Charlie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
Yep. Type 2 lead in my car now. I had one for the xc90 hybrid we have and also a lighter 3 point plug lead - so will carry both now. Other advice is if you find a decent dc charger when out. Use it to give you the miles you need for that trip. Plus a few more. My problem was I used the first dc charger to get me to my destination due to time constraints. Thinking I would just do the same there to get back. Obviously that plan did not work!!
[/QUOTE
Always have a type 2 cable with you so you can top up from the slow chargers which don't have a cable. Note this cable will fit into the small storage compartment below the trunk floor, so it doesn't actually affect anything to keep it there at all times.

For a true roadtrip I would bring the mobile charger with me as well which includes a regular electricity plug and three phase plug. But on every trip I recommend having the type 2 cable in the car at least.
What Type 2 cable would you suggest I buy that would fit in the small storage compartment? I'd like to get one to leave in the car as well.
Sponsored

Gogs

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, 911 4S, Range Rover Sport Hybrid, Range Rover Vouge
Country flag
I’d get a coiled one so it ‘expands’ from charger to car and doesn’t hit the ground. That’s what I have under the trunk cover.

jetbox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
Country flag
I thought the likes of RAC and the AA carried a charger for EV’s now for just these type of events?

Gogs

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, 911 4S, Range Rover Sport Hybrid, Range Rover Vouge
Country flag
I thought the likes of RAC and the AA carried a charger for EV’s now for just these type of events?
Haven’t heard that. It would need to be a pretty big battery.

OP
OP
lucan6699

lucan6699

First Name
lawrence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
taycan, bentley
Country flag
Rac have developed it. But not in action yet. And when they do, it will only be 6 vehicles apparently.

surely there is a market for specific ev breakdown service?
the market is getting bigger and more people are getting caught out from the swap over and the different thought process required.
tbh, I thought Porsche assist would be a little more exclusive (like Land Rover etc), rather than just the AA answering the phone as Porsche assist?

Last edited:

Charlie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
I’d get a coiled one so it ‘expands’ from charger to car and doesn’t hit the ground. That’s what I have under the trunk cover.
Could you send a link to what you recommend? Thanks!

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Thanks! I wonder if anyone else can provide a link to something that would be good to carry in the US.
In the US you just need to install PlugShare.com on your phone and register for free. That will cover many places, if you do go to remote locations then you need to carry a portable EVSE with at least NEMA 14-50 for camp grounds but there is a good thread by @daveo4EV for the topic. https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/threads/ev-roadwarrior-adapters-“kit”.1364/

But don't be frightened by that, it's really only if you are going far off beaten path.

If you have a few journeys planned, go to ABetterRoutePlanner.com and check out the charging recommendationes. After selecting Taycan I recommend tweaking the efficiency to 300watts/mi.

Charlie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
In the US you just need to install PlugShare.com on your phone and register for free. That will cover many places, if you do go to remote locations then you need to carry a portable EVSE with at least NEMA 14-50 for camp grounds but there is a good thread by @daveo4EV for the topic. https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/threads/ev-roadwarrior-adapters-“kit”.1364/

But don't be frightened by that, it's really only if you are going far off beaten path.

If you have a few journeys planned, go to ABetterRoutePlanner.com and check out the charging recommendationes. After selecting Taycan I recommend tweaking the efficiency to 300watts/mi.
Thanks!
Sponsored