Things -- namely, EA things -- are Looking Up!

dnanian

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan, Tesla Model S, BMW i3
Country flag
It's clear that EA is starting to get a handle on their network.

Over the past three weeks, I've endeavored to charge at an EA charger every time I need a charge, just to try to see how things are coming along.

Chargers that I was having trouble with before (Burlington, Auburn, Seabrook, Scarborough, Northborough) have worked every time I've charged. I haven't had a single failure.

On top of that, Porsche recently pushed a Connect update that fixed the issue activating chargers via the Connect app...and it works. (There are still weird issues where it kind of loses the fact that it has started a session, and then remembers again, just to forget. Baby steps.)

So, while there are obviously still problems on the network, it's good to see improvements being rolled out. Better still, effective improvements.
Sponsored

porsche_coyote

First Name
Wiley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW ID.4 AWD Pro S, BMW i3
Country flag

Over the past three weeks, I've endeavored to charge at an EA charger every time I need a charge, just to try to see how things are coming along.

Chargers that I was having trouble with before (Burlington, Auburn, Seabrook, Scarborough, Northborough) have worked every time I've charged. I haven't had a single failure.

On top of that, Porsche recently pushed a Connect update that fixed the issue activating chargers via the Connect app...and it works. (There are still weird issues where it kind of loses the fact that it has started a session, and then remembers again, just to forget. Baby steps.)

So, while there are obviously still problems on the network, it's good to see improvements being rolled out. Better still, effective improvements.
-sigh- I wish I felt the same way here in the Bay Area. My last two trips to EA chargers were both awful. One ended successfully after more than 20 minutes of trying to initiate charging, the other never worked at all.

OP
OP

dnanian

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I was in the same situation, @porsche_coyote , but things started getting better recently. EA uses contractors to service the chargers, and they may not have reached those yet.

Given most of my posts about charging had been negative before, it was nice to see a change for the better.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
qqothe problem with EA remains - and will for a while - that you can not go into a trip with the default assumption that EA chargers are functional where you need them to be functional - this is the opposite of my experience with the Tesla Supercharger networks - it's a pretty safe bet (but not perfect) bet that the Supercharger network is functional where you need it to be functional.

I'm gratified to hear your localize issues are better - but it's not a good representation of where EA stands network wide.

OP
OP

dnanian

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Indeed, @daveo4EV , my intention was not to represent the entire network, but rather my experiences at the chargers I mentioned (I didn't mention the ones in CT I'd also had success at), which had changed from bad to good.

"Looking up" does not mean good...just improving. That's at least in the right direction, you know?

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
@dnanian despite my opinion of EA - progress is progress and it's great to hear about it!! I too recently had an excellent EA experience in Paso Robles - only to have it undone at one less than a week later in San Jose - so we will still wait for EA to get their "stuff" together

I hope it gets better - more and more vendors are piling on and I'm sure relying on EA for their future: Lucid Air - announced 800V fast charging, Rivian, and the most recent GMC Hummer announcement touts 350 kW charging - I'm seriously hoping someone is paying attention and this additional network demand will cause EA to rise to the occasion rather than crumble and sink into despair.

thank you for your update - it's great news!!

Christian J

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4s, 1997 C2S, 1979 Turbo, 1976 3.0
Country flag

Somerville (Assembly row) worked well. Connect finally worked for me yesterday!

OP
OP

dnanian

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Somerville (Assembly row) worked well. Connect finally worked for me yesterday!
In fact, I've used that charger too, successfully (and it's in the garage, which is nice), as well as the ones at South Shore Plaza.

I really think they've been updating a bunch of stuff (which is why so many were out of service for a while there)...

OP
OP

dnanian

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

MissionC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Seriously, that is one weird partnership.
It sure is, but it feels like a partnership they built last year, pre-pandemic, and it made sense due to BofA’s physical footprint. Regardless, one more place to charge up when needed.

OP
OP

dnanian

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
It sure is, but it feels like a partnership they built last year, pre-pandemic, and it made sense due to BofA’s physical footprint. Regardless, one more place to charge up when needed.
In the end, it's kind of a real estate issue, I guess, and if there are enough BoA locations in places where people are spending time, with spare parking lot space (and sufficient area for the transformers, not to mention access to power), sure. Just slapping these at Wal-Mart locations and mall parking lots isn't sufficient. (Kind of surprised they're not leasing space at highway plazas/rest areas.)

Still weird, but you have to assume their team is looking carefully at the coverage provided. :)

Lowpue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1967 912, 1995 911, 2000 911, 2001 Boxster, 2002 911 4S, 2014 TurboS, 2015 Huracan, TTS ordered
Country flag
In the two weeks I have had my Turbo S I have done all local driving....one charge at home and one at EA in Issaquah WA. I had to call EA to turn on. Tomorrow I am going from Seattle to Bellingham and planning on getting a charge on the return in Burlington which OP indicates is working. So the Question is, should I charge the car to 100% (this gives me round trip without charge) or should I risk it and just count on charging since I can't make it at 80%. I am thinking of the latter since I want to avoid 100% charge but my wife says I should do both. (I am still worried about premature battery wear).

OP
OP

dnanian

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Occasional 100% charges are expectes...

manitou202

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Turbo S, Audi E-tron
Country flag
I have had great results with EA over the past two months with my Taycan.

I also have been monitoring the PlugShare scores for the EA chargers along the route from Colorado Springs to Phoenix. I'm driving our E-tron (and maybe our Taycan as well) to Phoenix for Thanksgiving. The scores along the route were originally mixed but over the past month they have all become 10's except for one charger with a Chademo issue. This leads be to believe their recent firmware upgrades have had a big improvement on reliability.
Sponsored