Murph7355

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST; TVR Griffith 500; Caterham 7; Volvo XC90
Country flag
Everyone on here getting upset just adds to what Elon wants :)

All the whooping from fanbois at the end of the video was amusing, just like the upset in here.

So what if Tesla owners will always crow about acceleration and price etc. Teslas have a place in the market, and have done much for EV take up. But I still don't want one, for all the more subjective reasons they simply miss the mark on by a mile for me.

As for the truck, it would have to travel at the speed of light for me, so nobody could see me in it!
Sponsored

Reactions: 007

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
Regardless if he’s right or wrong, and that I don’t like some of the things he says, I appreciate Elon for thinking outside the box. And we probably wouldn’t be driving a Taycan today if not for him making electric cars popular.

Fantasmos

First Name
Hristo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S Cross Turismo
Country flag
I don’t think people are getting upset at this point. Most are laughing at the 5yo level of marketing and cringe they produce.

I would be upset if an Elon fanboy hits me with that ugly thing though…

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
Apparenty deposits were stopped in UK / EU in 2022, as it won't meet safety standards....
The front end design will maim a lot of pedestrians, it is nowhere near European pedestrian safety standards and is a bit of styling rather than engineering design.

I rather like it.

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
As far as the video is concerned we from outside the US should remember a lot of roads in the US are straight multi-lane roads with traffic lights every block.
Drag racing grew from this and whilst the internet has spread this sort of publicity elsewhere in the world, and some have embraced it enthusiastically, I and many other (most???) Europeans have no road anywhere near where I live where a drag race could ever happen and being nimble and going around corners is massively more important.

You would get a very different but more relevant comparison for here by doing a lap of the Anglesey circuit.

My money wouldn’t be on a truck as any sort of car substitute here like it is in the US market and road system.

Donlam

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi e-Tron, Porsche Taycan rwd 23
Country flag
Cyber Truck weight 3100kg without extended battery. Imagine I am driving a tank on the street. Definitely not for me. It might never got deliver to the european countries.

Last edited:

jld1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S23
Country flag
This video reminds me of when I was at a red light and a Rivian pulled up next to me. I didn't look at the driver, as I generally don't try to make eye contact with anyone since it either means I want to talk about my car or race (sadly just those two options).

Anyway when the light hit green the guy slammed the throttle and flew off. I just accelerated normally. It was impressive, sure. But I thought "now let's take our cars to a track and see how you do."

WasserGKuehlt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4CT, 996C2, MacanS
Country flag

I think it’s worth watching; I usually like Cammisa’s Clarksonesque takes on cars, and although this one seemed overly fawning, it is still informative.

I don’t think it needed to look like _that_ to produce/carry all the other innovations, but this is a reminder that Tesla are damn good at engineering.

bluesky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW F10 M5 Comp, BMW F10 550i
Country flag
The cybertruck design to me is clearly styled after a low-polygon count video game render from just pre Millenium (Half Life, Unreal, Unreal Tournament, Soldier of Fortune). It looked very much like that in the press pictures. The only thing missing is the not-very-round low polygon count tires of those games.

I saw one arriving at its owner’s home right after release while I was walking the neighborhood and it looks silly and out of place in the real world (or the video game world of today). Somehow it looked better in pictures than in person.

fullmetalbaal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Another Tesla that will score worse in safety than Dacia.
I must have missed that one. Everytime I read about safety & Tesla, they seem to do quite well.

https://www.euroncap.com/en/results/tesla/model+y/46618
https://www.euroncap.com/en/results/tesla/model+s/47760
https://www.euroncap.com/en/results/tesla/model+3/37573
https://www.euroncap.com/en/results/tesla/model+x/39141

Depending which score you value most highly, you can even argue they have among the best cars out there.

I don't drive one. And there's lots I don't like about them.
But I don't see a point in talking down strengths.

dstepin92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23' Taycan RWD
Country flag
I'm prepared to concede that the truck's acceleration is remarkable in exactly the same way acceleration for ANY electric car is remarkable. Remarkable, but entirely unsurprising.

As for the truck in general, it's kind of like the PT Cruiser was. It's a terrible car, but at least it tries to do something interesting. More car companies should take risks instead of making the same thing over and over.

The "drag race" a silly stunt for a number of reasons though, chief among them is that the number of people who will be swayed to purchase this atrocity after watching this video is exactly zero. Who is out there saying, "Oh man, I was going to buy a 911, but now I want a ...whatever this is."
I think we both know that this stunt is not sway buyers, but rather just to reinforce the opinions of people who own a Tesla and are deep in the weeds of "BELIEVING" in it that they have chosen the right product to believe in. It's nothing more or less. To me this "cool, i guess?"
Sponsored