Mr.Smith

First Name
PaulS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS E-Tron GT, VW ID.4 Pro
Country flag
So I found some hard data to compare my impressions with. There is common data for Vairano Handling Course for the TTS and the RS Audi. TTS finishes the course in 1:15 and the Audi completes it in 1:17.6. So TTS is definitely slightly more capable which makes perfect sense. This can also be seen in the breaking distance for the two cars, 140 kph is 222 ft for TTS vs 231 ft Audi.

TTS is the more capable track car by a small but significant bit (if you are on a track) but for me these differences will never show up in aggressive daily driving.

Realistically on the track I'd take the McLaren 570, which does the same course in 1:12.7 (a bigger gap than the one in between the two cars). Or the 718 Spyder (1:14). Not to say its not amazing that either of these heavy EV sedans being in competitive range of track performance.
There is the RS that has the optional upgraded carbon ceramic brakes like your Year one ( Vorsprungor over seas) or the standard tungsten carbide. Do you know which one it had?
The Taycan Turbo, without PDCC is a more accurate comparison.
I also find it interesting that Audi didn't offer their version of PDCC on the RS E-Tron GT. I'm sure that will help

As cool as it is to have an EV on the track, other than one time to try it out, it's nothing I would do, nor do I see the purpose of it. I agree a 718 would be a better fit.
An EV can only hide the weight to an extent. Taycan with PDCC is as good as it gets for now until the Mission R is released.
Sponsored

OP
OP

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS Etron GT, Jaguar I-Pace, BMW i8, ex Taycan TTS
Country flag
There is the RS that has the optional upgraded carbon ceramic brakes like your Year one ( Vorsprungor over seas) or the standard tungsten carbide. Do you know which one it had?
The Taycan Turbo, without PDCC is a more accurate comparison.
I also find it interesting that Audi didn't offer their version of PDCC on the RS E-Tron GT. I'm sure that will help

As cool as it is to have an EV on the track, other than one time to try it out, it's nothing I would do, nor do I see the purpose of it. I agree a 718 would be a better fit.
An EV can only hide the weight to an extent. Taycan with PDCC is as good as it gets for now until the Mission R is released.
I can't find out, but that is a good point. I wasn't sure why by their numbers the RS Etron GT needed 5 more feet to stop, must be the standard breaks. Still the point is the same (which is what you were saying), if for track use I would lean towards the Taycan TTS, but for non track, for me, I prefer the 4S or Audi.

I have a feeling that VW/Audi/Porsche did not push the car to match the Turbo S.

As for the Mission R I will say something that may be sacrilage for some: I don't think I need ANY MORE horsepower. I am not waiting for small/low weight...

Mr.Smith

First Name
PaulS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I can't find out, but that is a good point. I wasn't sure why by their numbers the RS Etron GT needed 5 more feet to stop, must be the standard breaks. Still the point is the same (which is what you were saying), if for track use I would lean towards the Taycan TTS, but for non track, for me, I prefer the 4S or Audi.

I have a feeling that VW/Audi/Porsche did not push the car to match the Turbo S.

As for the Mission R I will say something that may be sacrilage for some: I don't think I need ANY MORE horsepower. I am not waiting for small/low weight...
VW is making something for everyone, with minimal overlap.
That's why they will be the top of the EV class.

The mission R might be the one that has the focus on weight due to the new battery tech.

For HP it has to be up to what the individual finds "fast enough" for their personal taste.
HP wars are never ending, there is no finish line.

OP
OP

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
For HP it has to be up to what the individual finds "fast enough" for their personal taste.
HP wars are never ending, there is no finish line.
Ok I'll propose an ending point: when you start needing special suits so your field of vision doesn't narrow on launch!

Mr.Smith

First Name
PaulS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
As an audio guy and knowing that cars are not the ideal environment for the best sound, how does the Taycan compare to the E-Tron GTs sound system?

OP
OP

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
As an audio guy and knowing that cars are not the ideal environment for the best sound, how does the Taycan compare to the E-Tron GTs sound system?
Thanks for the setup! Well its an unfair test for me, I went from the Burmeister from my TTS to a Harmon Kardon on the Audi. I have generally been a fan of Audi HK audio systems, they have the same level of care and quality as the rest of the interior. But compared against the Burmeister, well let's say it doesn't have a chance.

I ABSOLUTELY avoid any Audi with the Bose option, but that is because of Bose. The HK sound very good, and in fact is all you need for a car. But its a step down from the Burmeister. Then again I was telling my friend as much as I preferred it I don't think I would check the $7k+ option to get it if it wasn't already packaged because of the same reasons I have said before: a car is not an ideal listening environment.

Mr.Smith

First Name
PaulS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thanks for the setup! Well its an unfair test for me, I went from the Burmeister from my TTS to a Harmon Kardon on the Audi. I have generally been a fan of Audi HK audio systems, they have the same level of care and quality as the rest of the interior. But compared against the Burmeister, well let's say it doesn't have a chance.

