That moment when you see the new facia from the right angle and realize that it is…in fact, far sexier than the original.

Avantgarde

First Name
Eugene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22' Taycan RWD PB+, 21' X5 Xdrive45e, 09' Cayman
Country flag
This just dawned on me! The Turbo front bumper intake vents must have a mechanical actuator behind them, to go forward, and down, to become a mini snow plow when needed - clearing the snow from the road directly in front of the tires. Genius! Either that or there are some 007 weapons hiding under there.
I have another theory, maybe they are giant headlight washers, they open forward and wash the s* out of the headlights automatically. Porsche maybe worried prior owners of first gen would be inclined to leave their gen 2 headlights dirty and mud covered just not to remember how gorgeous their previous car looked, and that would be a major safety risk.
Sponsored

OP
OP
MissionE

MissionE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Turbo
Country flag
In​
I feel for that designer guy as we all know its not his fault. Narrow minded Marketing, business and aero people probably ganged up on him “you gotta do this man” “we need that additional 12 miles of range” and pissed him off similar pissing off an executive chef pressured to cook his perfectly temperatured signature steak more because of some dull food safety reason. And he finally threw his hands up - ok “this is how this front end is supposed to look, but you want me to burn your steak? I will burn it for you”, went back to his kitchen and quickly sketched a toyota camry bumper in 5 minutes and handed it over to them and said “here you go, now leave me alone”.
I don’t think that’s quite how the design team under the direction of 20 year Porsche designer Michael Mauer, works.

WasserGKuehlt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4CT, 996C2, MacanS
Country flag
I don’t think that’s quite how the design team under the direction of 20 year Porsche designer Michael Mauer, works.
Normally I'd agree, but the Taycan refresh shows alarming signs of BMWification. It always starts with a fake vent or an unnecessary crease. Hopefully it stops there.

OP
OP
MissionE

MissionE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Turbo
Country flag
Normally I'd agree, but the Taycan refresh shows alarming signs of BMWification. It always starts with a fake vent or an unnecessary crease. Hopefully it stops there.
Granted, this is only a temporary refresh until the next gen model arrives in a couple of years.

The design is growing on me, though. I much prefer the horizontal design to the running mascara look of the outgoing model, but to each their own.

Avantgarde

First Name
Eugene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22' Taycan RWD PB+, 21' X5 Xdrive45e, 09' Cayman
Country flag
This is a quick temporary fix to address headline range initiative with overfocus on aero. All in all even though it is a step backwards i could live with the refresh. What worries me is the future. I was always amazed by how Porsche managed to pull that staggering design with Taycan when there is so much “Cw” pressure. Every other recent example of aero-prioritizated design ended up being a disaster. Look at MB line-up, EQS EQE looking like dead whales with excessive gas in them looking ready to explode with a single poke. Instead of taking a note of the disaster, BMW just took a step in that same ugly “inflamed & sick animal” direction with the 5 series, loosing the “wide long bonnet, squarely planted” concept of the legendary car. (Even though the result is not as disastrous as MB i am surprised not to see more outrage about i5)

Cutting that right balance between aero and design is extremely difficult and usually requires a very strong “executive judgement call”. Taycan was an exemplary balance, and it showed design team’s authority to say NO to extreme asks from engineering crew. This last move shows a sign of comprimise and hoping does not indicate a trend.

OP
OP
MissionE

MissionE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Turbo
Country flag
This is a quick temporary fix to address headline range initiative with overfocus on aero. All in all even though it is a step backwards i could live with the refresh. What worries me is the future. I was always amazed by how Porsche managed to pull that staggering design with Taycan when there is so much “Cw” pressure. Every other recent example of aero-prioritizated design ended up being a disaster. Look at MB line-up, EQS EQE looking like dead whales with excessive gas in them looking ready to explode with a single poke. Instead of taking a note of the disaster, BMW just took a step in that same ugly “inflamed & sick animal” direction with the 5 series, loosing the “wide long bonnet, squarely planted” concept of the legendary car. (Even though the result is not as disastrous as MB i am surprised not to see more outrage about i5)

Cutting that right balance between aero and design is extremely difficult and usually requires a very strong “executive judgement call”. Taycan was an exemplary balance, and it showed design team’s authority to say NO to extreme asks from engineering crew. This last move shows a sign of comprimise and hoping does not indicate a trend.
European marks in particular; all but forced by regulators to push out Evs, their design hands with them.

Porsche, to their credit, had always been a conservative company, as regards design especially. A series of slow evolutions.

BMW, I can’t fathom what kind of mushroom/play doh concoction they're smoking over there. They’re called by the future, these designers, the boards dictating change even when change isn’t really necessary. It’s interesting times.

SteveDC

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, 308QV
Country flag
New here. Didn’t consider the old Taycan, with those droopy eyes. Highly prefer the updated design. Meeting my man at the Porsche Center for an order on Tuesday.
It’s Valentine’s Day. Give your money a hug before you let it go. 😊
Sponsored