Technology package

yoursuf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
TAYCAN
Country flag
I have about 1 week left to lock in specs for my order.. Need some help on Technology package decision making. The package comes with below 4 things and my take on them.
1. Heads Up display (This is a must for me, been using this on current Beamer from past 3 years and I find it useful... Is Porsche head up display good?)
2. Remote Park Assist (How does this work? What's the range it will work? is this similar to Tesla's Summon or just out/in from garage and parallel park assist? )
3. Passenger Display (Don't care about this)
4. ACC (I personally don't use this... but from reselling point I feel this is needed if I ever decide to sell down the road)

For now I have added only Head up display into my build and do have premium package, So LCA is already part of it.... does it make sense to add the technology package?

Thanks in advance
Sponsored

02bluesuperroo

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Porsche Taycan 4s
Country flag
Personally my goal is to keep the car for a long time so I don't worry about resale value. I found all the packages included too much stuff I didn't really care about. It was cheaper for me and I still got all the features I wanted by not selecting any packages and just selecting the options individually.

For example, it sounds like all you REALLY want is the HUD which is $1,850 but the technology package is $5,300. If you're working within a budget, that extra $3,450 can go a long ways towards opening up other options for you.

schad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, e-tron
Country flag
1. Heads Up display (This is a must for me, been using this on current Beamer from past 3 years and I find it useful... Is Porsche head up display good?)
My understanding is that it's not as good as your BMW's, in particular because it won't display CarPlay navigation hints. You only get hints from the built-in nav. So that's something to be aware of.

I really like the HUD, though. I set my instrument cluster to the extended map, put CarPlay audio on the center screen, and the HUD gives me info on my speed, cruise control, etc.

2. Remote Park Assist (How does this work? What's the range it will work? is this similar to Tesla's Summon or just out/in from garage and parallel park assist? )
I'm not sure if I have the remote version of this in my '21; certainly I've never used it.

The self-parking (and un-parking) features aren't useful to me. I never have to parallel park. On the few occasions that I've tried to use it to park normally, just to try out the feature, it hasn't been able to detect the lines. Maybe I'm doing something wrong, I don't know.

3. Passenger Display (Don't care about this)
It's more useful than you'd expect it to be, but it's still definitely not a must-have.

4. ACC (I personally don't use this... but from reselling point I feel this is needed if I ever decide to sell down the road)
ACC gets you the ability to add ALK and PID via FoD if you decide you want them.

It may (?) also be used for the "auto" recuperation mode. Auto recup lets the car coast with your foot off the accelerator until you start closing on the car in front of you, at which point it will gradually apply regen to match speeds.

I will say that on a daily driver, ACC is incredibly useful. I use it literally every single day and will never again own a car without it. The roads around here are twisty and hilly, so the car I'm stuck behind is constantly varying speed, often by +/- 5mph or more. It's maddening, or it would be without ACC.

For now I have added only Head up display into my build and do have premium package, So LCA is already part of it.... does it make sense to add the technology package?
I wanted ACC and HUD, which made the tech package a roughly $100 upgrade. The passenger screen is worth $100 to me, so I'm happy.

OP
OP
yoursuf

yoursuf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
TAYCAN
Country flag
My understanding is that it's not as good as your BMW's, in particular because it won't display CarPlay navigation hints. You only get hints from the built-in nav. So that's something to be aware of.

I really like the HUD, though. I set my instrument cluster to the extended map, put CarPlay audio on the center screen, and the HUD gives me info on my speed, cruise control, etc.

I'm not sure if I have the remote version of this in my '21; certainly I've never used it.

The self-parking (and un-parking) features aren't useful to me. I never have to parallel park. On the few occasions that I've tried to use it to park normally, just to try out the feature, it hasn't been able to detect the lines. Maybe I'm doing something wrong, I don't know.

It's more useful than you'd expect it to be, but it's still definitely not a must-have.

ACC gets you the ability to add ALK and PID via FoD if you decide you want them.

It may (?) also be used for the "auto" recuperation mode. Auto recup lets the car coast with your foot off the accelerator until you start closing on the car in front of you, at which point it will gradually apply regen to match speeds.

I will say that on a daily driver, ACC is incredibly useful. I use it literally every single day and will never again own a car without it. The roads around here are twisty and hilly, so the car I'm stuck behind is constantly varying speed, often by +/- 5mph or more. It's maddening, or it would be without ACC.

I wanted ACC and HUD, which made the tech package a roughly $100 upgrade. The passenger screen is worth $100 to me, so I'm happy.

Thank you for detailed response. It comes down to ACC or RPA.. if I want any one of those... its better to get the package itself.

Do I need ACC option for collision safety to work? In my current car I do have ACC which I never use... but what I like and infact has helped me few times is, the car alerted and slowed/stopped anytime I get close to cars ahead of me if speeding.. I need to check with Porsche if that part of any standard safety features... any idea on this?