I ABSOLUTELY avoid any Audi with the Bose option, but that is because of Bose. The HK sound very good, and in fact is all you need for a car. But its a step down from the Burmeister. Then again I was telling my friend as much as I preferred it I don't think I would check the $7k+ option to get it if it wasn't already packaged because of the same reasons I have said before: a car is not an ideal listening environment.
The Audi has the B&O. Is that the same as HK?

OP
OP

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The Audi has the B&O. Is that the same as HK?
nope, you are correct, just misspoke. i keep flipping the name of those two companies in my head. Thanks for correcting. Old habit.

OP
OP

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
So I listened to more reference stuff I have, the B&O is pretty good all in all. The main thing is to turn the treble down one notch as the treble is not as controlled as it should be and bump up the subwoofer one notch and TURN OFF all 3D and surround.

OP
OP

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Two big definite wins in my book in the Audi column:

1) The rear trunk CLOSES SILENTLY WITH NO BEEPING! Hooray! I know outside of US this is not a feature, but as minor as it was its was irritating....

2) Tire temperature readings in sports mode. Boy I never understood why Porsche doesn't do that in cars like the TTS and the 718 Spyder. Yes they are not perfect, and people started hurling insults in another Porsche forum because I pointed this out, about how no other real sports car has them (which is actually not true). Its very nice to have as a data point, specially with summer tires in colder temperatures and when pushing the tires hard.

Genau

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Two big definite wins in my book in the Audi column:
1) The rear trunk CLOSES SILENTLY WITH NO BEEPING! Hooray! I know outside of US this is not a feature, but as minor as it was its was irritating....
BTW the trunk close beeping can be disabled in the Taycan by your mechanic using PIWIS to alter a setting.

andrewket

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Taycan Turbo, Tesla Y*2; Prev S,X,3,996TT
Country flag
A friend of mine bought a launch edition RS and he took me for a brief ride a few days ago. The rear camera view is 3x better -- it looks normal like every other car on the road. I prefer the Taycan's interior, but I could see the RS appealing to a younger crowd (I'm 48). The UI looked a bit cleaner but I didn't spend much time with it.

OP
OP

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Another quick update now that I have more stick time with the Audi. Overall I love the car, can't find many flaws with its chosen balance of character. I still remain convinced that neither car is "better" or "worse" thankfully they are two different takes on the same incredibly well executed platform. It does come down to what your tastes, likes and even brand loyalty is.

I am now even more convinced that in speed and overall capability the Audi is on par with the Taycan. Not exactly as capable but close enough that for anything but a track it doesn't matter much. But here is what is confounding me. I personally have never had an experience where how the car "feels" as to its capabilities has been this decoupled from what it can do in this direction. I have been in plenty of American "sports" cars where they "feel" capable and then suddenly you realize its all show, that when you push them they fall apart quickly (I am also looking at you my Tesla Roadster, my ruined Lotus!).

This one is the other way. Because of how it feels more GT it "feels" like it shouldn't be able to come close to the Taycan TS. But its faking it. Every time I push it it just handles it. This is not about the speed, that feels the same in Dynamic mode (the comfort mode beautifully curves the throttle so you have speed but can just cruise along). Its the suspension and the handling. It makes sense, its the same basic set up, weight low, big tires, same positioning etc.

Still an interesting experience.

Mr.Smith

First Name
PaulS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Another quick update now that I have more stick time with the Audi. Overall I love the car, can't find many flaws with its chosen balance of character. I still remain convinced that neither car is "better" or "worse" thankfully they are two different takes on the same incredibly well executed platform. It does come down to what your tastes, likes and even brand loyalty is.

I am now even more convinced that in speed and overall capability the Audi is on par with the Taycan. Not exactly as capable but close enough that for anything but a track it doesn't matter much. But here is what is confounding me. I personally have never had an experience where how the car "feels" as to its capabilities has been this decoupled from what it can do in this direction. I have been in plenty of American "sports" cars where they "feel" capable and then suddenly you realize its all show, that when you push them they fall apart quickly (I am also looking at you my Tesla Roadster, my ruined Lotus!).

This one is the other way. Because of how it feels more GT it "feels" like it shouldn't be able to come close to the Taycan TS. But its faking it. Every time I push it it just handles it. This is not about the speed, that feels the same in Dynamic mode (the comfort mode beautifully curves the throttle so you have speed but can just cruise along). Its the suspension and the handling. It makes sense, its the same basic set up, weight low, big tires, same positioning etc.

To your point about suspension and handling, here is an comparison by Chris Harris and how the Etron GT has different driving dynamics than a traditional Audi

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag

Here is a comparison of the two.

Sponsored