Tires, other options

Dave T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I ordered a new 4S yesterday (!). Fro some reason, my dealer is telling me I have to have my options absolutely finalized by tomorrow. So I’m scrambling. Here’s my current build:

http://www.porsche-code.com/PLQVVRP0

Any comments or suggestions? One thing I’m wondering about is the all season tires. Should I get those? I live in the northeast, so lots of snow in the winter. My last 4 cars have been RWD standard transmission BMW 5s. I’ve always had separate winter wheels and tires. It would be nice not to have to do that anymore, if I’m not giving anything up with the all season tires.
Sponsored

Td78

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I ordered a new 4S yesterday (!). Fro some reason, my dealer is telling me I have to have my options absolutely finalized by tomorrow. So I’m scrambling. Here’s my current build:

Any comments or suggestions? One thing I’m wondering about is the all season tires. Should I get those? I live in the northeast, so lots of snow in the winter. My last 4 cars have been RWD standard transmission BMW 5s. I’ve always had separate winter wheels and tires. It would be nice not to have to do that anymore, if I’m not giving anything up with the all season tires.
I’m curious about the all season tires too...

Have you considered power folding mirrors?

MissionC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I ordered a new 4S yesterday (!). <snip>
One thing I’m wondering about is the all season tires. Should I get those? I live in the northeast, so lots of snow in the winter. My last 4 cars have been RWD standard transmission BMW 5s. I’ve always had separate winter wheels and tires. It would be nice not to have to do that anymore, if I’m not giving anything up with the all season tires.
Congrats! I specced the all season tires, which are likely a compromise all around, but after years of swapping summer and winter tires, I was just sick of it. As much as I like to think I’ll do it, I don’t push my car that hard and am less worried about overall, raw performance at this point.

wemct

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Cayenne S Coupe; '22 AMG SL55; Taycan 4S(sold)
Country flag

If you are accustomed to having separate winter tires and wheels, you will notice a big difference in the snow with all season tires even with all wheel drive. When I lived in Connecticut, I always had a separate set of winter tires and rims, except on my current daily driver (Maserati) which came with all season tires instead of summer tires. The all season tires were a joke in the snow because the tires were too wide for adequate traction in the snow. Fortunately, I now live in Georgia so snow is an unlikely event. My 4S will have all seasons mainly to help with the tread life vs. the high performance summer tires. Unless you are planning to track the Taycan, the all seasons that Porsche will put on the car will give you more than enough handling performance.

felixtb

First Name
felix
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche: Taycan R; Tesla: orig Roadster, X, new roadster reserved
Country flag
Used to have all season tires and decided that they were not good summer tires and awful winter tires, so I am definitely back on summers and winters. And with an EV that uses regen. to stop you will have no break dust so to switch them yourself I no longer a dirty job. I change the tires on my cars these days and it takes about 25mins per car. So much nicer job without all that black dust from the brakes.

Lfcdan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan (soon), Etron Launch edition (soon) EX 911 Targa 4s and Cayenne hybrid (2010)
Country flag

Looks great with the options you have added you cant be far off Turbo price?
I’m interested to know Are there any taxes etc to add to the price? As your US prices are cheaper than our UK which surprises me as i would have thought the US would be more expensive with shipping and import costs

Miwa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I’m interested to know Are there any taxes etc to add to the price? As your US prices are cheaper than our UK which surprises me as i would have thought the US would be more expensive with shipping and import costs
Cars are usually way cheaper here. Even for German cars, it’s cheaper in the US because we don’t have anything other than state sales tax.

OP
OP

Dave T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I know. The options are killing me. But if I got a turbo it would be even more after options.

Lfcdan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan (soon), Etron Launch edition (soon) EX 911 Targa 4s and Cayenne hybrid (2010)
Country flag
I know. The options are killing me. But if I got a turbo it would be even more after options.
Ive just swapped from 4s that was about £97,000 to a Turbo £121,000 :facepalm:
I still have 2 weeks before i have to lock my build spec in so no doubt i will add more stuff that i prob don’t need

But as the residuals are higher on the turbo over 3yrs its only costing me another £9,000 and I’m getting about 10k worth of options that I wouldn’t have added to my 4s

In the Uk we cant see the cars yet so it’s hard choosing the options and if they are good value, but what i do know is no matter which model you choose you cant go wrong, as an example its impossible to buy a bad 911 there are some that are just a bit better

Congratulations on your car :champagne:

OP
OP

Dave T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I hear you. I wish I could’ve test drove both a 4S and a turbo.

felixtb

First Name
felix
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche: Taycan R; Tesla: orig Roadster, X, new roadster reserved
Country flag
Cars are usually way cheaper here. Even for German cars, it’s cheaper in the US because we don’t have anything other than state sales tax.
Also because the non US manufacturers would have an almost impossible time selling their faire if the prices were as high as they are in the rest of the world.... the American market would just go back to a multitude of American built cars..... So they literally lower the base price for the US, similar to what they also do in countries with super high luxury taxes such as Denmark and Belgium (at least in the 80-90s) So buying on export from those markets can be super advantageous.........

Robert Q

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

Might I suggest changing the Puddle lights for the folding mirrors as you get courtesy lights that go on with the fold mirror option when you approach the car. I would also suggest you get eyes on the 19" wheels as I haven't seen them in person. I was at PECATL and saw every wheel but the 19" and 20 Aero Turbo. On my configuration I put on the Taycan Exclusive Design painted gloss black as I thought it was the best bang for the buck.

OP
OP

Dave T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Thanks. I did not know that. Do you know what the courtesy lights look like? Is this a "Porsche" that shines on the ground like the puddle lights?

Robert Q

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thanks. I did not know that. Do you know what the courtesy lights look like? Is this a "Porsche" that shines on the ground like the puddle lights?
The puddle lights look cheesy to me. Look on suncoastparts.com and decide for yourself. The courtesy light with the folding mirror when you are on the configuration and click the i and it will show the details.

OP
OP

Dave T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Thanks but I can’t find it on suncoastparts. Maybe I’m blind. Would you mind posting a link, or explaining where to find it on the site?
Sponsored