First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Country flag
Hi everyone.
First post here. From Sydney, Australia and have ordered a new 4S due early Jan. Freeze date coming late next month and doing the usual crazy research on options. In the meantime, I've found a used 1 year old GTS with 5.5k km's. Descent spec in Crayon (my order would be Ice Grey) with full black Mission Es. For my order on the new 4S, with options I'm looking at, the new 4S is around the same price of the 1 yr old GTS. Noting that the 4S will be 18 months newer. I've spec'd the GTS on the configurator and the depreciation on new cost is around 19% so I feel like it's a cracker deal. Getting new is also very special obviously, selecting an exact spec you want. Don't want to do the whole what would you do but any glaring / strong thoughts / opinions on either option?
Sponsored

andb

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
What specs that you want in 4S are missing on GTS?
If nothing important I would take GTS but depending on roads quality in your area keep in mid that 4S is more comfotable.

Maybe you can post both specs.

OP
OP

PeterNA

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Country flag
Thanks for the response, specs:

New 4S
Ice grey, 21 Spyder wheels, Black/Crayon leather, 18 way seats, 4+1, Window trims in black, Rear logo in black, Chrono, Pano roof, Sport Sound, Ambient lighting, Elec charge cover, Passenger display and considering real axle steering (crap when I write it all up I realise I'm speccing too high lol)

Used GTS
Crayon, 21 Mission Es in all black, GTS interior package in Crayon, Ambient lighting, 4+1, elec charge cover, Pano roof, Passenger display, rear axle steering, on board charger.
The GTS also has the upgraded battery and thinking the sport sound would be standard but not 100% sure.

Thinking the GTS covers main 4S options....

Deleted member 6348

The GTS already took the big depreciation hit. Is it a CPO car?

MConte05

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4. GTS ST inbound
Country flag
GTS, I’ve been shocked with the ride quality in mine, it’s honestly better than my CT4 it feels like on bad roads, so I wouldn’t take the opinion of “the GTS rides worse “. It’s firmer but the body control is unreal.

WattTurbo

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 C2S, Taycan Turbo
Country flag
There's nothing like the feeling of driving a brand new car. I've only purchased new vehicles and keep them for a very long time so the "drive off the lot" depreciation doesn't affect me. OP - if you're planning to only drive it for a couple of years then move onto something else then GTS for sure.

Rob28

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan GTS, '22 Lexus NX350 (Wife's)
Country flag
im biased but I would choose the GTS - i have a crayon GTS and love it!

mlambert890

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I faced similar choice a few years back, Turbo vs 4S, and went Turbo. Only regret is that I wasn’t able to find a Turbo with adaptive cruise that I wanted, but the car I found had full coverage XPEL Stealth, which was an $8k super high quality job, and had already taken a 15% depreciation hit despite having only 1200 miles (and this was at the peak of the used market craziness). Other than adaptive cruise, it had everything I wanted and even had carbon ceramics. HUD would have been nice, but wasn’t a thing in 2020 anyway 😕

I agree that “new car appeal” is strong though and sometimes that bugs me, despite that hilarious, very valid, Porsche marketing campaign from the bygone era 🤣

RingoDingo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
For me finding out that the CPO GTS had PPF would be the determinative factor. I'd already be leaning GTS, but not having to add PPF to a new car would sway me.

I like knowing that I'm the only owner of my current car and spec'ing it to my preference, but unless you're getting seriously unique options, I think in the long run you'd probably not care all that much.

Black emblem you can always do yourself and electric sport sound is a nice to have but wouldn't pass on the car for lack of having it. If the GTS looks well cared for, go for it.

TDinDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan 4S Cross Turismo, '06 Club Coupe (#48)
Country flag
The wise financial choice by far when thinking about Porsche is to buy pre-owned.

Porsche is the ideal car to buy preowned. Many Porsche owners who buy new cars tend to cycle quickly, and they tend to put low miles on cars and take care of them. Also, they tend to have hockey stick depreciation, falling a lot over the first few years and then leveling out, which means you can really get the benefit of the bargain by buying a one or two year old pre-owned Porsche.

The risks for buying a new Porsche are also relatively low so long as it has not been in a major accident (which is one reason why buying CPO is useful). This is even more true for non-manual transmission cars, because there are less chances for engine damage from Type II overrevs, although you can tell immediately whether a car has any buy looking at the data download.

Once you buy a car and use it for any amount of time, it becomes a "used" car, so that "new car" joy is very short-lived indeed.

For all of these reasons, I strongly prefer to buy pre-owned, and only buy new (which I have done several times), when I cannot find a car with the option I want or if the model is too new (like for my Taycan CT), or if someone is flipping the car for a mark-up.

I would go with the pre-owned. Just inspect carefully (even take to independent third party if you like).

RGBArgee

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4SCrossT.992 Turbo S.Audi S3 8Y, MG Midget
Country flag
Hi everyone.
First post here. From Sydney, Australia and have ordered a new 4S due early Jan. Freeze date coming late next month and doing the usual crazy research on options. In the meantime, I've found a used 1 year old GTS with 5.5k km's. Descent spec in Crayon (my order would be Ice Grey) with full black Mission Es. For my order on the new 4S, with options I'm looking at, the new 4S is around the same price of the 1 yr old GTS. Noting that the 4S will be 18 months newer. I've spec'd the GTS on the configurator and the depreciation on new cost is around 19% so I feel like it's a cracker deal. Getting new is also very special obviously, selecting an exact spec you want. Don't want to do the whole what would you do but any glaring / strong thoughts / opinions on either option?
If you like Alcantara everywhere GTS is fine. I’m not a fan!

RGBArgee

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4SCrossT.992 Turbo S.Audi S3 8Y, MG Midget
Country flag
The wise financial choice by far when thinking about Porsche is to buy pre-owned.

Porsche is the ideal car to buy preowned. Many Porsche owners who buy new cars tend to cycle quickly, and they tend to put low miles on cars and take care of them. Also, they tend to have hockey stick depreciation, falling a lot over the first few years and then leveling out, which means you can really get the benefit of the bargain by buying a one or two year old pre-owned Porsche.

The risks for buying a new Porsche are also relatively low so long as it has not been in a major accident (which is one reason why buying CPO is useful). This is even more true for non-manual transmission cars, because there are less chances for engine damage from Type II overrevs, although you can tell immediately whether a car has any buy looking at the data download.

Once you buy a car and use it for any amount of time, it becomes a "used" car, so that "new car" joy is very short-lived indeed.

For all of these reasons, I strongly prefer to buy pre-owned, and only buy new (which I have done several times), when I cannot find a car with the option I want or if the model is too new (like for my Taycan CT), or if someone is flipping the car for a mark-up.

I would go with the pre-owned. Just inspect carefully (even take to independent third party if you like).
In the UK there are significant Tax advantages buying new for businesses.
Sponsored