Bailey.

First Name
Kev
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Amarok, Leon hybrid
Country flag
Does anyone plan to keep their car long term?

Im considering a Taycan as they seem great value atm.

Im not really into EV’s like most EV drivers seem to be, but I’ve always liked the look of the Taycan sport turismo. I was shocked when I seen how cheap they are used.

I’ve seen a lot about EV prices dropping on the news and on YouTube. But not really paid much attention due to my general lack of interest in EV’s.

My big concerns are battery health/longevity and extended warranty.

If I buy a 22 I will still have a year of warranty and 3 years extended is £3000.

The depreciation will still be heavy so I would be looking to keep the car long term.

My gut feeling is these cars work better as a company car or lease than a long term ownership proposition.

Would appreciate owner opinions rather than opinions on the EV threads on general car forums like pistonheads, which just descend into chaos.

Thanks
Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
I’ve got a 2021 Turbo S which I plan on keeping for the long term as I do with most of my cars. It’s a fantastic vehicle. By the time it’s time to replace the battery, I’m sure there will be cheaper alternatives on the market vs the current crazy dealer prices. Maybe even an upgrade battery pack by that time.

OP
OP

Bailey.

First Name
Kev
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Amarok, Leon hybrid
Country flag
I’ve got a 2021 Turbo S which I plan on keeping for the long term as I do with most of my cars. It’s a fantastic vehicle. By the time it’s time to replace the battery, I’m sure there will be cheaper alternatives on the market vs the current crazy dealer prices. Maybe even an upgrade battery pack by that time.
That would be great.

Everything I read about battery packs scares me tbh.

I thought battery costs were likely to increase with increased demand for their raw materials?

I was leaning towards a turbo but I’ve seen a really nice gts.

Rusty Griswald

First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mercedes E63
Country flag
If needing a 3rd party
The best is fidelity search the forums
They are now writing taycan warranties

Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag

Im not really into EV’s like most EV drivers seem to be, but I’ve always liked the look of the Taycan sport turismo. I was shocked when I seen how cheap they are used.

I’ve seen a lot about EV prices dropping on the news and on YouTube. But not really paid much attention due to my general lack of interest in EV’s.

If I buy a 22 I will still have a year of warranty and 3 years extended is £3000.

The depreciation will still be heavy so I would be looking to keep the car long term.

My gut feeling is these cars work better as a company car or lease than a long term ownership proposition.

Would appreciate owner opinions rather than opinions on the EV threads on general car forums like pistonheads, which just descend into chaos.

Thanks
A lot of members on this forum have a Taycan because it drives like a Porsche.
The fact it's an EV is often secondary or irrelevant.

In fact, many on here also own ICE vehicles (eg 911) - so it's a more balanced viewpoint than many other forums with EV lovers / haters.

I would be more than happy with a Taycan as a long termer so long as it had a Porsche warranty.

Its also a very strange used market in the UK......
The incentives are heavily stacked for business drivers - so Taycans are predominantly business leased and returned after 2-3 years (rinse and repeat)

With no incentives for private / used buyers the market becomes flooded with few takers. Hence the price drops.

Personally, I think there are some absolute bargains to be had at the moment.

The main concern is the battery, but that also has an 8 year warranty.

Last edited:

mystermykee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 IGM
Country flag
+100. I never wanted an EV. I was actually looking for a GT3, but then came a wife. I still wanted a Porsche, but would have to settle for one with usable back seats.

OP
OP

Bailey.

First Name
Kev
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Amarok, Leon hybrid
Country flag
If needing a 3rd party
The best is fidelity search the forums
They are now writing taycan warranties
Porsche warranty is cheap at £3000 for 3 years.

In fact, many on here also own ICE vehicles - so it's a more balanced viewpoint than many other forums with EV lovers / haters.

I would be more than happy with a Taycan as a long termer so long as it had a Porsche warranty.

Its also a very strange used market in the UK......
The incentives are heavily stacked for business drivers - so Taycans are predominantly business leased and returned after 2-3 years (rinse and repeat)

With no incentives for private / used buyers the market becomes flooded with few takers. Hence the price drops.

Personally, I think there are some absolute bargains to be had at the moment.

The main concern is the battery, but that also has an 8 year warranty.
It’s the lack of value in the ICE cars that interest me that is making me consider a Taycan.

Used 991/992 prices look crazy to me with new cars available and discounted.

M3 x drive ultimate pack prices haven moved since before x mas.

The GTS I like looks great value but was a staff car.