Last edited:

02bluesuperroo

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Porsche Taycan 4s
Country flag
Thank you for detailed response. It comes down to ACC or RPA.. if I want any one of those... its better to get the package itself.

Do I need ACC option for collision safety to work? In my current car I do have ACC which I never use... but what I like and infact has helped me few times is, the car alerted and slowed/stopped anytime I get close to cars ahead of me if speeding.. I need to check with Porsche if that part of any standard safety features... any idea on this?
If you look at the standard equipment list, it says that Lane Keep Assist (LKA) including Traffic Sign Recognition is included on the 4s, as well as Warn and Brake Assist at least for 2022. Therefore, I don't think you need ACC for collision safety.

Please note that Lane Keep Assist and Active Lane Keep are two different things, although it's a little tough to find how their functionality differs.

menzz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
mino cooper S, waiting for taycan CT
Country flag
If you look at the standard equipment list, it says that Lane Keep Assist (LKA) including Traffic Sign Recognition is included on the 4s, as well as Warn and Brake Assist at least for 2022. Therefore, I don't think you need ACC for collision safety.

Please note that Lane Keep Assist and Active Lane Keep are two different things, although it's a little tough to find how their functionality differs.
for LKA vs ALK, based on prior cars not porsche, lane keep assist will alert you or try to keep you in the lane if you started crossing the lines. active lane keep should keep you centered in the lane. i could be wrong but that how it was in the volvo.

schad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, e-tron
Country flag
for LKA vs ALK, based on prior cars not porsche, lane keep assist will alert you or try to keep you in the lane if you started crossing the lines. active lane keep should keep you centered in the lane. i could be wrong but that how it was in the volvo.
It's mostly this, with the addition that LKA will "nudge" the steering wheel as well to keep you from exiting your lane. ALK will actively and continually adjust the steering to keep you centered in your lane.

I haven't managed to get ALK activated yet on my car, but LKA constantly hovers right on the brink of getting turned off. There are a few times that I've been messing with CarPlay or something and it's correctly identified that I'm drifting out of my lane, and stopped me from doing so. That's a really good thing. But it's more common that it interferes with me trying to avoid potholes, bicyclists, pedestrians, dead porcupines (those things are huge!), etc. And it occasionally, though not often and not consistently, misinterprets cracks or grooves in pavement as lane markers.

02bluesuperroo

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Porsche Taycan 4s
Country flag
In a car as wide as a Taycan, it hardly seems there would be a difference! :giggle:

OP
OP
yoursuf

yoursuf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
TAYCAN
Country flag
Thank you all.. I pushed the button with Tech package for HUD and ACC.

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
ACC is not required for auto recup.

abhasin1

First Name
Arjun
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911
Country flag
With the tech package, do we still get to keep the LCA? The configurator takes it off when picking the tech package :( A bit confused

TycanNewHampshire

First Name
TG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tycan 4S
Country flag
-for HUD, search this forum as many of them have failed.
-for Parking Assist, again search as consensus seems to be that it is not that helpful and many don't regularly use it.
-Passenger Display....can't use it to watch movies, so what is the point? Speaking of, why does the Taycan not have the entertainment package to configure rear tablet/screens for the kids to play/watch games? Both of these are a miss on Porsche's part IMHO.
-ACC, many love it, many don't like it. Personally, I love it! Anytime there is traffic, I turn it on and takes all the stress out of driving, as it keeps the distance, comes to a complete stop, starts up again and allows you to change lanes. The only negative I complaint I have with this is that even with the 'closest' security distance buffer selected; I find that it still gives too much room between your vehicle and the car in front of you. Often this invites other cars to squeeze into your lane and then it slows down to increase the gap again.....which leads to more coming in your lane. I know it is somewhat speed dependent, but it still has too much room when trying to completely relax in traffic.

jvincent

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ice Grey CT4
Country flag
With the tech package, do we still get to keep the LCA? The configurator takes it off when picking the tech package :( A bit confused
I have this question as well. Does the Remote ParkAssist in the Tech Package also include LCA like the standalone option? Anyone?

abhasin1

First Name
Arjun
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911
Country flag
I have this question as well. Does the Remote ParkAssist in the Tech Package also include LCA like the standalone option? Anyone?
Update: (forgot to do this earlier) I checked with my dealer and also checked (physically) another car a local dealership had with same specs. With tech package, you DO GET the basic LCA since Remote ParkAssist needs it.

jvincent

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ice Grey CT4
Country flag
Thanks for posting. Unfortunately, my spec locked early, so no Tech Package for me! Dealer says it’s been happening due the supply issues. I had a good spec in already, so not a problem, but something to look out for.
Sponsored