Sports Chrono or Rear Axle Steering?

Tay Tay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Loving him is like driving a new Maserati down a dead-end street
Country flag
My opinion evolved after putting 50,000 miles on both my 2014 and 2016 911 C2's. without RAS. I noticed no real world difference on the street when compared to my GT3. On the track, there was a noticeable difference, but not on the street.
The GT3 has something like a 10% quicker steering ratio than those cars. I’ll take your word for it that you didn’t feel a difference on the street but I believe most drivers would.
Sponsored

Peter Kelly

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, 911 2S, Range Rover Sport
Country flag
Go for Rear Axle Steering. I didn't but will definitely spec it next time. That and HUD.

Chas1

First Name
Chas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mini
Country flag
I don't have SC but I can still set the chasis in S+ mode by hitting the suspension button on the instrument cluster. If you have air suspension then it comes with the Sport+ chasis option.
So the only thing you really get with SC is the wheel shortcut to rotate drive modes and the Individual drive mode.
Thanks for that info. I was going to spec SC but would really prefer to get rid and f the clock on top of the dash which ruins the clean lines I. My view but wanted to n is if I can get to SC via different set up. Wil eliminate SC from spec.

andix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
991.1 S, Taycan Turbo (4/21), others
Country flag
RAS can be somewhat replaced with the Steering Plus option.
Sport Chrono is a must on Porsches as it gives you the drive modes with selector on the steering wheel.

In fact, I test drove a 4S which had the Steering Plus and not RAS and I thought it would have RAS from driving. Was surprised when I looked at the options list…

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
RAS can be somewhat replaced with the Steering Plus option.
Sport Chrono is a must on Porsches as it gives you the drive modes with selector on the steering wheel.

In fact, I test drove a 4S which had the Steering Plus and not RAS and I thought it would have RAS from driving. Was surprised when I looked at the options list…
The two are mutually exclusive. PSP simply is speed sensitive steering which should be standard on a high performance vehicle at this price point but hey ho. RAS does other tricks as I'm sure you'll realise and the cost is sweetened with PSP thrown in.

The fact is that the 4S is so sure footed and planted for most mortals that normal driving won't highlight the benefits further. Parking on the otherhand could be easier in certain situations.

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
I did not option RAS and I also removed FAS (front-axel steering). The car is slightly less usable since it can only go straight and I’ll admit...parking is noticeably more difficult. But I figured the weight savings would improve performance.

Regarding Sport Chrono, this couldn’t be optioned because removing FAS also removes the steering wheel where the drive mode select knob would be located. ?

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
I did not option RAS and I also removed FAS (front-axel steering). The car is slightly less usable since it can only go straight and I’ll admit...parking is noticeably more difficult. But I figured the weight savings would improve performance.

Regarding Sport Chrono, this couldn’t be optioned because removing FAS also removes the steering wheel where the drive mode select knob would be located. ?
Should have bought a Skoda then :giggle:

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
Thanks for that info. I was going to spec SC but would really prefer to get rid and f the clock on top of the dash which ruins the clean lines I. My view but wanted to n is if I can get to SC via different set up. Wil eliminate SC from spec.
I could not bear the wart on my dash, so no SC. RAS is a must have. I wouldn't buy a larger car without it.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Kevin402

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT
Country flag
Thanks for all the suggestions and comments.

Like someone said earlier, Taycan’s turning radius is superb (11.2M). Not sure whether additional 7+% improvement to 10.4M will feel much of a difference, for RA

On the other hand, with SC, a driving model select knob is certainly handy, but is there any significant in driving dynamics or performance at all? It seems engine/motor performance remains the same?

Anyone had experience on Taycan or Taycan 4S both with and without SC or RAS?

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Thanks for all the suggestions and comments.

Like someone said earlier, Taycan’s turning radius is superb (11.2M). Not sure whether additional 7+% improvement to 10.4M will feel much of a difference, for RA

On the other hand, with SC, a driving model select knob is certainly handy, but is there any significant in driving dynamics or performance at all? It seems engine/motor performance remains the same?

Anyone had experience on Taycan or Taycan 4S both with and without SC or RAS?
No change to power output with / without SC.

If you have air suspension then you also get access to PASM which enables Sport Plus for the chassis / dampers.

All cars get a Sport button (which also gives access to Launch Control) which gives you the 2nd gear.

Cars with SC have an additional mode called ‘Individual’ which lets you make and store your own settings - not a ‘must have’.

The PCM ‘My Screen’ can be configured to give quick access to Drive Mode (Range, Normal, Sport) and so all you are lacking is the ‘wart’ on the dash, a wheel on the steering wheel and a programmable ‘Individual’ mode.

Chas1

First Name
Chas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mini
Country flag
No change to power output with / without SC.

If you have air suspension then you also get access to PASM which enables Sport Plus for the chassis / dampers.

All cars get a Sport button (which also gives access to Launch Control) which gives you the 2nd gear.

Cars with SC have an additional mode called ‘Individual’ which lets you make and store your own settings - not a ‘must have’.

The PCM ‘My Screen’ can be configured to give quick access to Drive Mode (Range, Normal, Sport) and so all you are lacking is the ‘wart’ on the dash, a wheel on the steering wheel and a programmable ‘Individual’ mode.
Very interesting thank you and answers all my questions bar one. Could you programme one of the ‘option’ buttons to set up an individual mode? Also which features would you choose to set up with the option buttons? I found this useful on my old X3

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
I don’t think either of the option buttons can be programmed for Individual mode - would make the thumb wheel redundant.

Go to the relevant menu within PCM and scroll through the options available.

I have one for Electric Sport sound on / off and the other to turn the map display to night mode.

Windpower

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y, BMW X3, Taycan RWD Coffee
Country flag
Yes, even for daily driving. I have rear axel steering and it never ceases to amaze me how nimble the Taycan feels.

In my circumstance, I really needed it since I have a driveway on a hill with posts at the bottom and I needed the better turning radius. But even when just driving around, the car feels so tight.
Sponsored