Tinting Windows

wemct

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Cayenne S Coupe; '22 AMG SL55; Taycan 4S(sold)
Country flag
I had the windows tinted today. I did the four side windows and the rear window done in nano ceramic 35% (within legal limit not too dark). I had the front windshield done in nano ceramic 75% (almost clear). It is amazing how much heat the nano ceramic tint keeps out of the car, especially the windshield when the sun shines through. There is no comparison to regular tint in the amount of heat rejection.
Porsche Taycan Tinting Windows 20200713_183101_resized
Porsche Taycan Tinting Windows 20200713_194833_resized

wemct

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Did you do the panoramic roof too? how is the heat from there?
I did not do the roof. For me, it feels like the heat level coming through the roof is minimal even in the 90 degree Atlanta sunshine. I am someone who typically keeps the sunshade closed on my other cars with sunroofs because I don't like the heat or the amount of light. The panoramic roof on the Taycan doesn't bother me with regard to heat or the amount of light.

Reg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I did not do the roof. For me, it feels like the heat level coming through the roof is minimal even in the 90 degree Atlanta sunshine. I am someone who typically keeps the sunshade closed on my other cars with sunroofs because I don't like the heat or the amount of light. The panoramic roof on the Taycan doesn't bother me with regard to heat or the amount of light.
Thanks. That is very useful.

OP
OP

chizwheel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A7, Porsche Taycan 4S
Country flag
Thanks for the pictures. That is very helpful. I think I am going to do the same as you and get ceramic tinting with UV and infrared protection. I'll probably skip tinting the pano roof as well. Hopefully the leather inside will last longer with protection. I'm in Texas so the heat here is horrendous.

wemct

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thanks for the pictures. That is very helpful. I think I am going to do the same as you and get ceramic tinting with UV and infrared protection. I'll probably skip tinting the pano roof as well. Hopefully the leather inside will last longer with protection. I'm in Texas so the heat here is horrendous.
Remember that the tints go from regular to carbon to carbon ceramic to nano ceramic. Each has higher IR protection and a higher price. Nano ceramic at the high end.

PerPower

First Name
Per
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Y Performance, Taycan 4S+
Country flag
I had the windows tinted today. I did the four side windows and the rear window done in nano ceramic 35% (within legal limit not too dark). I had the front windshield done in nano ceramic 75% (almost clear). It is amazing how much heat the nano ceramic tint keeps out of the car, especially the windshield when the sun shines through. There is no comparison to regular tint in the amount of heat rejection.
20200713_183101_resized.jpg
20200713_194833_resized.jpg
A quick off topic question: I can see that you have opted for the Porsche Surface Coated Brakes (PSCB) - How much better are they compared to the standard brakes? I read somewhere that the engine regen alone does a lot of the braking (265 kW).

wemct

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
A quick off topic question: I can see that you have opted for the Porsche Surface Coated Brakes (PSCB) - How much better are they compared to the standard brakes? I read somewhere that the engine regen alone does a lot of the braking (265 kW).
In addition to the look of the calipers (everyone comments how huge they are), the rotors do not get corrosion (the car sat parked in humid Atlanta for the last 4 weeks and the rotors look great). Also the rims are brake dust free. As you mentioned much of the actual braking is done by the regen. However at the speeds that you will easily reach on the Taycan, there are times when the large brakes come in handy. I think the PSCB are a nice compromise between the standard and the ceramic. I would order them again.

PerPower

First Name
Per
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Y Performance, Taycan 4S+
Country flag
In addition to the look of the calipers (everyone comments how huge they are), the rotors do not get corrosion (the car sat parked in humid Atlanta for the last 4 weeks and the rotors look great). Also the rims are brake dust free. As you mentioned much of the actual braking is done by the regen. However at the speeds that you will easily reach on the Taycan, there are times when the large brakes come in handy. I think the PSCB are a nice compromise between the standard and the ceramic. I would order them again.
Ok, thanks :)

Friedrich

First Name
Friedrich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Future: 2020 Porsche Taycan, 2022 Tesla Y; Current: Boxster S, Acura MDX; Past: 66 VW Beetle, 82 Porsche SC Targa, 91 Acura NSX, 98 Porsche Carrera Cabr, 2002 Porsche Carrera Cabr, 2004 Porsche Cayenne S
Country flag
20200713_183101_resized.jpg
20200713_194833_resized.jpg
Do you mind telling us where in Atlanta did you have it tinted. I am also in Atlanta. There are good tinting places and bad ones. Looks like you got a great one.

wemct

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Do you mind telling us where in Atlanta did you have it tinted. I am also in Atlanta. There are good tinting places and bad ones. Looks like you got a great one.
I used The Three Tinters located at 5044 Winters Chapel Road, Suite C Atlanta, GA 30360. It is a family owned business. I dropped off the car at 10 am and picked it up at 1:30 pm.

wemct

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
My car has been sitting outside in the sun all day today. The temperature outside was 95 F (35C). For the first time in my experience, my black steering wheel was not hot to the touch. The nano ceramic tint on the windshield is amazing. I received the Porsche reflective sunshade this week. If I had known how well the tint was going to work, I would have skipped the sunshade for the windshield. (and once again I really don't know why people are complaining about the panoramic roof -- it barely felt warm and only when I put my fingers on it).

Reg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I really don't know why people are complaining about the panoramic roof -- it barely felt warm and only when I put my fingers on it).
I haven't heard any complaints about the panoramic roof - more about questions since it is new to many of us.

Good to hear about how well the nano has worked out - something I will look at since I am in Sunny California.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
and once again I really don't know why people are complaining about the panoramic roof -- it barely felt warm and only when I put my fingers on it
That is interesting to hear. Did you have the option of Thermally and noise insulated glass or just standard?

Great to hear your feedback about the nano ceramic working so well on the front screen! I need to see if that is available here and if it is allowed. I think we have much stricter rules about tinting here.

wemct

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I have the standard glass. I rarely order the optional glass due to the interference with radar detector signals and toll passes. The nano ceramic film I installed is a non-metallic tint so it will not cause interference. The tint on the windshield is almost clear (75% transmission). You cannot tell that the windshield has the film installed. The thing to keep in mind is the IR rejection capability not the darkness of the tint if the goal is to reduce the heat. IR capabilities increase from regular tint to carbon to carbon ceramic to nano ceramic.
Sponsored