Gary Gerrard

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan Turbo, and 2017 911 Turbo
Country flag
I have noticed my speedometer reads 2 mph higher than all other readings. In other words, I am going 2 mph slower than indicated. Anyone else have this experience.
Sponsored

Midlifecrisis

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Taycan 4S (sold). Macan SD (sold)
Country flag
I have noticed my speedometer reads 2 mph higher than all other readings. In other words, I am going 2 mph slower than indicated. Anyone else have this experience.
I think this is normal. The difference gets greater as your go faster. It reduces the chance of inadvertently breaking the speed limit

dtich

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Taycan GTS;'12 Model S(sold); Aprilia; Triumph
Country flag
Yes, in my experience most performance vehicles err on this side.

bn8959

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS ST
Country flag
Also needs to allow for the slight change in circumference of the wheels as the tyre tread wears down. So you may find it more accurate with new tyres and it gets further out as they wear.

WattTurbo

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 C2S, Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Mine is around 2.5 mph optimistic. My 911 is 99% accurate so it’s a Porsche thing but a Taycan thing

tchavei

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Too many to list. Includes a MY23 Taycan RWD
Country flag
Usually the law allows small upward deviations but it's illegal for a speedometer to show below the actual speed. Hence why manufacturers rather err by excess than going below.

DougFrisk

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
No longer awaiting a 4CT
Country flag
The law in the US is that the speedometer in the car may read up to 5% higher than the actual vehicle speed. It may not read lower than the actual vehicle speed ever. For that reason most manufacturers selling vehicles in the US aim for a speedometer that reads a couple of percent fast.

I couldn't tell you where I read that bit of trivia many years ago, but since the advent of phones with GPS I've found it to be about right.

mjw930

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4SCT, ‘21 Ridgeline (modded)
Country flag
Porsche sedans and SUV’s, as well as all other cars in the VW group routinely read 5% high in the US. Their sports cars, which use platforms and technology not shared anywhere else in the VW group, usually are pretty much spot on. This has been the case for over 20 years.

So, a company which didn’t think twice to create software that hacks the EPA emissions test is worried about an obscure regulation regarding speedometer accuracy? I don’t buy it, in my mind it’s lazy engineering.

Sidicks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi S1, Porsche Taycan ST GTS
Country flag
Porsche sedans and SUV’s, as well as all other cars in the VW group routinely read 5% high in the US. Their sports cars, which use platforms and technology not shared anywhere else in the VW group, usually are pretty much spot on. This has been the case for over 20 years.

So, a company which didn’t think twice to create software that hacks the EPA emissions test is worried about an obscure regulation regarding speedometer accuracy? I don’t buy it, in my mind it’s lazy engineering.
I’m afraid that your mind is wrong!

As explained above, speedometers are legally not allowed to read lower than the actual speed, so are engineered to read slightly above.
Also note that actual reading will depend on tyre wear, with the difference between a brand new tyre and a fully worn tyre being around 3%.

mjw930

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4SCT, ‘21 Ridgeline (modded)
Country flag
I’m afraid that your mind is wrong!

As explained above, speedometers are legally not allowed to read lower than the actual speed, so are engineered to read slightly above.
Also note that actual reading will depend on tyre wear, with the difference between a brand new tyre and a fully worn tyre being around 3%.
No, the difference between a new and fully worn tire is not 3%, it’s much closer to 1%. For a Taycan rear tire, the new diameter is 29”. 3% is .87”. Useful tread depth is 6/32nds. 12/32nds is .375” which is 1.3% as a worst case. Most manufactures engineer to a 1% tolerance.

Sidicks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi S1, Porsche Taycan ST GTS
Country flag
No, the difference between a new and fully worn tire is not 3%, it’s much closer to 1%. For a Taycan rear tire, the new diameter is 29”. 3% is .87”. Useful tread depth is 6/32nds. 12/32nds is .375” which is 1.3% as a worst case. Most manufactures engineer to a 1% tolerance.
I lazily did a quick google search and didn’t check the numbers.
I think their calculation rounded up and used small (14”) wheels.
Your figures make sense.
Sponsored