LewChappers

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan
Country flag
I will be getting a shiny new Taycan CT4 in the next couple of months, hopefully by the end of this year. I am interested to know what security measures I should take to protect it. I am thinking of a camera on the house, motion sensor lights. I may also pay the subscription for the tracker. What do you use? Your advice would be welcomed. Thanks
insurance wise you’l most likely be required to have a tracker - £269 per year Porsche vts
Sponsored

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
Minimum cost of a new Taycan in the UK = £79,200 inc VAT
Cost of a tracker subscription = £269 p/a

I mean, it's surely an easy decision?
Hmmm... what does the cost of the car have to do with the cost of the tracker? What exactly does the tracker service give you, should your car be stolen? Does it lower your insurance by at least
£269 p/a?

kempez

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo ST, Volvo XC90 T8
Country flag
Hmmm... what does the cost of the car have to do with the cost of the tracker? What exactly does the tracker service give you, should your car be stolen? Does it lower your insurance by at least
£269 p/a?
My point is that an additional layer of security for a tiny fraction of the cost of the car is an absolute no-brainer. It tracks your car and in the UK, gives you and your car direct access to a SOC who will work with the police and provide information to try to retrieve the car. It also notifies you if the car goes somewhere without the fob.

It lowered my insurance by about that amount, yes give or take

I just can’t see a world where I wouldn’t pay the tiny yearly fee to have it 🤷🏼

OP
OP
MarkR

MarkR

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4CT
Country flag
insurance.
My point is that an additional layer of security for a tiny fraction of the cost of the car is an absolute no-brainer. It tracks your car and in the UK, gives you and your car direct access to a SOC who will work with the police and provide information to try to retrieve the car. It also notifies you if the car goes somewhere without the fob.

I agree it is a small amount to pay for peace of mind and based on all the feedback I will pay for this aling with other security measures. My car will be through a Salary Sacrifice scheme through my company and comes with insurance, but I take my responsibility to protect the car seriously, and would be devastated if it is stolen. Also, with the recent cost increases and lower residual values, which have impacted the leasing costs significantly, I don't want to be in a position to have to order another one at a higher cost. Thanks to everyone who has contributed to the thread. It is appreciated.

Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
Minimum cost of a new Taycan in the UK = £79,200 inc VAT
Cost of a tracker subscription = £269 p/a

I mean, it's surely an easy decision?
I had 2 cars stolen in a night-time armed robbery, in which one was recovered (crashed) and the other not.

The nightmare was the Mini Cooper S Conv (2 months old) which was recovered after a Police chase crashed in somebody's front garden with 8k miles on it!

It was just below the level where it would have been written off.
Turned into an absolute feckin nightmare over many months.
It got mended but had an accident recovered marker on it and we lost a fortune - and my girlfriend didn't want to even see it again, let alone drive it.

My R32 was never seen again (apart from doing armed robberies on false plates).
Insurance paid out full market value, quite quickly and I moved on.

So personally I wouldn't have any tracker even if it was free, unless an insurer insisted.
They don't insist on them because it's better for customers.

Last edited:
OP
OP
MarkR

MarkR

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4CT
Country flag
I had 2 cars stolen in a night-time armed robbery, in which one was recovered (crashed) and the other not.

The nightmare was the Mini Cooper S Conv (2 months old) which was recovered after a Police chase crashed in somebody's front garden with 8k miles on it!

It got mended but had an accident recovered marker on it and we lost a fortune - and my girlfriend didn't want to even see it again, let alone drive it.

Insurance paid out qiickly and I moved.

So personally I wouldn't have any tracker even if it was free, unless an insurer insisted.
That's awful. I'm really sorry to hear that. I, too, was the victim of a theft, many years ago now, and it was only the following morning we found out. Never saw the car again. Thankfully we didn't hear them and the family were safe. I hope you and you family were not harmed.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag

If it lowered your insurance by the same amount or more then sure, it maybe it makes some sense (though read the post #51 above). It's not really an extra security though, as it doesn't prevent thieves from taking the car. Professional thieves know how to disable it (they steal all kinds of connected and tracked cars), so it helps the insurance recover the car from joyriders and amateur thieves. Do you really want your car back if it's been trashed by someone joyriding it, or stripping it for parts? From what I read here, you can insure cars in UK for the full new car value. Personally I would pick that over a tracker service if the concern was losing the car and not getting full replacement value.

Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
That's awful. I'm really sorry to hear that. I, too, was the victim of a theft, many years ago now, and it was only the following morning we found out. Never saw the car again. Thankfully we didn't hear them and the family were safe. I hope you and you family were not harmed.
Many years ago thanks Mark.
But I am still very wary of security.

Sold the house afterwards as I couldn't sleep there.

It was particularly aggressive (aggravated burglary) and they smashed the bedroom door off the hinges and tried to hit me over the head with a crowbar.
Thought we had the car keys in the bedroom, when they were actually downstairs. 😒

I think back when I think I'm having a 5hit day 😁

OP
OP
MarkR

MarkR

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4CT
Country flag
Many years ago thanks Mark.
But I am still very wary of security.

Sold the house afterwards as I couldn't sleep there.

It was particularly aggressive (aggravated burglary) and they smashed the bedroom door off the hinges and tried to hit me over the head with a crowbar.
Thought we had the car keys in the bedroom, when they were actually downstairs. 😒

I think back when I think I'm having a 5hit day 😁
I totally understand how you feel. These people have no concept for, or care for what they leave behind. And thanks for sharing advice.
On a positive note, I assume you enjoy the Taycan, and how it drives? I am particularly looking forward to picking mine up. The kids are very excited.

BJCanadaMax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cross Turismo, MINI SE, Toyota Prius
Country flag

Insurance paid out full market value, quite quickly and I moved on.

Yeah. If new car get stolen then rather get the money and order something new. You don't want to recover the car. Its most likely damaged and worth nothing after.

tylerdurden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
certainly from a UK perspective, security cameras are no deterrent to a car thief. Might give you evidence of what time of the day it was done and how many were involved. Faraday box at home. What I don't do is have a faraday pouch in briefcase. Should do that really if car parked near workplace. Ive started to use a steering lock.

gramorris

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None
Country flag
Spec truffle brown leather - should put the steal for parts lot off!

WuffvonTrips

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT
Country flag
IIRC from a thread back in Jan, there were 2 known (to the forum) Taycan thefts ever, globally (both by taking the keys). Has that count gone up now that there are more Taycans around?

Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
certainly from a UK perspective, security cameras are no deterrent to a car thief. Might give you evidence of what time of the day it was done and how many were involved.
The really useful security cam feature for me, is the fact that the cameras alert me at night (via mobile), as soon as a person is detected. Before they even get close to the car. You can then decide what to do.

IIRC from a thread back in Jan, there were 2 known (to the forum) Taycan thefts ever, globally (both by taking the keys). Has that count gone up now that there are more Taycans around?
I was aware of 3. I don't recall any others since.
Sponsored