Swapping wheels and tires?

slothinker

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 (now sold), Toyota MR2, BMW 328i (now sold)
Country flag
I recently purchased a base Taycan with basic 19-inch wheels. Some folks are after-market selling very low mileage sets of 19-inch Aero wheels+tires ("laser cut"). The Aero look lots better than the base wheel design so it's tempting to switch however I'm not sure what all would be involved.

Does each wheel's sensor need to be replaced with the four sensors from my car? Is this a switch best done by Porsche? If it's done by a good tire shop, would that affect the warranty either for the car itself or the wheel and tire warranty I purchased from Porsche when acquiring the vehicle? As an aside, I figure the seller switched to 20-inch or 21-inch wheels. (It's just personal taste but the car looks great to me w/ 19-inchers. Maybe there are other reasons to switch?)
Sponsored

chalkrwd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 TAYCAN RWD
Country flag
I personally think you would be better off bringing them to a wheel repair/powder coating place to have them designed how you want (or just like the aero ones) or even getting other aftermarket 19s. Buying those wheels likely cost more than that would, and if you buy the used ones then you have to deal with your old set.

OP
OP
slothinker

slothinker

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Chalkrwd, thanks for the excellent suggestions. When my current tires wear out, I'm going to powder coat these wheels to more closely resemble the aero ones I prefer.

Windpower

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y, BMW X3, Taycan RWD Coffee
Country flag
I bought a winter set of tires on 20" rims, so all that needed to be done was to swap tires. The cost was around $2000.- for 4 tires, rims and TPMS sensors.

whan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD, Ferrari 458, Lexus GX460
Country flag
Other reasons to switch to bigger wheels would be for improved handling, mostly because of wider tires. The larger wheel diameters have wider rubber. Some reviewers note the cars have understeer at the limit, and it seems it's particularly noticeable on the 19s (Throttle House Review). Likely in part because on 19s it is 225/275 front/rear widths which rear is 22% wider than front. On 20s 245/285 its 16% and 21s 265/305 its 15%

Granted you'll take an efficiency and comfort hit as a tradeoff, particularly on the 21s. So really depends what you want out of your car. I personally decided the 20s were probably the way to go, but don't blame anyone for choosing differently. I bought aftermarket 20" wheels, and may even do a non-OEM 255/295 setup instead to bridge the gap

philbur

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1997 911 C2 (993), 2015 Cayenne S, 1978 VW Bus
Country flag
im going the other way.. have the 21s, they did not do well against a couple pot holes.. so bought a used set of 19s. i might use the 19s for winters and get 20s for summer.. im really disappointed in the roads and how soft the 21s are on a taycan - the weight of the car + 21s isnt a good combo.

OP
OP
slothinker

slothinker

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
When you changed out the wheels, did you have Porsche do the work or just a regular tire shop?

I bought a winter set of tires on 20" rims, so all that needed to be done was to swap tires. The cost was around $2000.- for 4 tires, rims and TPMS sensors.

PaulaJP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan
Country flag
Have you driven through the winter yet? my Taycan is on a vessel now, should be here in a week. I am picking it up in Long Island. Mine is rear wheel drive as well and I am worried coming from a suv.

philbur

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1997 911 C2 (993), 2015 Cayenne S, 1978 VW Bus
Country flag
When you changed out the wheels, did you have Porsche do the work or just a regular tire shop?
Tires are tires - i usually go to a racing shop, but discount or any place where they will pay attention to what they are doing should to the trick. Nothing special about mounting tires (i can even do it!)

Windpower

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y, BMW X3, Taycan RWD Coffee
Country flag
I used my local tire shop. I made sure they used rubber inserts on their jacks to protect the battery on the bottom of the car. I keep a set of rubber inserts in the frunk of both the Taycan and my Tesla.

Have you driven through the winter yet? my Taycan is on a vessel now, should be here in a week. I am picking it up in Long Island. Mine is rear wheel drive as well and I am worried coming from a suv.
I have. It was fine but we have a four wheel drive SUV if the roads were really bad. I keep my Taycan garaged and it’s also a RWD. I think I only had two days last winter where I wouldn’t drive the Taycan.

gusone

First Name
gus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW Series 3 XDRIVE M SPORT
Country flag
I have only ever driven 4WD cars so I was also concerned when I got a RWD. But, the RWD sticks to the ground like it is on rails and feels like my former BMW Xdrives. It is a heavy car which obviously helps.

B61

First Name
Bine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4 (9/2021)
Country flag
Tires are tires - i usually go to a racing shop, but discount or any place where they will pay attention to what they are doing should to the trick. Nothing special about mounting tires (i can even do it!)
As far as I know, TPMS needs to be "registered" by Porsche authorized shop.
Sponsored