Taycan as your only car?

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
Not a very big sample yet on this thread, but what's here generally confirms my assessment from following numerous BEV forums: (1) Most BEV owners also own at least one other car with an ICE in it for road trips. (2) Most BEV owners who do not own another car with an ICE in it do not do road trips much with their BEV, if at all (i.e., they will fly to wherever they are going, or they'll rent a car with an ICE in it). (3) Most BEV owners don't use public charging much, if at all, and charge chiefly at home (or at work). This will change, of course, a decade from now, but until public-charging infrastructure, battery-charging times, and battery range/technology all improve, BEVs will take time to become mainstream in society.
I don't know your source of data but EV owners fall into two camps, just like ICE owners, some who take many road trips in their cars and some who only drive locally.

that said the majority of ALL car owners rarely take extended road trips in their vehicles.

In a bit over a month of owning my taycan I have taken a 500 mile R/T and a 300 mile R/T.

I have driven my prior teslas all over most of the country, FLA to the NYC area many times, FLA to Dallas TX, FLA to chicago, FLA to colorado.

cars like the tesla with their AP system are a pleasure to drive long distances and the Taycan is a wonderful car for long distance driving.

my wife's car is an ICE, I would never consider road tripping in her car and her next car will be an EV
Sponsored

Skier

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
My Turbo is my daily driver but I also have a 2021 BMWX3e Hybrid that I use to haul things or in bad weather. Though the Taycan holds an impressive amount in the trunk its not an SUV. Taycan = best car ever.

esortho

First Name
Soren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Family of 3, the Taycan is our only car. Love it! Always charged when I need it, excellent to drive and ride, nice that it is not ICE.
At least in Sweden you often hear the argument "but it doesn't have a trailer hook", but since I have, in 30 years of driving, used a trailer at most thrice I don't really see that as an argument. Also, more convenient to rent a small truck instead of renting a trailer.
For the money you save on gas and the fun you have, you can rent an ICE if needed :)

TYKHAAAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Ram 2500, Hyundai Pallisade
Taycan is my daily, we have roomy Maxima and a big truck for other needs, but we use the Taycan far more than them. At least I do anyway. We use it for long trips, with planning but places we tend to drive to have super chargers en route pretty easy. Depending on where you live, and where you trip to, I think EVs can easily be your primary. We have not had a use case yet (only had it about 3 months and 3500 miles) where there was absolutely a need for an ICE vs EV, only need for more storage, or i didnt want to put dogs or really dirty stuff in the Taycan. If you go for the Turismo, even better for room and storage. I’d put my dogs in the back of that, as well as dirty stuff with a mat to protect the interior.

SYN_Skydance

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s and MG ZS EV
Country flag
Although we do have two cars, our other car is a BMW i3. The i3 only has a 60 mile range so the Taycan is our main car. We've had the Taycan for over three months and had no problems.

Benjamin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Twingo
Country flag
The Taycan is my fourth Porsche and I have configured it very lovingly.

And after a good year, I can say that I haven't missed anything, and I don't have anything that I would leave out. Okay, the front storage in the center tunnel and the Charger. But I couldn't leave that out.

No glass roof, no clock on the dashboard. The small battery. No leather. But roll stabilization and the rear axle steering. Now in summer it gets 22 inch wheels.

I should have maybe replaced the Bose with the Burmester. This I had in the 991.2 and I miss it.

And, now that it is possible: I could imagine omitting the engine on the front axle. But I have to test it first.

oalsaker

First Name
Øystein
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Crayon Taycan 4s
Country flag
The Taycan is my only vehicle. I have decided to stay a member of a carpool for any kind of driving that needs a larger boot space. So far, the only thing we had to haul in a different car was an office chair. One time we rented a van to haul a cabinet, looking at the flat packed IKEA-furniture as we loaded it up, we realized the Taycan would have taken it with ease. Some things the Taycan can't fit, I couldn't even fit in my previous A4 Stationwagon, despite the hatch.

OP
OP

rich_r

First Name
RIch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover sport
Country flag
The Taycan is my only vehicle. I have decided to stay a member of a carpool for any kind of driving that needs a larger boot space. So far, the only thing we had to haul in a different car was an office chair. One time we rented a van to haul a cabinet, looking at the flat packed IKEA-furniture as we loaded it up, we realized the Taycan would have taken it with ease. Some things the Taycan can't fit, I couldn't even fit in my previous A4 Stationwagon, despite the hatch.
Having had a wagon, do you miss the hatch?

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
But that’s not exactly the same as “only car” because if we had to take a long distance trip with all of us, we still have an ICE car for that. (Sorry, public charging just doesn’t compare to filling up at a gas station where I can go 350+ miles and stop literally anywhere and without any thought about it for 5 min and then continue).
We have 3 EVs for the family now, no more ICE. With my first long distance trip and the infrastructure we have here, there is no reason not to drive EVs.

Porsche Taycan Taycan as your only car? 1617672727971

Almost every highway service station has EV fast chargers. Taking half an hour break is not an issue for me. It's almost exactly like driving an ICE, you plan to start with a full battery and then you just pull out and recharge, when you need to.

No more ICE for me!

oalsaker

First Name
Øystein
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Crayon Taycan 4s
Country flag
Having had a wagon, do you miss the hatch?
I do miss the hatch whenever I go shopping but it's not a big issue. I love the look of the Panamera Sport Turismo but the plastic fenders and the raised ride height on the Taycan Cross Turismo is not what I'm into.

Mazithra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan & Taycan & Mini Cooper SE
Country flag
My initial plan was to own the Taycan as my only car, but it turns out to be trickier than I thought.

First of all this car is attracting so much attention! I'm actually feeling bad whenever I'm driving it around town haha

On top of that it is also a very wide and a low car, which makes it almost impossible for me to go downtown with this thing, so I decided to keep my other two cars to drive around town where I need to go to a place with shitty roads and shitty people.
Sponsored