Chuck J

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Silver Taycan 4S, 2012 991 911 (sold), 1995 993 (Gave to son) 1965 356 (gave to son)
Country flag
Congratulations!!! Looks great. Have a great ride. Mine is scheduled to be built in June and I can hardly wait.

Chuck J

Dave T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Do the cars ship wrapped like that? I don't know anything about how they ship cars. I once did European delivery of a black BMW 545. The paint was beautiful when I drove the car in Germany. When it arrived at my dealer in the US, it had tons of swirl marks in the paint that I could never get rid of. My BMW dealer told me that that was from when they buffed the car after it got off the ship. Very annoying. If the cars are shipped wrapped like that, that would seem to prevent this problem. Is wrapping the car a Porsche thing?

Friedrich

First Name
Friedrich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Future: 2020 Porsche Taycan, 2022 Tesla Y; Current: Boxster S, Acura MDX; Past: 66 VW Beetle, 82 Porsche SC Targa, 91 Acura NSX, 98 Porsche Carrera Cabr, 2002 Porsche Carrera Cabr, 2004 Porsche Cayenne S
Country flag
Do the cars ship wrapped like that? I don't know anything about how they ship cars. I once did European delivery of a black BMW 545. The paint was beautiful when I drove the car in Germany. When it arrived at my dealer in the US, it had tons of swirl marks in the paint that I could never get rid of. My BMW dealer told me that that was from when they buffed the car after it got off the ship. Very annoying. If the cars are shipped wrapped like that, that would seem to prevent this problem. Is wrapping the car a Porsche thing?
Sounds like the person that buffed that car did not know what he was doing. The swirl came from the buffing. Buffed too much. You should have demanded a new car!!! Seriously....that is not normal or acceptable

Dave T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I was not happy. But a new car wasn’t an option. I brought it back to the dealer’s detail department twice, and they did their best, but the swirls were still visible.

Anyway, I’m still wondering - does Porsche wrap their cars for shipment? Do other car companies not do that? So no buffing? My taycan will be white, so less of an issue in any case.

Gogs

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, 911 4S, Range Rover Sport Hybrid, Range Rover Vouge
Country flag
I was not happy. But a new car wasn’t an option. I brought it back to the dealer’s detail department twice, and they did their best, but the swirls were still visible.

Anyway, I’m still wondering - does Porsche wrap their cars for shipment? Do other car companies not do that? So no buffing? My taycan will be white, so less of an issue in any case.
I always get my new cars professionally detailed and ceramic coated. I tell the dealers to leave the car body and interior as delivered and my detailed picks up the car on a low loader to his facility. Best way! Dealers are rubbish at preparing cars.

Dave T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
It wasn’t the dealer that buffed the swirl marks into the car. It happened at the port when they took it off the ship.

Anyhew... can anyone answer my question about wrapping the cars for shipping?

GreggT

First Name
GreggT
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.drivingfanatic.com
Vehicles
Multiple Porsches and Mercedes AMG
Country flag
Stuff happens in transit.
Way back when PDI was Charleston I was able to get back in the bowels of that place and I saw stuff I was not suppose to see......i.e. a full fledged body shop.

Gogs

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, 911 4S, Range Rover Sport Hybrid, Range Rover Vouge
Country flag
It wasn’t the dealer that buffed the swirl marks into the car. It happened at the port when they took it off the ship.

The shipping agent doesn’t buff, wash or anything else at the port. They unload only. Doesn’t make sense that the shipping agent does this.

TAEKON

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
550M R8 S4 300B
Country flag
Both of my Audi R8's were wrapped on the transporter......don't know about shipboard.......

GreggT

First Name
GreggT
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.drivingfanatic.com
Vehicles
Multiple Porsches and Mercedes AMG
Country flag
OK........I referenced 'Charleston PDI' years ago..........unless things have changed significantly.....vehicles do not go from dock ("shipping agent") to transport to dealer.
My last info was that PCNA still had at least three PDI's in North America......wife's Taycan stops in Houston at least a week before starting transit to our dealer.
Years ago (at least back then) PDI checked just about everything on ea. vehicle before loading it up..........but maybe it's different now.
Sponsored