Odd tyre wear

Midlifecrisis

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Taycan 4S (sold). Macan SD (sold)
Country flag
My Taycan has been in due to a heater failure and while there they did the usual “health check”. The front tyres are wearing evenly but the rear tyres have both worn disproportionately on the outer edges. Such that they are recommending replacement at just over 7000 miles. To me, it looks like the camber is set incorrectly which has caused the outer edges of the rear tyres to wear. I have asked the question and am awaiting a response. My previous 4S on PS4 tyres didn’t do this.
Taycan Turbo on Pirelli Cinturato P7 tyres.
Image of the report below.
By the way, Porsche Tewkesbury sorted out my heater failure pretty quickly (just over a week) - I left it with them while I was away on holiday.
Porsche Taycan Odd tyre wear IMG_0677
Sponsored

RAHRCR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Panamera Sport Turismo 4S
Country flag
This is concerning from both a cost and environmental standpoint. Unless we are racing, we should all be able to get at least 20K miles on a set on passenger car tires.

WasserGKuehlt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4CT, 996C2, MacanS
Country flag
Outside wear (edit) on the rears (end edit) is unusual, sounds like a toeing issue. There are several threads around here on uneven wear, with the inner side wearing out faster. My rears are almost gone at 16k mi.

cityhpper

First Name
Johan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan CT4. 20" summers, 20" winters.
Country flag
Outside wear (edit) on the rears (end edit) is unusual, sounds like a toeing issue. There are several threads around here on uneven wear, with the inner side wearing out faster. My rears are almost gone at 16k mi.
Agreed. Loks like too much toe in at the rears, which is unusual considering car lowers when on highway and/or sport settings. Would aks dealer to verify that the suspension alignment is within specs.

AJ1

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover
Country flag
My Taycan has been in due to a heater failure and while there they did the usual “health check”. The front tyres are wearing evenly but the rear tyres have both worn disproportionately on the outer edges. Such that they are recommending replacement at just over 7000 miles. To me, it looks like the camber is set incorrectly which has caused the outer edges of the rear tyres to wear. I have asked the question and am awaiting a response. My previous 4S on PS4 tyres didn’t do this.
By the way, Porsche Tewkesbury sorted out my heater failure pretty quickly (just over a week) - I left it with them while I was away on holiday.
IMG_0677.jpeg
I have a cross turismo turbo S my rear tyres lasted 7500miles and front are down to 4mm. Porsche recommendation is change at 3mm. Not great for tyres.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
IMG_0677.jpeg
Unfortunate but alignment can easily go awry due to pot holes etc

18K miles on Michelin tyres for me but not yet sure how the Pirellis will fair.

OP
OP
Midlifecrisis

Midlifecrisis

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Unfortunate but alignment can easily go awry due to pot holes etc

18K miles on Michelin tyres for me but not yet sure how the Pirellis will fair.
Whilst your statement is obviously correct it does seem suspiciously symmetrical

Tsingtao

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toucan RWD
Country flag
Porsche Taycan Odd tyre wear Screen Shot 2022-11-14 at 7.27.24 PM

Premature outside tire wear is a function of driving in "stud" mode. Note the serious negative camber (2+ degrees per my tire guy) in the picture above. The Taycan looks badass when fully lowered and it handles even better. The trade-off is that you chew up the outer tread. Best advice is to spend more time in "normal" suspension setting and only drop down to stud mode when necessary.

WasserGKuehlt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4CT, 996C2, MacanS
Country flag
Screen Shot 2022-11-14 at 7.27.24 PM.png

Premature outside tire wear is a function of driving in "stud" mode. Note the serious negative camber (2+ degrees per my tire guy) in the picture above. The Taycan looks badass when fully lowered and it handles even better. The trade-off is that you chew up the outer tread. Best advice is to spend more time in "normal" suspension setting and only drop down to stud mode when necessary.
Outer?
With negative camber, the inner side bears more of the mass, and so wears out faster. Positive camber used to be a thing with simple suspension designs, whereby loading the axle would bring the wheel to neutral or negative camber.

