric supply you have. By default you will have single phase unless you plan on spending £000s adding 3 phase.

Therefore the max supply you can expect is 7.4kW on a dedicated 32A circuit (which you will need)

Any charger you plug into this will then charge at the same rate and perfect for overnight charging.

There is no need to purchase another charger for home use as your Porsche charger will be perfect in your scenario. Remember that it is portable too.

Andersen's or other electrician will run a 32A circuit without also purchasing their charger for around £500.

Max charge on AC supply at home therefore is 7.4kW even though the Taycan has 11kW AC onboard. Public stations, if DC not available, of 11kW or higher will leverage your 11kW AC onboard charger.

DC charging is preferred (faster) and most locations will have 50kW DC if DC is available at all. Taycan can do this by default and also 350kW (270kW in reality). Without the 150kW 400V DC option you won't be able to charge at this rate (BP and others will be rolling out) however you have 2 other DC options so no great hardship other than additional time for the same charge.

Most / many public chargers are tethered and have a cable. I've not had to use my public cable yet but wise to have one just in case.
Sponsored