UK_Tycan

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi
Country flag
My CT 4 seems to only charge to 97% on a 7kW charger.

Charging slows to 2kW, then seems to stop. Anyone know what could be causing this? Sometimes I need the extra 3%...!

Porsche Taycan Stuck at 97% Screenshot 2021-12-12 at 18.31.28
Sponsored

svp6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S
Country flag
Your car is still charging based on the picture - albeit at a very low level (close to 0.0 kW). In fact it predicts your battery will be fully charged at 05:56 tomorrow. If the car stopped charging, the battery display would be white-ish instead of green.

I remember the Tesla had a lot of cell buffering to do at the top end, and it took quite a while to reach 100%. Could it be that the new Porsche software has much less buffer at the top end - and charging must be slower?

Try to wait and see if it ever hits 100%.

Also, if you have a predictable departure time you should use it - it pre-heats your car and battery for optimal driving at set time. That will make it comfortable - and increase your range.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Thanks, I don’t have any set
93004352-0D2D-444E-8CC3-D9AC376E30EE.png
B86356E1-CB71-4907-8E21-FC11149AC46B.png
Ok so set a timer and a profile.

Profile should be set to your home location and set the minimum charge to 25% and a preferred charging window of 00:00 to 07:00.

Set a timer (daily or whatever) with a departure time of 07:00. Set the target charge to 100%. Typically you only want to charge to 85% on a daily basis but for this test set to 100%.

The car should comfortably charge from a State of Charge (SOC) 30% to 100% during the allotted window above. 0% to 100% might be challenge in 7 hrs. 14% to 85% no sweat.

I'm assuming a single phase supply (7.4kW, 32A circuit) and an EVSE with a minimum of 9.6kW power handling ( e.g. Porsche Mobile Charger Plus or Porsche Mobile Charger Connect).

Remember that charging the last few percent can take a disproportionate amount of time so don't push it unnecessarily.

Reasonably confident the above will work for you and then you can fine tune.

OP
OP

UK_Tycan

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi
Country flag
Thanks - but it’s been on 24 hours now, the time just keeps extending out (see attached).

We are backto Working from home in the UK again, so no predictable times at all! But I do manually preheat using the app.

Porsche Taycan Stuck at 97% A9751522-8D2A-4A8F-AD8A-4ED443D69DF4

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Thanks - but it’s been on 24 hours now, the time just keeps extending out (see attached).

We are backto Working from home in the UK again, so no predictable times at all! But I do manually preheat using the app.

A9751522-8D2A-4A8F-AD8A-4ED443D69DF4.jpeg
That's because you have no end time set - follow my last post.

OP
OP

UK_Tycan

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi
Country flag
Posts crossed, yes I will do the Setting you suggest, but I don’t understand why the car needs to be told this through those settings. If I was on the road and needed a full charge I don’t want to be doing this to get there.
Phase, 32A circuit to. 7.2kW charge, was running at 6.7kW.

svp6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S
Country flag
Sounds like a road trip to your dealer is in your immediate future....

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Posts crossed, yes I will do the Setting you suggest, but I don’t understand why the car needs to be told this through those settings. If I was on the road and needed a full charge I don’t want to be doing this to get there.
Phase, 32A circuit to. 7.2kW charge, was running at 6.7kW.
Ideally you want DC charging which overrides any timer or profile. When Public AC charging just tap "Direct Charge" on the central panel and this will override for the session (switch it back off afterwards otherwise your home timer and profile settings will be ignored).

OP
OP

UK_Tycan

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi
Country flag
surly though with no profile or timers it should charge to 100%? I have set the timers and profiles like your suggested, so now it’s ‘paused’. I did press the ‘Direct Charging’ option, and it went green - and to 0kW again. If it does not charge by morning I will try another charger.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
surly though with no profile or timers it should charge to 100%? I have set the timers and profiles like your suggested, so now it’s ‘paused’. I did press the ‘Direct Charging’ option, and it went green - and to 0kW again. If it does not charge by morning I will try another charger.
I think the absence of a timer let's the car effectively trickle to 100% as there is no 'must be ready by' condition.

Blue is good - paused and will have calculated when it needs to start charging to complete the 100% request within your preferred charging times.

What EVSE do you have (wall box, and note it is not a charger as this resides physically in the car for AC and DC charging))?

OP
OP

UK_Tycan

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi
Country flag
I think the absence of a timer let's the car effectively trickle to 100% as there is no 'must be ready by' condition.

Blue is good - paused and will have calculated when it needs to start charging to complete the 100% request within your preferred charging times.

What EVSE do you have (wall box, and note it is not a charger as this resides physically in the car for AC and DC charging))?
it’s not a trickle, it’s zero, I measured the current going to the charger.

I think this whole thing with ‘charger’ is a bit strange - technically it’s a device that allows the car to draw AC current, measures it, and communicates with the car to manage the charging. I think that is a charger.

For DC charging the ‘charger’ is not in the car, ghe AC to DC rectifier and power electronics is in the ‘charger’, that the car is hooked up to.

I have an EO Minipro 2.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
it’s not a trickle, it’s zero, I measured the current going to the charger.

I think this whole thing with ‘charger’ is a bit strange - technically it’s a device that allows the car to draw AC current, measures it, and communicates with the car to manage the charging. I think that is a charger.

For DC charging the ‘charger’ is not in the car, ghe AC to DC rectifier and power electronics is in the ‘charger’, that the car is hooked up to.

I have an EO Minipro 2.
The car has the charger. The EVSE simply provides a stable (and safe) current flow. The car also manages the charging process and not the EVSE.

See what happens in the morning but it could be a communication issue with your EVSE. Any reason why you aren't using the Porsche Mobile Charger Plus that you got with the car?
Sponsored