Using Tesla chargers with adapter -- which side's charging port?

ZenicaNC

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Cayenne S E-Hybrid
Country flag
I picked up a converter which will allow charging my Taycan off of a Tesla charger but I noticed the adapter doesn't make use of the two plugs beneath the J1772 on the passenger side charge port. What would be the maximum charge rate using a Tesla charger seeing as it is limited to just the J1772? Would it matter which side of the car I connect to?
Sponsored

beefster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S
Country flag
The two plugs beneath the J1772 on the passenger side are for DC fast charging only. Tesla DC fast charging won't be available for Taycans until 2025 with a different, separate adapter (NACS --> CCS1)

With the standard Taycan onboard charger, capable 3rd party adapter and 60A or higher circuit, you can get up to 11.5kW AC charging. Both sides are capable of AC charging so it does not matter which side to pick. That number goes up to 19.2kW with the 19.2kW Taycan option, 100A circuit and capable 3rd party adapter.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
@beefster has you covered - answer 100% correct

either side works on the Taycan/Audi Teton - the "extra" PINs on the passenger side are for commercial FastDC CCS1 charging (like Electrify America or EVGo) - they have nothing to do with home L1/L2 120V/240V AC charging - and are unused for that purpose…

OP
OP

ZenicaNC

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Cayenne S E-Hybrid
Country flag
Thanks for the explanation, it was perfect. Thanks.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
I picked up a converter which will allow charging my Taycan off of a Tesla charger but I noticed the adapter doesn't make use of the two plugs beneath the J1772 on the passenger side charge port. What would be the maximum charge rate using a Tesla charger seeing as it is limited to just the J1772? Would it matter which side of the car I connect to?
maximum charge rate for L1/L2 Tesla EVSE's (NOT superchargers) is limited by your Taycan's on board charger. Taycan has two possible onboard chargers:
  • standard equipment is: 11 kW - 48 amp charge rate (60 amp breaker)
  • optional equipment (ordered at vehicle build time - factory installed) - 19.2 kW - 80 amps (100 amp breaker)
    • you can retrofit this onboard charger to your Taycan at your porsche service center for $5000 or more due to labor costs to tear down the car and swap the charger - it's a $1680 option when you order the vehicle but is currently missing from the configurator for the new Taycan.
Tesla EVSE's that you'll run into in the wild range from 4 kW to 19.2 kW - all depends on the circuit installed by the EVSE's owner at the site - most public J-1772/Tesla EVSE's range from 5 kW to 9.6 kW (40 amps or less is very very common).

the J-1772 North American standard is limited to 19.2 kW as the maximum specified charge rate - so there is no such thing as an L2/AC 240V charger in North America that does more than 19.2 kW.

your Taycan will never charge faster than it's onboard charger allows - so that's your limit - if your Taycan has an 11 kW onboard charger and you plug into a 19.2 kW J-1772/Tesla destination charger - 11 kW will be the maximum charge rate since that's all the Taycan can handle based on it's fastory installed onboard charger.
Sponsored

Last edited: