First Name
F
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
TaycanT'20
Country flag
Gents,

Any thoughts on if and when Porsche would release a convertible version of the Taycan?

Would there be a market for it?
Sponsored

felixtb

First Name
felix
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche: Taycan R; Tesla: orig Roadster, X, new roadster reserved
Country flag
Gents,

Any thoughts on if and when Porsche would release a convertible version of the Taycan?

Would there be a market for it?
I'm sure there would be a market for it but there is one problem. A convertible is a lot less aerodynamic so the range would take a serious hit..... If this is even a problem for a convertible is the other question to ask.... maybe not.....

I guess time will tell with what the bean counters at Porsche think of such a prospect.....

MissionC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Actually, are there any convertible EVs on the market? I can’t think of any.

jheard

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MXP100D. Taycan 4S
Country flag
Actually, are there any convertible EVs on the market? I can’t think of any.
Nope but put in a 200kwh battery and make it a convertible with reasonable boot space and I am all in

jheard

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MXP100D. Taycan 4S
Country flag
Why would you need such a big battery? :angel:
Longer range fewer charging stops not a must have but just nice especially if convertible had much lower range

OP
OP
Gubbjaevel

Gubbjaevel

First Name
F
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
TaycanT'20
Country flag
Let's keep this thread on topic, pls.

JamieG

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover Velar SE
Country flag
My dealer said that a lot of people have asked for a convertible version, but it's extremely impractical currently.

Having half a roof would ruin aerodynamics and kill the range on your EV. I mean Porsche went to the lengths of filling in some of the alloy gaps to make them more streamline and if you compare the size of those gaps to a retractable roof, it's massive.

Until batteries develop and they can get roughly the range we're getting now (circa 200Kw) with the roof down, then I don't see it being feasible.

HK111

First Name
Henrik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS, Corvette C7 Stingray, Mercedes V
Country flag
There is also the problem of structural integrity. A car body gets a lot of extra stiffness against bending along the longitudinal axis from the roof, especially if the roof and it's suspensions are as big / thick as in the Taycan. Without the roof, you need to strengthen the floor tremendously (you cannot transmit force via the doors). If it bends even only a bit, doors may not close properly or be too tight.

Now, skateboard EV designs have the big and fortified battery at the bottom, but I don't know how much of a structural benefit that is, given how heavy the battery is. So it could be either that due to the bottom battery, an EV convertible might already be stiff enough to be feasible, or it might be very far away from being stiff enough, requiring a lot of reinforcements. Maybe somebody of you has more precise data?

Cheers,
Henrik
Sponsored