f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
It cannot be based on measurements made under different conditions.

Car and Driver tested them in the same conditions : 3.1 vs 3.4.
Porsche confirms : 3.5 vs 3.8.

So if we want to be precise, it is therefore exactly 0.3.
IME there are things "outside" the car which have such a big influence on powerful cars the whole debate is a bit bonkers.

In 1993 Michael Schumacher lost a lot of places at the start of every Grand Prix which negated his good qualifying, it was pre-DRS and overtaking was rare outside pit strategy.
I was Chief Engineer at Benetton at the time and decided we would practice starts every time we did a pit exit through winter testing for 1994 - there was also a lot of track testing back then, unlike now, but fewer races.
The main thing there was him getting used to the temperature sensitive friction coefficient of the small composite clutch but we also found very big differences just stopping on a different bit of road surface, with tyre prep, type and temperature.

If a car has enough power to brake traction keeping the wheel over-rotation near optimum for the entire grip-limited time makes a big difference.

I don't know at what point the power is no longer enough to spin the wheels between 0 and 60 but up to that point the tyre/road surface is the limit as much as the car.

I have never seen a journalistic source, whether written or on a video done by anybody who knows this, so they are all just entertainment not serious technical evaluations IMO and IME.

I could almost certainly formulate a test where a 4S out accelerated a turbo up to 60mph.

I see speculation that the RWD has its power deliberately held back and I am sure it is seriously held back by the PSM software because it has so much less traction grip than 4WD initially.

I wonder how far any Taycan goes in the 0-60 sprint before the PSM is allowing full power...

Has anybody tried doing an entirely driver skill 0-60 with PSM off?
Sponsored

alexz

First Name
Alexandre
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS / Tesla P100D
Country flag
I have never seen a journalistic source, whether written or on a video done by anybody who knows this, so they are all just entertainment not serious technical evaluations IMO and IME.
Agree, this is why the Porsche data is the only reliable one.

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
Agree, this is why the Porsche data is the only reliable one.
Absolutely, they are the only ones with all the data.

I don’t know when during the 0-60 sprint a Taycan ceases to be grip limited but it will be dependant on tyre and condition of road surface.

The acceleration will also depend on the calibration of the Porsche PSM which may well be calibrated to make sure the more expensive version is always quicker.

I am pretty sure a 4S on warm summer tyres on 21” rims will be potentially quicker from 0 to 60 than a Turbo on all season tyres and 20” rims with their narrower tyres. It just depends on how long the grip limit is exceeded.

My Ferrari has 380bhp and no driver over-ride.
It is only rear wheel drive but on Pirelli P-zeros that is more power than it can transmit to the road from a standstill, it takes considerable driver skill to do a fast launch limiting wheelspin.

Of course in most, if not all, powerful cars today all the skill is applied by an engineer to the software in the stability control driver over-ride :)

Last edited:

Mattyh

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
540i
Country flag
- specific damper calibration.
- 20 % stiffer anti-roll bars front and rear.
- higher spring rates.
- the three-chamber air suspension setup now uses all three chambers only for Normal mode, with Sport and Sport Plus both reverting to a single chamber, unlike the 4S.

Edmunds : You really feel the difference between the 4S and the GTS in corners.
The GTS' suspension is better at keeping the car balanced .
It's the (30 %) extra torque that really makes a difference... it absolutely rockets out of a corner. While it's no 911, no other electric vehicle feels quite as good or engaging on a track as the Taycan GTS.

There is not a single review that says otherwise...
Of course it’s always the 4s owners in denial 🤣
Sponsored