Standard tracker vs category 7 aftermarket

OP
OP

kingy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Panamera E-Hybrid, Taycan Turbo (ordered)
Country flag
It should be noted that keeping the fob attached to the key will reduce security in a number of scenarios.
I guess this was exactly the point I was trying to make originally. If your car was stolen with the fob attached to your keys there may be an issue making an insurance claim as the car could be driven away without an alarm being raised. The fob should be kept away from your keys as the system is designed to raise such an alarm if the car is driven away and no fob is present.
Sponsored

old seadog

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4CT
Country flag
It is a quandary, keep both together or not. I use the pouch so as not to forget the tracker fob and not have to keep going back indoors to pick it up. Comes of being older/retired I suppose, with no daily commute or such, so for me it works. They are together in my pocket when out and about or in the key safe when at home.

bootsie

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Golf GTI 16v
Country flag
It should be noted that keeping the fob attached to the key will reduce security in a number of scenarios.
Yes, makes sense.
Shame the PTVS+ fob isn't an RFID card that just fits in a wallet. I guess it needs higher security. Still a pain though - not sure how I'd carry this extra fob around without having it on my keyring or constantly forgetting it. I did read in the GTK guide that you can be charged if you get a phone call from the control centre because your car is moving without the fob in it (e.g. on a ferry) and you haven't told them about it.
Looks like a good use case for a smartphone-linked "key" system.

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Fiat 500 EV
Country flag
I actually thought this would be a bigger deal for me too – but it hasn't really been that bad. In Ireland, not having your license with you if stopped at police checkpoint can lead to fines and is frowned upon. So my thought process when driving is: keys + license.

Therefore, I keep my PVTS+ "card" & license together in my wallet. To-date in past year, I haven't driven off without the PVTS+ card.

I agree it could be a lot more elegant. It actually looks like fairy old technology (came from an Italian company called Cobra that Vodafone purchased) and the associated iOS app was last updated for iPhone 5 screen resolutions.

But it does appear to work well enough. Plus, my insurance company (CHUBB) insist on the tracker being active and working, so there is that incentive.

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I did read in the GTK guide that you can be charged if you get a phone call from the control centre because your car is moving without the fob in it (e.g. on a ferry) and you haven't told them about it.
I believe informally you get 3 (or is it 5?) false alarms a year. In my first year of Porsche ownership (not a Taycan), I've had two theft activations:

a] First was dropping car in to my Porsche Centre to ask them to take the e-hybrid badges off the door. Forgot to leave the PVTS+ fob in the car and when they drove it round the back to the service entrance, it activated and they rang me.

b] Second time was a false-alarm that triggered for unknown reasons as car was sitting in underground car park perfectly happily.

I didn't get any sense from the contact centre that either was a problem.

Last edited:

Taycanturbolondon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I have a Vodafone monitored system on my other car. I have had many false alarms. They don't care in reality.

Also in a landmark case it was found that an insurance company cannot refuse to pay out as the items were kept together on a fob. It was deemed too unreasonable to always seperate them

As someone who has had their car stolen without keys being stolen it works amazingly. My range rover belive it or not was stolen twice and recovered both times. The factory tracker on range rover was cat6 but could be disconnected in 30seconds. The well fitted cat 5 tracker always alluded the thieves.

JamieG

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover Velar SE
Country flag
Hi all, just looking at my insurance options as my cheapest quote out of Compare The Market is £2979 for the 4S! So, going to see if I can find any cheaper insurers elsewhere. And whether having a tracker would cheapen the price.

Therefore, I was wondering:

1) Is the factory fitted tracker active by default?
2) Does it include an immobiliser?
3) I see Admiral and Churchill being touted here - is there any other companies I should reach out to?
4) What's the difference between Porsche Vehicle Tracking System and Porsche Vehicle Tracking System Plus?

Taycanturbolondon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Hi all, just looking at my insurance options as my cheapest quote out of Compare The Market is £2979 for the 4S! So, going to see if I can find any cheaper insurers elsewhere. And whether having a tracker would cheapen the price.

Therefore, I was wondering:

1) Is the factory fitted tracker active by default? No you pay 269 per annum
2) Does it include an immobiliser? Yes
3) I see Admiral and Churchill being touted here - is there any other companies I should reach out to?
4) What's the difference between Porsche Vehicle Tracking System and Porsche Vehicle Tracking System Plus?
Our cars are fitted with Porsche tracking system plus. This is a cat 5 tracker which you need to subscribe to at a cost of 269 per annum.

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
1) Is the factory fitted tracker active by default?
No, you have to subscribe at your Porsche Centre. The "national service centre" for UK & Ireland is run by Vodafone. There are 1 year and 3 year deals and as far as I know, they stay with the car and are nontransferable.

2) Does it include an immobiliser?
Yes.

I am not familiar with the UK market, however, my insurance is with CHUBB which is underwritten from the UK. They may not be the cheapest, but they have excellent policy terms for high-value cars, including vandalism clauses, etc.

PVTS+ is the only available option in the UK & Ireland market.

PVTS: Porsche tracking without the extra security fob.
PVTS+: Porsche tracking with the security fob.

Neighs

First Name
Horsey
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, BMW X3 35d, BMW 135i
Country flag
PVTS+ is the only available option in the UK & Ireland market.

PVTS: Porsche tracking without the extra security fob.
PVTS+: Porsche tracking with the security fob.
Do you know why PVTS is not available in the UK?

I really don't fancy the inconvenience of an extra security fob ... it doesn't really make sense why you should have to have 2 fobs.

I wanted to subscribe to PVTS, but as you say, it doesn't seem to be available without the extra card.

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Do you know why PVTS is not available in the UK?

I really don't fancy the inconvenience of an extra security fob ... it doesn't really make sense why you should have to have 2 fobs.

I wanted to subscribe to PVTS, but as you say, it doesn't seem to be available without the extra card.
Not really. PVTS and its variants are really just a Porsche branding layered onto regional implementations. So PVTS+ is Vodafone in Europe but likely something else in the Americas, Asia, etc.

I would imagine it's a combination of regional insurance requirement norms and what suppliers have available.

If you don't "value" what the card brings in terms of security, there is nothing stopping you leaving it in the glove box or boot. That way it will always be present with reduced security.

Neighs

First Name
Horsey
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, BMW X3 35d, BMW 135i
Country flag
Not really. PVTS and its variants are really just a Porsche branding layered onto regional implementations. So PVTS+ is Vodafone in Europe but likely something else in the Americas, Asia, etc.

I would imagine it's a combination of regional insurance requirement norms and what suppliers have available.

If you don't "value" what the card brings in terms of security, there is nothing stopping you leaving it in the glove box or boot. That way it will always be present with reduced security.
I’m not sure you can leave it in the car, for sure I read that in some countries at least, if it’s left in the car when the car is switched off for more than 30 minutes it is deactivated!

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I’m not sure you can leave it in the car, for sure I read that in some countries at least, if it’s left in the car when the car is switched off for more than 30 minutes it is deactivated!
I had forgotten that – looks like its for Belgium & Luxembourg.

Porsche Taycan Standard tracker vs category 7 aftermarket Screenshot 2020-11-22 at 10.13.05

Gogs

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, 911 4S, Range Rover Sport Hybrid, Range Rover Vouge
Country flag
in the UK you can leave the fobs in the car. Obviously the point is you remove from car but I’ve left mine in the car for weeks with no problem.
Sponsored