bootsie

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Golf GTI 16v
Country flag
Personally, if I was in the position where I could both afford and live with a 911 I’d jump at the chance. It’s a 911! Grab it while you can with no kids. The Taycan is nice, but I still feel I’m slightly missing out by not having a 911. Of course, this is from someone who doesn’t own a 911 so make of that what you will compared to some of the other comments above from real 911 owners.
As it happens, I was window-shopping for a pre-996 911 this morning on the off chance I could afford an old one as a toy!
Sponsored

John89

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I have had a Taycan Turbo since last March and have driven it to/from San Diego to Bend Oregon and San Diego to Boulder, CO. Out west the EA Level 3 network is pretty good on I-5, I-15 and I-70, which is all the highways I used. I averaged 80 MPH and regularly got 250 miles per full charge. In and around town (San Diego), my combined city/highway driving, I am getting around 215 miles on an 85% charge. No unicorn.....just my experience.
I believe that may be possible in your climate. We are under 20 degrees here and it crushes range. I have seen close to 215 mile range in the summer at 85% charge. But once the weather changed, the range plummeted. I've seen 145 @ 85% charge. And we are seeing pretty consistent 150 range this winter.

4thPcar

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Previously: 914, 944 and 997 911S. Now Taycan
Country flag
These cars are worlds apart. I drove the 911S Cabriolet for 12 years, had my fun, and put a deposit on the Taycan last month.

The 911 is NOT a practical car, it will demonstrate limitations often (small back seat, little storage, not for steep driveways, etc) but I nevertheless loved that car and it was enough for me to sit in it in my garage to feel fulfilled. I got several speeding tickets in that car so the garage was the best place for it, actually.

I was attracted to the Taycan because it IS very much a practical car, the only limitation being charging stations. And its good for the environment.

I don't think anyone on this thread can tell you what is right for you. However there will be more and more EVs coming to the market, but there is only one 911. It will always be the benchmark against which all other sports cars are measured. If you can handle the limitations and covet the experience of this car, then I'd start there and you can always sell it for close to what you paid for it. I just did.

Erez123

First Name
Erez
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Panamera GTS
Country flag
I went from a Panamera GTS, which I drove for 8 years….to the Taycan Turbo S. And while it is a whole new level of amazing handling and speed…in terms of practicality, or comfort, it is nowhere near the level. Same goes for beta-testing the PCM or electronics, which just aren’t quite ready.
The reason I say that is not because I am trying to put you off the Taycan….it is awesome. But because having just had a baby at the same time as getting the new car, I am annoyingly often having to rely on my wife’s Macan. I wish that the Taycan was available back in the time of my life when I could have been more selfish, and gotten an electric Panamera now (I know I know).
For yourself, having no immediate kids on the horizon, I would say go for the Taycan. It’s not the most practical, but good enough for 90% of stuff with no kids. It’s crazy fast (especially that initial pedal to the floor feeling) that no ICE can match.
The 911 will always be there in the future l, awaiting your mid life crisis, when you really need it. (That’s my plan anyways). ?
I would caveat though, if you plan on buying outright, ignore my advice. 911’s will hold on to their value…whereas new EV tech is going to be evolving like crazy in the next 5-7 years.

BlueShoes

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I went from a Panamera GTS, which I drove for 8 years….to the Taycan Turbo S. And while it is a whole new level of amazing handling and speed…in terms of practicality, or comfort, it is nowhere near the level. Same goes for beta-testing the PCM or electronics, which just aren’t quite ready.
The reason I say that is not because I am trying to put you off the Taycan….it is awesome. But because having just had a baby at the same time as getting the new car, I am annoyingly often having to rely on my wife’s Macan. I wish that the Taycan was available back in the time of my life when I could have been more selfish, and gotten an electric Panamera now (I know I know).
For yourself, having no immediate kids on the horizon, I would say go for the Taycan. It’s not the most practical, but good enough for 90% of stuff with no kids. It’s crazy fast (especially that initial pedal to the floor feeling) that no ICE can match.
Funny thing about the internet… such opposite perspectives. I have two young kids and have never once had to rely on my wife’s car for anything. Quite the opposite… for the last year our Taycan was the family car because the other car was a Tesla model X snd it was just junk. The kids love the Taycan. We finally replaced the X with an Audi etron so that’s now the family car so my girl gets a break. And then to further the polar opposite, had a new panamera as a loaner this week when the Taycan had its software update and I hated it. It was a boat and the instrumentation was not at all intuitive. It was a long 6 hours in that car and was happy to toss the keys back. Granted it’s quite a bit less expensive but still just too big and boaty. Just my personal opinion.

Erez123

First Name
Erez
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Panamera GTS
Country flag
Funny thing about the internet… such opposite perspectives. I have two young kids and have never once had to rely on my wife’s car for anything. Quite the opposite… for the last year our Taycan was the family car because the other car was a Tesla model X snd it was just junk. The kids love the Taycan. We finally replaced the X with an Audi etron so that’s now the family car so my girl gets a break. And then to further the polar opposite, had a new panamera as a loaner this week when the Taycan had its software update and I hated it. It was a boat and the instrumentation was not at all intuitive. It was a long 6 hours in that car and was happy to toss the keys back. Granted it’s quite a bit less expensive but still just too big and boaty. Just my personal opinion.
i wonder if going back to a Panamera, now that I have gotten used to the Taycan would prove a similar experience to yours.
Either way, this is one hell of a car.