Sports Chrono in the Taycan....Thoughts?

Mile2424

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S (coming soon)
Country flag
Is it needed or do those that have it notice any different or enjoyment. I am familiar with how it works on the normal cars, puts the exhaust on, adjusts throttle response etc.

Aesthetically I think I prefer not having it, but I also don't want to regret not having the option as well. Just thought I'd check and see what others thought.
Sponsored

PanameraFrank

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I will never understand when people don't spec Sports Chrono on a Porsche. Sport Plus *IS* the mode you should be driving in, unless you're in Normal or Range to get more efficiency.

I can not stress enough how much BETTER Sports Plus is for sporty driving than Sport mode. It's night & day. Put the car in Sport +, turn traction control to "PSM Sport", and enjoy a supercar mid-engine feel while still being quite safe.

If you buy a Porsche without Sports Chrono, it's not a true Porsche. You literally don't have the sportiest drive mode. Easiest way to tell if someone bought a Porsche to drive it or if someone bought a Porsche to say they own a Porsche, in my brutally honest opinion.

To be clear Sports Chrono gets you, from least to most important;
-The clock
-The fantastic GT steering wheel w/ mode selector
-Individual Mode
-Sports Plus mode

Sports Plus mode alters PSM/TC, rear wheel bias & chassis setup to make the car as sporty as possible. You can NOT replicate this in any way other than ordering Sports Chrono. It is a fantastic jump from Sport mode. Unlike many cars, you CAN leave PSM FULLY enabled in this mode (or choose PSM Sport or PSM off) which makes it daily usable.

Meaning if you don't have Chrono and park next to a Taycan that does, their car is sportier than yours. Period.

Last edited:

SwissTaycan

First Name
Dieter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S arrived on 23.12.20 and 718 Spyder on order
Country flag
Is it needed or do those that have it notice any different or enjoyment. I am familiar with how it works on the normal cars, puts the exhaust on, adjusts throttle response etc.

Aesthetically I think I prefer not having it, but I also don't want to regret not having the option as well. Just thought I'd check and see what others thought.
Miles there is a thread on this (somewhere) with a lot of details. It was the post that made me order it days before mine locked!

bootsie

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Golf GTI 16v
Country flag

It’s really split between two camps:
1. People who think it’s an absolute necessity on any Porsche
2. People who don’t really see the point but spec it anyway “just in case”.
Either way it seems most people spec it!

Mouse House

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
New Balance 1500 v6
Country flag
You can still select Sport Plus chassis mode without sport chrono. Just not the drive mode.

Mouse House

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
New Balance 1500 v6
Country flag
Sport Plus drive mode further alters the chassis over just the suspension setting.
What exactly? Clearly there's a different drive mode - the sport plus drive mode in the pic below isn't available without SC - but I don't see why there would be a difference between the chassis modes.

Porsche Taycan Sports Chrono in the Taycan....Thoughts? 20200918_215745_resized

oalsaker

First Name
Øystein
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Crayon Taycan 4s
Country flag
Even without this discussion, I find the clock on the sport chrono to be the easiest place to check the time. I didn't expect that when I specced out the car.

Doc B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Even without this discussion, I find the clock on the sport chrono to be the easiest place to check the time. I didn't expect that when I specced out the car.
I agree, I find the dashboard clock a little obscured by the steering wheel. Nearly didn’t get sports chrono since I didn’t want the clock. Now I’ve got it, I love the clock - I’m definitely in a very, very small minority, but I think it looks great. The mode selector though is the key for me. I doubt I’d ever bother to change drive mode mid-drive if I didn’t have that, but with it, I often change between range, normal and sports plus pretty seamlessly.

RG2020

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Golf R Estate, Golf VR6, Corrado VR6
Country flag
I have it and am glad as it makes it easy to switch drive modes. I don’t like taking my eyes off
very good point I agree too.

also the dial helps a lot I don’t like to take my eyes off the road to mess with settings especially as I’m getting used to the car.

Even though it helps find the time I don’t like the look of the clock on the dash. I’d rather it be a smooth dash, I asked if I could have chrono without the clock. Obviously not.

Austin_yeahbaby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, replaced my 911 ;-)
Country flag
I had sports chrono on my last 2 x 911 but didn’t spec it on my Taycan for a couple of reasons....

- Acceleration and launch is the same with our without sports chrono package.

- sports mode is standard without specifying sports chrono.

- sports chassis is also standard without spors chrono.

- you can flip between normal /,sports mode by pressing a single button on the lower central console screen.

- I didn’t fancy the clock with the interior future looking dashboard.

most people seem to spec it as part of the build but the car is equally great without.

kmcdonal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan 350Z, Subaru WRX
Country flag
I have really appreciated being able to switch modes via the knob on the steering wheel. I find that much easier to do than fiddling with the screen, but that is just me.

NC_Taycan

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'12 Tesla Model S P85, '17 Cayenne S, '20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Some others:

1) When it's cooler, and you need to warm the battery, for whatever reason, Sport Plus drive mode will raise the battery temp to 85 deg. F, fairly rapidly (20 deg. F in about 20 minutes though I can't be certain on the timing). A warmer battery takes a charge faster and gives it back more efficiently.

2) In Sport Plus drive mode, the rear spoiler is deployed at around 55 MPH. I'm not sure if or at what speed it is deployed in Sport drive mode.
Sponsored