Not sure how I feel about that and no shortage of choice.

I would not consider any other EV.

Rusty Griswald

First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mercedes E63
Country flag
Porsche warranty is cheap at £3000 for 3 years.

It’s the lack of value in the ICE cars that interest me that is making me consider a Taycan.

Used 991/992 prices look crazy to me with new cars available and discounted.

M3 x drive ultimate pack prices haven moved since before x mas.

The GTS I like looks great value but was a staff car.

Not sure how I feel about that and no shortage of choice.

I would not consider any other EV.
2 best luxury ev’s on the market
Taycan & lucid Air
Both amazing choices and head shoulders above the others despite some of the quirkiness.

Murph7355

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST; TVR Griffith 500; Caterham 7; Volvo XC90
Country flag
I have a 2022 GTS ST, bought last Sept.

Love it. Traded my 911 in for it as knew it wouldn't get use. RS4 B7 Avant also went.

Right choice on both counts.

Do it. You'll love it.

I tend to keep my cars a while...will see how the battery goes, but it's simply not an issue for a while as it's under warranty. As you note, extended warranty for everything else is relatively sensible £-wise.

TXAG

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan RWD
Country flag

Thanks
I plan to keep my 2022 RWD, which I bought new, for a very long time - especially knowing that the battery has an 8-year warranty. I think the only self-inflicted thing stopping me from keeping it for so long is if my back gives out (push-ups, planks, and core exercises are my three best friends ha ha). I don't want to go back to driving something like an SUV which isn't so low to the ground.

@Bailey. , you're doing well buying a pre-owned Taycan now IMO as I suspect the biggest depreciation hit has already taken place.

I wish the extended warranties here in the USA will be as cheap as what you're seeing in the UK!

BTW welcome to the forum! There's very little chaos here ... I think it's the entry fee hmm ...

JIP1080

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS ST
Country flag
Have a '23 GTS Sport Turismo I bought certified pre-owned. The balance of the new 4-year warranty transferred, and the cpo program added 2 years on top, so I'm good (in theory) to early 2029. When I bought it I did so with an indefinite time horizon. Well, there has been a vague question in the back of my mind around if I'd ever actually part with it. I fully expect to run out the warranty and I'm not thinking twice about it. Still surprised I have an EV given the years growing up around grassroots motorsports. Zero regrets having made the swap though.

I'm in the camp of needing a family car, but dreaming and scheming relentlessly to get a Porsche. I'll keep my mouth shut on my beliefs on SUVs. I didn't love the Panamera (like the ST model, but not love), and my kids don't fit in the back of a 911 (or the 718 for that matter 🤣).
The Taycan, on the other hand, ticked all the right boxes. Astoundingly good looking, fantastic driving dynamics and performance, oh and it fits the kids and groceries with a little room to spare lol. It's an amazing place to be in. I actually put together a spreadsheet of 30 cars while looking around. The Taycan was the first added and the last one standing knowing full well it would be a long term car.

There is still plenty of potential for ifs and buts and all that feature or range envy or whatever, but I'll let you look up the Max Verstappen quote from Miami that best describes my feelings there.

Of course YMMV.

Redhot2474

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS
Country flag

Thanks
I’m keeping mine long term , there’s risk of repairs with any car but greatly mitigated with EVs, - no oil leaks , transmission problems unlikely , lot less moving party, there’s plenty of battery warranty …

BMonte13

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Porsche Taycan
Country flag
22 Taycan RWD owner with plan to keep for 7-10 years. It's my daily and by far the best car I've ever owned (first Porsche and I've had Audi, BMW, VW, and Acura before). I put about 10K miles a year on it. I expect to pay 1-3K a year on average for maintenance checks, tires, brakes at 60K, and incidentals like windshield (intact for now). I looked into buying an extended warranty but was very turned off by sleasy sales rep at dealer who wouldn't commit to what was exactly covered so I'll just self insure.

TDinDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan 4S Cross Turismo, '06 Club Coupe (#48)
Country flag
Mine will be gone the earlier of: (1) a substantial leap in technology; or (2) expiration of the available warranty. EVs are the new iPhones . . .

laua

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
XC90, V60, CT4S incoming
Country flag
Planning to keep mine long term. I’m not bothered by range deterioration as I don’t drive more than 100 mi a day (and usually less than 20). I also have an ICE if I need to go on a road trip but the Taycan is so good I just hate driving ICE again. Probably more of a second car given the infrastructure in North America but wouldn’t trade it for anything (except maybe the next gen Taycan!)
Sponsored