porsche_coyote

First Name
Wiley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW ID.4 AWD Pro S, BMW i3
Country flag
Can anyone here give an informed opinion/comment on the quality of the leather options on the Turbo? It appears that you can get full leather, RaceTex, or Olea leather. The Olea option is quite a bit more expensive, and I'm wondering: is it a higher-quality leather, or is it just that the tanning process makes it more expensive?

Thanks,

--Wiley
Sponsored

Genau

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Can anyone here give an informed opinion/comment on the quality of the leather options on the Turbo? It appears that you can get full leather, RaceTex, or Olea leather. The Olea option is quite a bit more expensive, and I'm wondering: is it a higher-quality leather, or is it just that the tanning process makes it more expensive?
According to the U.S. configurator, "Interior Accents in Neodyme is included" with the Olea leather option. Separately, Neodyme Accents is $650. There are a lot of trim pieces included in the Neodyme Accents list, including the Burmester speaker covers (if you upgrade from the Bose):
Includes in Neodyme:
  • Steering wheel trim
  • Air outlet frames on dashboard
  • Drive selector
  • Cup holder trim (front)
  • Accent trim on doors (front and rear)
  • Accent trim on curved display
  • Sport Chrono dial face (only in conjunction with Sport Chrono Package)
  • Speaker covers on doors (front and rear) (only in connection with Burmester® 3D High-End Surround Sound System)
Here's the configurator image for the Olea Basalt/Atacama leather with included Neodyme accents. You could achieve almost the same effect with the $570 black/chalk leather option and the $650 Neodyme option, for $1,790 less than the Olea Basalt/Atacama leather option.
Porsche Taycan 'Standard' leather vs. Olea leather? Screen Shot 2019-12-29 at 9.14.48 PM

dryii

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2018 Tesla Model 3, 2015 Porsche Macan Turbo
Country flag
From what I understand the Olea is a more supple, luxurious leather.

Miwa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I thought OLEA was just the tanning method, meant to be more "sustainable" or something. So you can pay extra for more green cred.

dryii

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2018 Tesla Model 3, 2015 Porsche Macan Turbo
Country flag

Rollep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, BMW i3
Country flag
According to the U.S. configurator, "Interior Accents in Neodyme is included" with the Olea leather option. Separately, Neodyme Accents is $650. There are a lot of trim pieces included in the Neodyme Accents list, including the Burmester speaker covers (if you upgrade from the Bose):
Includes in Neodyme:
  • Steering wheel trim
  • Air outlet frames on dashboard
  • Drive selector
  • Cup holder trim (front)
  • Accent trim on doors (front and rear)
  • Accent trim on curved display
  • Sport Chrono dial face (only in conjunction with Sport Chrono Package)
  • Speaker covers on doors (front and rear) (only in connection with Burmester® 3D High-End Surround Sound System)
You can choose between Neodyme and Darksilver interior accents. I choose Darksilver which I think looks much better than Neodyme.

tk23

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mclaren 600LT. Porsche macan gts. Porsche 964 C4. Volvo xc90
Country flag
I was told that it is a higher quality of leather to start with as well as a different process. Supposedly it is less likely to have any blemishes as well. I’m not sure how much that really matters as I have never noticed a blemish on a car interior before. I chose it anyway but have no idea if it was worth it yet. Hopefully it will be when my car finally arrives.

Dave T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I haven’t seen it but it sounds nice. I probably would’ve gotten it if it came in the red/black color scheme I wanted.

Jenner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
25? Tesla Roadster/22 Tesla MYP/21 Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
Chalk is not the same color at all. In the US it is very light grey almost white.

Here are some much better pictures of that interior in real life and with the dark silver trim:
(both color trims look great in real life, but my Neodyme pics are too large to upload)

Porsche Taycan 'Standard' leather vs. Olea leather? interior3

Porsche Taycan 'Standard' leather vs. Olea leather? interior4

Arno

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Turbo S & Tesla Model-S 100D
Country flag
Here is an interesting article about "Personal insights into the development of the first all-electric Porsche", including enlightening information about Olea leather:

https://www.porsche.com/international/aboutporsche/e-performance/magazine/e-performance-craftsmen/

Summarized excerpt regarding this leather type, it goes like this:

"After a 24-month development phase, with the "OLEA" club leather, the team around Cornelia, Ekrem and Jari have created a leather for the Taycan that meets every demand. And sets new standards in terms of sustainable processing methods. Because: the tanning agent is plant-based. It is made from olive leaves which are a waste product in food production. Using the vegetable tanning agent is not only good for the environment as no chemicals are used, it also lends the leather a particularly fresh, slightly fruity smell."

"The skin for the leather comes preferably from Southern German bulls. Because their skins are very large, about 5–6 square metres. And they are of a particularly high quality. This means that the leather shows little damage, for example from injuries, which indicates that the animals are kept in a good state of welfare."

"Speaking of looks – what about aesthetics? The "OLEA" leather is inspired by classic club armchairs, which develop a very special character in the course of their natural ageing process. This should also be achieved for the Taycan. Using a specific printing process, a surface was generated that resembles an aniline leather – a very natural leather. This means that the patina of the leather, which is available in four colours, will continue to develop individually during the time in the car."

Last edited:

tk23

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mclaren 600LT. Porsche macan gts. Porsche 964 C4. Volvo xc90
Country flag
I have the black olea club leather. It's very nice. I only spent a brief time at the dealer in a car with the regular leather. I can definitely tell a difference but the regular leather is also nice as well. I came from a macan GTS with full leather in bordeaux red/black and there is a clear upgrade in quality with the olea club. I'm happy with my choice but I suspect I wouldn't be disappointed if my car had the standard leather.

Arno

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Turbo S & Tesla Model-S 100D
Country flag
I have the black olea club leather. It's very nice. I only spent a brief time at the dealer in a car with the regular leather. I can definitely tell a difference but the regular leather is also nice as well. I came from a macan GTS with full leather in bordeaux red/black and there is a clear upgrade in quality with the olea club. I'm happy with my choice but I suspect I wouldn't be disappointed if my car had the standard leather.
I also went for the Olea leather, but still follow Tyler on his view here. I don't think it will make a huge difference, when standard leather definitely also is of good Porsche quality as usual. The most obvious difference, except for a slightly different patina over time, is that Olea has this name typed on the sides of their seats. In addition there is some extra leather on the back of the seat rest, as well as a longitudinal nice stitching along the way. The Olea leather aroma is also less prominent than leather tanned in the old way, but the new car smell disappears after some time anyway. When the Taycan is delivered, the leather type is probably no longer in the mind, as all focus most likely will be on pure driving pleasure :involve:

Porsche Taycan 'Standard' leather vs. Olea leather? OleaLeather

Porsche Taycan 'Standard' leather vs. Olea leather? OleaLeather - II

Last edited: