4thPcar

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Previously: 914, 944 and 997 911S. Now Taycan
Country flag
I miss my 911 but unless you track the car for competition or fun, you never experience what its capable of, and then there's this:

Sponsored

DougFrisk

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
No longer awaiting a 4CT
Country flag
Meh, Porsche could just as easily make a very edited video of a 356 towing a Cybertruck beating the Model S Plaid around the Nürburgring. A deceptive marketing stunt is just a deceptive marketing stunt.

It is interesting that Tesla seems to want to compare itself with Porsche. There doesn't seem to be another EV manufacturer they chase after the way they do Porsche.

Donlam

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi e-Tron, Porsche Taycan rwd 23
Country flag
It is a tesla usual straight line race. Would like to see how it perform in a complex bend race track agianst 911.

summerlion

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 CT4S
Country flag
I'm prepared to concede that the truck's acceleration is remarkable in exactly the same way acceleration for ANY electric car is remarkable. Remarkable, but entirely unsurprising.

As for the truck in general, it's kind of like the PT Cruiser was. It's a terrible car, but at least it tries to do something interesting. More car companies should take risks instead of making the same thing over and over.

The "drag race" a silly stunt for a number of reasons though, chief among them is that the number of people who will be swayed to purchase this atrocity after watching this video is exactly zero. Who is out there saying, "Oh man, I was going to buy a 911, but now I want a ...whatever this is."

Perry

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla SP85D, Model P3D, Taycan Turbo S CT
Country flag
It's just a dumb marketing stunt. If they hadn't already done the exact same thing with the Model X, I would even say it's pretty funny. The truck is in fact extremely quick, but any reasonable person would understand that this is of course a silly comparison for numerous reasons.

The only annoying part is the inevitable swarm of Tesla-stans that are going to swallow this as gospel and mindlessly swoon over how a Cybertruck is a better sports car than a 911.

Redhot2474

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS
Country flag
It's just a dumb marketing stunt. If they hadn't already done the exact same thing with the Model X, I would even say it's pretty funny. The truck is in fact extremely quick, but any reasonable person would understand that this is of course a silly comparison for numerous reasons.

The only annoying part is the inevitable swarm of Tesla-stans that are going to swallow this as gospel and mindlessly swoon over how a Cybertruck is a better sports car than a 911.
Agreed, but I thought It was witty as hell though…

mutanthands

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS, Suzuki Cara
Country flag
I thought the stunt was pretty cringe, but did its job from a marketing POV.

A lot of controversy using a base 911, but you have to remember it’s probably closest in price to the top end Cybertruck that it was racing.
Goddamn it’s fugly, probably takes the crown from the BMW XM!

Marmolata

First Name
RJS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
If Porsche makes a slow 911...it is fair game. I never understood why Porsche makes a nerfed 911.

Gwaihir

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS ST
Country flag
Don’t bet against Elon. VW did and look what’s happening to them?

Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
Another Tesla that will score worse in safety than Dacia.
Apparenty deposits were stopped in UK / EU in 2022, as it won't meet safety standards....

However, there's another big stumbling block for the vehicle being made available in Europe - and that's the EV pick-up meeting strict safety regulations.

Because Cybertruck is classed as a light duty truck in the USA, it is exempt from many safety standards that are required of passenger cars. This includes providing a minimum level of pedestrian protection.

That's not the case in Europe, however.

According to a Stefan Teller, an automotive safety certification expert at SGS-TUV Saar GmbH, the vehicle will need 'strong modifications to the basic structure' before it can enter the European market.

'The front of the vehicle must not be stiff,' Teller explained to German car magazine Automobilwoche in 2019.

'The bumper and bonnet must be able to absorb energy to protect pedestrians.'

EU standards also require new vehicles to include automatic detection of pedestrians and cyclists, and a new direct vision standard for lorries and buses to enable drivers to have a better view of other road users around their vehicles.

I can see potential as a genuine utility vehicle in certain circumstances (off road).

But as a road car?

That design with so much size, weight and speed. I wouldn't like to be involved in a collision with one.

Last edited:

WuffvonTrips

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT
Country flag
It looks like a small child's first attempt at using a 3D design app, brought to life by the school metalwork class.
Sponsored