Status
Not open for further replies.

stonecold926

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
It's natural to expect that on this forum, where members can afford a Taycan, we would find a community of educated and intelligent individuals.

However, unfortunately, there are instances where some American's exhibit ignorance and arrogance, which is what the world hate us for.

I want to apologize for any offensive behavior or remarks made by our fellow American.

Again, I kindly request that we avoid using sensitive keywords like 'China' 'Chinese' or 'Russia' that would trigger emotional reactions tied to the fragile insecure patriotism and geopolitics. Let's focus on constructive conversations that benefit our community.
Sponsored

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
I saw an article about Chinese car manufacturing and how they are completely dominating their home market. And EVs are the mainstream choice.
The only importer of any significance is Tesla.
Their imports are irrelevant, way too expensive for what you get. They only sell 3 and Y in volume our of Shanghai factory.

But they are now turning their sights on exports (I'm not going to comment on the political/economic/subsidy side of things here)

Its quite staggering how fast they can roll out new cars.

Also the diversity of those cars.

Here are 3 noteworthy ones that have landed in my news feed just this week!

New MG looks very good.
https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/mg/cyberster/361079/new-mg-cyberster-2023-review

This Range Rover wannabe can float on water (obviously)
https://www.topgear.com/car-news/electric/yangwang-u8-1184bhp-plug-hybrid-suv-can-float-water

1265hp quad motor estate. 0-60 in 2.07s
https://www.topgear.com/car-news/el...-1265bhp-estate-thatll-do-0-62mph-207-seconds
The volume brands on the roads in south China are BYD and AION (GAC (Joint venture of Toyota and Honda)) and Geely. Then there are other joint venture partners of German and US brands which also have their own local brands producing EVs for the mass market. They really know how to build a quality cars for little money.

T junk and other brands like NIO, Zeekr (very new), as well as the above mentioned don't really play in the volume market or are not very popular...

This explains quite well, why the EV market in China is so big and so competitive. They have so much more and better supply and prodcessing facilities for the new needed raw materials.

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
They are indeed. SAIC under the auspices of MG and Geely variously under the badges of Volvo, Polestar and now Lotus. Some tasty BEVs coming out from the latter.

Then we get into the other pure play Chinese marques like BYD, Nio, Zeekr and Xpeng
The problem with Chinese cars are the warning sounds of all kind of systems in the cars. Some of the sounds are simply ugly (indicator sound of the Zeekr 001) many other warning sounds are frequent, over the top, unnessary, not possible to switch off permanently. For example:

The self driving feature in the Mercedes EQA works like a charm in the background without making any noise if used properly. Really hugh help on longer drives, even on short drives. I use it all the time in almost all traffic situations.

The self driving feature in the Zeekr is a nightmare in terms of warning noise. Everytime you switch it off, because it's in the way of driving efficiently in slightly denser traffic it makes a lot of noise and even talks - like as if I am too stupid to see if a symbol is on or off on the dash. This renders this system impossible to use on longer drives with family sleeping in the car. Hate it with a firy passion and basically makes the car even with it's mindblowing 140kWh a 100% no buy.

By the way, the Xpeng, borrowed from a friend, I drove over 2 weeks, has the same problem. Our T junk MS90D as well with the additional idiotic feature, that once you did not react on time pulling on the steering wheel, you could not even reactivate the AP for the rest of the drive. As if I need to be educated and penalised by T junk idiotic engineers and software coder! The worst car I ever had by a very very long shot!

My advice: Test drive any Chinese car for a solid period and make a list of all the features it has and really test them. They do have a nasty habbit of killing your ears while driving...

• Haha
Reactions: DGW

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
Yeah, in 1985. :CWL:

The interior of my 2007 Avalanche was a Rolls Royce compared to that hideous Chinese garbage. If the Chinese are stupid enough to export that mess to the US, I’m sure they’ll sell like coldcakes.

Btw, it’s funny that you pick the US made car with the absolute worst interior (Jeep) as your benchmark for that Chinese junk.
Every market has a solid amount of customers which are very price sensitive and EVs in Europe (I guess in the US, too) are insanly overpriced compared to their ICE equivialent. So if you don't have much money, but really want an EV with a new battery, the Chinese option is attractive...

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
Criticism is free. You are free to criticize a product. Any consumer has the right to review and criticize a product.
Case in point, you mentioned the Pontiac Aztec as hot garbage, but is it “American Garbage “ ?
You may think BYD cars are garbage which is fine, but is it “Chinese Junk” or “Chinese Garbage” ? I beg to differ.
I remember the BYD ICE cars 10/15 years ago. They indeed looked like junk. But the new EVs are not anymore. Their design is Chinese, but the quality is not far off from VW or Toyota.

andb

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Every market has a solid amount of customers which are very price sensitive and EVs in Europe (I guess in the US, too) are insanly overpriced compared to their ICE equivialent. So if you don't have much money, but really want an EV with a new battery, the Chinese option is attractive...
I would buy a cheap EV for around 20k just for city driving but everything local is too expensive or bad quality. I think the chinese brands will be an wake up call for european or american brands and deliver something worth buying.

Archimedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
It's natural to expect that on this forum, where members can afford a Taycan, we would find a community of educated and intelligent individuals.

However, unfortunately, there are instances where some American's exhibit ignorance and arrogance, which is what the world hate us for.

I want to apologize for any offensive behavior or remarks made by our fellow American.

Again, I kindly request that we avoid using sensitive keywords like 'China' 'Chinese' or 'Russia' that would trigger emotional reactions tied to the fragile insecure patriotism and geopolitics. Let's focus on constructive conversations that benefit our community.
:CWL:

Archimedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I don't see so much difference between the interior design of BYD or a Honda etc... Will it hit the taste of US consumers? Don't know, but I think the price might.
I’m sorry, can you please show me a current Honda interior that looks like this? :CWL:

Porsche Taycan The Chinese (cars) are coming [LOCKED DUE TO POLITICS AND INSULTS] IMG_6468

Porsche Taycan The Chinese (cars) are coming [LOCKED DUE TO POLITICS AND INSULTS] IMG_6469

Wait, here’s the Honda…

Porsche Taycan The Chinese (cars) are coming [LOCKED DUE TO POLITICS AND INSULTS] IMG_6473

Last edited:

OP
OP
Fish Fingers

Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
I am starting to see quite a few MG4 cars on the road.

Didn't think much of it, apart from they were cheap.
But they started picking up quite a few awards (electric car of the year etc) and many of the reviews were quite positive.

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/...rds-2023-mg-4-shocks-rivals-best-electric-car

I see this as an example of what's to come.

Incidentally, the sort of people I see driving MG4's have been older, maybe more financially conscious buyers (think Victor Meldrew driving a Skoda estate) who would normally lead the anti EV brigade.

simcity

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Incidentally, the sort of people I see driving MG4's have been older, maybe more financially conscious buyers (think Victor Meldrew driving a Skoda estate) who would normally lead the anti EV brigade.
I dare you to go on SpeakEV and voice that opinion. 😅

WuffvonTrips

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT
Country flag
I'd assumed that the majority in their SAGA years (I've been long in denial of that personally) would be at worst indifferent to EVs, not caring what powers their cars (and maybe even attracted to MG out of nostalgia or patriotism), and at best being early adopters- retired, no mortgage, no commuting, wanting to do their bit for the planet...
(Soberingly, Richard Wilson was a youthful 55ish y.o. when he was deemed to have one foot in the grave)

Status
Not open for further replies.