Swapped my 21” Goodyear Eagle F1 tyres for 20” P Zero winters today - impressions

Cwood#44

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2013 Audi A7
Country flag
The ride quality of the Taycan Cross Turismo was the thing which surprised me the most when i first drove one.

My winter wheels/tyres arrived this morning so got them fitted and on my normal bumpy uneven route up to The Ridgeway the ride was notably better than with the 21” summer tyres.

Sport mode is still something to avoid, comfort wise, on that road though!
Have also 20' Pirelli P Zero's. They feel great and did phenomenal on a 5000km drive to Florida and back with heavy rains in Florida and wet snow once back in Ontario. A ton of money for tires and rims package, but you can't just buy any old rims and tires. Very happy, and Winter is JUST beginning here in Collingwood, Ontario.
Sponsored

MrBlueSky

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4S
Country flag
The ride quality of the Taycan Cross Turismo was the thing which surprised me the most when i first drove one.

My winter wheels/tyres arrived this morning so got them fitted and on my normal bumpy uneven route up to The Ridgeway the ride was notably better than with the 21” summer tyres.

With the arrival of the first snow here and a reminder of just how poor the roads can be where I live, I have opted for the 20” wheels with winters as well.

I will get them fitted once the car is actually delivered.

Porsche Taycan Swapped my 21” Goodyear Eagle F1 tyres for 20” P Zero winters today - impressions 538D303A-E610-44F9-AAAD-BC09E51F430C

Last edited:
OP
OP
f1eng

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
First long trip and before regen has clicked in so not expecting much efficiency and thats what I got!
The first half of the journey was motorway at legal speed and 49kWh per 100 miles ~ 1.9 miles /kWh
The second half in traffic and fog the overall crept up to 2.2 mi/kWh average. 226 miles in 5:12 driving, average 45 mph. A bit worse than I had hoped but I had planned for the worst. Temperature between -1.5 and 3 C.
My first charge not at home started badly when my RFID card didn’t work. It was at a Porsche centre so they checked all the possibilities for me and stayed baffled so ordered a new card.
They were super helpful but I ended up spending over an hour there.

Anyway the car is great in every way.

buruburu

First Name
Sherman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag

Sounds like you have the air suspension. Range mode is even rougher. Fairly certain that this is due to the reduced suspension travel.

I've just switched over from 21" summers to 20" winters... when the outside temperature dropped, the 21" gave a lot of juddering on full lock when cold (Ackerman effect?), the winters have eliminated the juddering altogether.
Tough to say for certain. There are two factors at play here. First factor is that when summer tires get cold, they get rock hard. Second being that going from 21" to 20", you are increasing your side wall height assuming that overall diameter is being maintained. More sidewall means that your tires are able to be more compliant.

The judder that you were feeling on the 21" summer could be due to the rubber hardening and then skipping against the surface rather than flexing and deforming the tire wall.
Sponsored