OP
OP
Midlifecrisis

Midlifecrisis

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Fobbed off with this (spelling mistakes are theirs):

"My workshop do not have an exact explaination on the outer wear on your rear tyres. They have said however it isnt anything to be overly concern by, we are talking about 1.6mm diffrence across the whole tyre - the only valid explaination could be due to the fact your Taycan Turbo has dynamic height control, consistently changing the height of the vehicle, subsequently adjusting the camber."

I pointed out that the tyres start with 7mm of tread so the 1.6mm difference is actually 100% difference inner vs outer wear (OSR has used 1.6mm tread on the inner edge and 3.3mm on the outer).

My take on this is that the Pirelli Cinturato tyres that it shipped with do not appear to be fit for purpose on a Taycan Turbo. I will certainly not be replacing them with more Pirellis. I think the Michelin PS4 is a much better tyre.

Do you think there is any mileage in writing to Porsche GB? or am I just wasting my time here? I suspect so.

WasserGKuehlt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4CT, 996C2, MacanS
Country flag
This is really puzzling. I would suspect a toe out of spec for such a pronounced difference. Do you have RAS?

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Fobbed off with this (spelling mistakes are theirs):

"My workshop do not have an exact explaination on the outer wear on your rear tyres. They have said however it isnt anything to be overly concern by, we are talking about 1.6mm diffrence across the whole tyre - the only valid explaination could be due to the fact your Taycan Turbo has dynamic height control, consistently changing the height of the vehicle, subsequently adjusting the camber."

I pointed out that the tyres start with 7mm of tread so the 1.6mm difference is actually 100% difference inner vs outer wear (OSR has used 1.6mm tread on the inner edge and 3.3mm on the outer).

My take on this is that the Pirelli Cinturato tyres that it shipped with do not appear to be fit for purpose on a Taycan Turbo. I will certainly not be replacing them with more Pirellis. I think the Michelin PS4 is a much better tyre.

Do you think there is any mileage in writing to Porsche GB? or am I just wasting my time here? I suspect so.
Most Taycans have air suspension.

Hogwash IMHO.

There is a interesting review of 2nd hand Taycans in one of the UK magazines which calls out uneven / odd tyre wear being a common observation / issue

Silverback

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Model 3 Perf.
Country flag
My car is in to have the heater sorted as well. So received the Health Check; the tyres are down to the cords, on the inside, but still within legal limit across the tyre. This does not seem right to me and did not get a convincing response why. Worst thing is it is dangerous, I check the tyres regularly i.e. running your fingers across the three tread wear indicators, which you can see from the pic are OK (but close to needing a replacement). The tryes have done over 30k so happy with them. Need to push a little harder with the dealer to find a an answer, to ensure that the next set don't go the same way.
Porsche Taycan Odd tyre wear 1705572009832

OP
OP
Midlifecrisis

Midlifecrisis

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
My car is in to have the heater sorted as well. So received the Health Check; the tyres are down to the cords, on the inside, but still within legal limit across the tyre. This does not seem right to me and did not get a convincing response why. Worst thing is it is dangerous, I check the tyres regularly i.e. running your fingers across the three tread wear indicators, which you can see from the pic are OK (but close to needing a replacement). The tryes have done over 30k so happy with them. Need to push a little harder with the dealer to find a an answer, to ensure that the next set don't go the same way.
1705572009832.png
Good mileage. Which tyres?

Tsingtao

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toucan RWD
Country flag
Outer?
With negative camber, the inner side bears more of the mass, and so wears out faster. Positive camber used to be a thing with simple suspension designs, whereby loading the axle would bring the wheel to neutral or negative camber.
I think you are 100% correct. I just checked my stack of old summer tires and the wear is all on the inside. Sorry for any confusion.
Sponsored