Charging a Taycan using Tesla (Super)chargers in the UK

Sidicks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi S1, Porsche Taycan ST GTS
Country flag
I've read various articles that suggest that Tesla will (or has already done so) allow other marques to utilise their charging network. There are YouTube videos showing this being done in the Netherlands, but not sure if this is working in the UK yet?

Has anyone done so in the UK and if so, can you advise what app you need and do you need any sort of adaptor for the charge cable?

Given my car won't arrive for 3-6 months, there's not a rush, but I'm keen to understand what I need to set up in advance so that I am fully prepared for the various different options!

Thanks
Sponsored

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Fiat 500 EV
Country flag
Has anyone done so in the UK and if so, can you advise what app you need and do you need any sort of adaptor for the charge cable?
If this does come to the UK or other European countries and adaptor won't be required as CCS is the standard that both Taycan and Tesla use here.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Yep - CCS2 std so no challenge there. Suspect the 'trial' went fine and the delay in rollout is figuring out how to charge non-Tesla folk.

OP
OP
Sidicks

Sidicks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Yep - CCS2 std so no challenge there. Suspect the 'trial' went fine and the delay in rollout is figuring out how to charge non-Tesla folk.
Thanks to all who have replied.

With any luck this will be up and running by Q2 next year when I’m hoping my car will arrive, as there’s a few Supercharger options on my route to visit my family via the A303 etc.

Nuttyatco

First Name
Sarah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S Cross Turismo
Country flag
Thanks to all who have replied.

With any luck this will be up and running by Q2 next year when I’m hoping my car will arrive, as there’s a few Supercharger options on my route to visit my family via the A303 etc.
Ditto. It’s what I’m banking on when I swap from Tesla to CT4S also Q2 this year (although I’ll be travelling opposite direction to you - family in Kent).

OP
OP
Sidicks

Sidicks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Make sure you both have the 150kW 400v DC booster option to take advantage.
Oh yes, I’ve already taken your advice on that one!
:like:

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
The trial didn't go so smoothly. Example issues which cannot be solved with a software update (like billing or charger interoperability):
https://insideevs.com/news/545500/nontesla-evs-blocks-tesla-superchargers/

TLDR; cables too short for some EV's, parking/charger layout designed for charge port in rear driver's side only - causing issues when a single EV takes multiple spaces in order for the charging cable to reach. Longer cables might require active cooling or to be much thicker (harder to handle), so not a quick retrofit either.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Sidicks

Sidicks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The trial didn't go so smooth. Example issues which cannot be solved with a software update (like billing or charger interoperability):
https://insideevs.com/news/545500/nontesla-evs-blocks-tesla-superchargers/

TLDR; cables too short for some EV's, parking/charger layout designed for charge port in rear driver's side only - causing issues when a single EV takes multiple spaces in order for the charging cable to reach.
Maybe in the short term they will restrict the non-Tesla charging to only those cars which are ‘compatible’ with the current set-up, which would include the Taycan.

MrB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S and Fiat 500e La Prima
Country flag
Maybe in the short term they will restrict the non-Tesla charging to only those cars which are ‘compatible’ with the current set-up, which would include the Taycan.
Would that not be a problem in the UK for the Taycan with the DC charge port being on the opposite side from EU Taycans or are Tesla superchargers opposite “handed” in comparison to the EU superchargers?

McgR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4
Country flag
Taycan would be compatible indeed. Strange that the article says the Taycan might be too big. It has the same dimensions as a model S if I am not mistaken.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
Taycan would be compatible indeed. Strange that the article says the Taycan might be too big. It has the same dimensions as a model S if I am not mistaken.
The charge port on a Taycan is farther away from the bumper than the model S, so even though they are similar size, the charge port is farther. Tesla supercharger cables are really short to limit the resistive losses and avoid the need for active cooling. That's why all Teslas have the charge port at the very back.

Last edited:

McgR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4
Country flag
The charge port on a Taycan is further away from the bumper than the model S, so even though they are similar size, the charge port is farther. Tesla supercharger cables are really short to limit the resistive losses and avoid the need for active cooling. That's why all Teslas have the charge port at the very back.
Maybe the higher ground clearance and 3 cm lift of the CT will be just enough to park it just over the border? As long as it stay in lift mode while charging.
Sponsored