Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, BMW X3 35d, BMW 135i
Country flag
Ok, so this is a UK question...

I don't have off-street parking or any way to charge an EV from my home and I don't have the benefit of any destination charging either.

I know this is likely the polar opposite of the vast majority of Taycan owners.

One possible scenario is just to buy a new Taycan when the battery is empty, at least then I won't have the 12v battery problems.

On the other hand, though I'm sure this is the wrong audience, does anyone have experience of Ubitricity?

At the moment my street has no EV charge points, however, I have been in correspondence with the council and they have told me that they will shortly begin converting 15 lamp posts in resident parking areas to EV charge points.

If I am lucky, that should happen before I take delivery in 8 weeks.

I have no idea what contention for these will be, especially as they are not EV dedicated spaces and any resident can park there (though they have signs suggesting using a non charging space if there is one available - not that people will pay attention).

At least having charging points in resident parking bays, assuming I can get one when I need one, is a step in the right direction.

Ubitricty offer a subscription service which costs £7.99 pcm and is 16.2p/kWh, but you need to buy their metered type 2 charge cable for £300.

There is also a 19p plug in charge ... what on earth is that all about!

Frankly this is the only practical option for me to do over night charging.

Any experiences or thoughts?
Sponsored

Gogs

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, 911 4S, Range Rover Sport Hybrid, Range Rover Vouge
Country flag
Ok, so this is a UK question...

I don't have off-street parking or any way to charge an EV from my home and I don't have the benefit of any destination charging either.

I know this is likely the polar opposite of the vast majority of Taycan owners.

One possible scenario is just to buy a new Taycan when the battery is empty, at least then I won't have the 12v battery problems.

On the other hand, though I'm sure this is the wrong audience, does anyone have experience of Ubitricity?

At the moment my street has no EV charge points, however, I have been in correspondence with the council and they have told me that they will shortly begin converting 15 lamp posts in resident parking areas to EV charge points.

If I am lucky, that should happen before I take delivery in 8 weeks.

I have no idea what contention for these will be, especially as they are not EV dedicated spaces and any resident can park there (though they have signs suggesting using a non charging space if there is one available - not that people will pay attention).

At least having charging points in resident parking bays, assuming I can get one when I need one, is a step in the right direction.

Ubitricty offer a subscription service which costs £7.99 pcm and is 16.2p/kWh, but you need to buy their metered type 2 charge cable for £300.

There is also a 19p plug in charge ... what on earth is that all about!

Frankly this is the only practical option for me to do over night charging.

Any experiences or thoughts?
So basically a 26p + 19p per day standing charge and 16p per kw. The one off costs per day are quite high, but if that’s your only option you just have to accept that. Your biggest problem is going to be finding that space, it’s more likely that you should find a 50kw charger on the way home and just top up. Not an ideal situation for you tbh.

OP
OP
Neighs

Neighs

First Name
Horsey
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, BMW X3 35d, BMW 135i
Country flag
So basically a 26p + 19p per day standing charge and 16p per kw. The one off costs per day are quite high, but if that’s your only option you just have to accept that. Your biggest problem is going to be finding that space, it’s more likely that you should find a 50kw charger on the way home and just top up. Not an ideal situation for you tbh.
I didn't consider amortising the £7 pcm per day ... actually, it's probably worse than that ... as I only really will charge 3 days a week!

There is a 22kw hour charger "round the corner" but it charges by the minute and it will be a pain to get to compared to charging outside the house over night.

At the moment I use about £70 pw on diesel.
I think I will end up spending about £30 on charging.
Sponsored