Tyre temperature

David Bennett

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Golf 8r
Country flag
Anyone know if you can display tyre temperature in any of the screens? Taycans have TPMS fitted but I can only find information on displaying pressure. Would be good to have the temps too for any track work. Thanks.
Sponsored

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
Anyone know if you can display tyre temperature in any of the screens? Taycans have TPMS fitted but I can only find information on displaying pressure. Would be good to have the temps too for any track work. Thanks.
I have not found any way to display the temperature. The sensors that are installed can be read with a tyre sensor programmer and will show the temperature.

Vim Schrotnock

First Name
Vim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTB1 Race Cayman, Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
PV=nRT. Your tire pressure increase from cold will give you a good idea of the relative temps/workloads of your tires on the track. I always record and adjust my pre track pressure and record post pressures to make sure I've got as even a distribution as possible. On the road, I just make sure I have a couple psi increase when it's cold before I push it at all. The real benefit of temperature measurement on the track is to use a pyrometer to record inner/middle/outer temps of each tire to adjust your suspension settings. I don't think it has much use on the road, or even on the track for this car if you're monitoring cold and hot tire pressures.

OP
OP
David Bennett

David Bennett

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Golf 8r
Country flag
PV=nRT. Your tire pressure increase from cold will give you a good idea of the relative temps/workloads of your tires on the track. I always record and adjust my pre track pressure and record post pressures to make sure I've got as even a distribution as possible. On the road, I just make sure I have a couple psi increase when it's cold before I push it at all. The real benefit of temperature measurement on the track is to use a pyrometer to record inner/middle/outer temps of each tire to adjust your suspension settings. I don't think it has much use on the road, or even on the track for this car if you're monitoring cold and hot tire pressures.
Thanks for that. I was hoping for an easier way….. on previous cars I’ve had my screen set to show tyre temperature all the time even on the road. It gave me an indication of the level of grip I should be expecting, especially in colder ambient temperatures. It also let me know when I could push a bit more. I had been running cup2 tyres which are very temp sensitive. I miss the capability in the Taycan.?

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
The important temperature is the surface tread temperature and the rubber adjacent to the carcass.
Even when I was running Formula 1 cars there wasn't a reliable sensor for the carcass and the surface temperature is actually the least useful.
The usual procedure is for a tyre technician to actually pierce the tyre surface with a sharp thermocouple to get the key internal rubber temperature near the belt when the car is stopped.

In reality with a road car which you are not trying to adjust for best performance (since the car isn't adjustable enough to do so) the simplest and best thing to do is keep an eye on pressure.
It isn't the whole story since dynamically the temperature of the rim, sidewalls an belt will all be different whilst driving but will even out when you stop,
The pressure is the key thing.

FWIW I used to set them to within 0.1 psi and never adjusted the car until the technician gave me the sheet with the carcass temperatures on it, since the temps and pressures dominate and there is no point in changing the car itself if the pressures are wrong.

The best drivers knew this, Senna wouldn't even discuss the handling before he had seen the tyre sheet.

It may be different now with dozens of relatively inexperienced engineers but a lot of data logging :)

Last edited:

Vim Schrotnock

First Name
Vim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTB1 Race Cayman, Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
My track time has been severely limited the last 2 years, so I'm a bit rusty. I do remember using the pyrometer (a temperature probe with a needle that you insert into the tire) to adjust the tire pressures, not the suspension settings. Ideally, (with 'stock car' anyways), you want the temperature to be highest on the inner third of the tire, drop a few degrees in the center, then a further few degrees at the outer rim. If your tire is underinflated, you'll see a higher temperature on the outside rim, and will probably notice you're 'rolling over' on the outside of the tire from the wear pattern. If it's overinflated, you'll see the highest temperature in the middle. Here's a set of readings I had in my last measurement at the track - inside, middle and outer. You have to do the measurement right away, and get to all 4 tires as quickly as possible.

LF 150, 139, 143 - LR 163, 147, 139 - RF 145, 131, 127 - RR 148, 143, 131

My reading was that my LR is doing more work, which is the case on that particular track, and my LF was slightly under inflated since the middle temp was low compared to the outer temp. Of course, compared to someone with F1 experience, I definitely fall into the category of 'inexperienced engineer ...with a lot of data logging'. :angel:
Sponsored