First Name
Alok
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Cayenne, BMW 5 Series
Country flag
Finally...

https://newsroom.porsche.com/en_US/...andard_in_future_electric_vehicles-34786.html

Volkswagen, Audi, Porsche and Scout Motors brands to implement the North American Charging Standard in future electric vehicles
12/19/2023
  • Future Volkswagen, Audi, Porsche and Scout electric vehicles to use the North American Charging Standard (NACS) charging port, starting in 2025
  • Volkswagen, Porsche, and Audi are exploring adapter solutions for existing vehicles to access the Tesla Supercharger network, starting in 2025
  • Scout Motors customers will be able to access the Tesla network once its vehicles go on sale
  • Agreement intended to expand customer charging access to more than 15,000 Superchargers
Volkswagen, Audi, Porsche and Scout Motors today announced planned implementation of the North American Charging Standard (NACS) for future products in the North American region, beginning in 2025. To enable existing customers with a Combined Charging System (CCS) charging port to access the Tesla Supercharger network—which would greatly expand charging provider choice—the brands are exploring adapter solutions for existing vehicles. This has the potential to expand customer charging access to more than 15,000 Superchargers. This is in addition to the more than 3,800 DC fast charging outlets currently in operation by Electrify America and Electrify Canada.

Electrify America has already announced it will work to offer the NACS connector at charging stations by 2025 in North America, as well as continuing to support CCS.
Volkswagen Group remains committed to improving the charging experience through open standards and interoperability.

Porsche Taycan VW Group (Porsche, Audi, Scout) Commits to NACS ntian_Blue_Taycan_Turbo_Cross_Turismo_019_MA901369

“This is great news for our electric vehicle customers in the North American Region,” said Pablo Di Si, President and CEO, Volkswagen Group of America. “This potentially provides them with access to more than 15,000 additional charging points as well as the current near-4,000 DC fast charging outlets operated by Electrify America. It would mean that customers of our fast-selling electric vehicles like the Volkswagen ID.4 will have access to an extensive and growing charging network.”

Rebecca Tinucci, Senior Director of Charging at Tesla said: “Earlier this year, the North American Charging standard was just an idea. Today, with the VW Group’s commitment, almost every major automotive manufacturer is onboard, rallying behind a shared vision of improving charging experiences for all EV drivers. This is only the beginning of our industry-wide efforts to accelerate the world’s transition to sustainable energy.”

Porsche Taycan VW Group (Porsche, Audi, Scout) Commits to NACS ntian_Blue_Taycan_Turbo_Cross_Turismo_016_MA902219

“We strive to provide an exceptional and seamless customer experience, and when it comes to charging, greater choice is a key factor in delivering this,” said Timo Resch, President and CEO of Porsche Cars North America. “Today our customers already have access to thousands of charging sites across America thanks to Electrify America, with existing stations being renewed and new sites being added weekly. We are proud to announce that in 2025 we will also partner with Tesla to significantly expand the network of chargers throughout the U.S. that will become available to our customers.”

“Our future customers are at the heart of every decision we make as we design our new Scout vehicles,” said Scott Keogh, President and CEO, Scout Motors. “Engineering NACS connectors into our vehicles from the onset will give Scout customers access to a vast and quickly expanding fast-charging network spanning North America.”

Details of the planned integration of the Tesla North American Charging Standard into specific models will follow as the launch date of 2025 nears.

Last edited by a moderator:

DRR

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S, 2021 Model Y Performance
Country flag
No adapters until 2025?

• Volkswagen, Porsche, and Audi are exploring adapter solutions for existing vehicles to access the Tesla Supercharger network, starting in 2025

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
No adapters until 2025?

As sad as this sounds, 1 year would be optimistic for VWAG. It takes them almost a year to release a software patch (think back how long it takes to fix Taycan software issues). Hopefully VWAG is not designing their own hardware for this, that takes years to perfect (Porsche is still working on a reliable heater for the Taycan).

Hirschaj

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan CT4 - Mamba Green, 2022 Challenger
Country flag
Maybe they actually listened to our feedback in that recent survey.

bluesky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW F10 M5 Comp, BMW F10 550i
Country flag
I’m not sure it said that the adapter won’t be ready until 2025. It may have said that Tesla isn’t opening the supercharger network to VW group cars until then…. The punishment for not signing on earlier…

UserNameRequired

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Tesla Model 3/X
Country flag
I’m not sure it said that the adapter won’t be ready until 2025. It may have said that Tesla isn’t opening the supercharger network to VW group cars until then…. The punishment for not signing on earlier…
I wonder if Tesla will come out with a Tesla branded adapter at a large markup - like $1-2k.

beefster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S
Country flag
I wonder if Tesla will come out with a Tesla branded adapter at a large markup - like $1-2k.
The CCS1 -> NACS from Tesla is reasonably priced at $250 so I would hope if they ever make a NACS -> CCS1 adapter it would be in the $300-$500 range. The aftermarket NACS->CCS1 adapter (A2Z) is $206. I think I would pay up to $1k to never use EA/EVGo again

DougFrisk

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
No longer awaiting a 4CT
Country flag
The CCS1 -> NACS from Tesla is reasonably priced at $250 so I would hope if they ever make a NACS -> CCS1 adapter it would be in the $300-$500 range. The aftermarket NACS->CCS1 adapter (A2Z) is $206. I think I would pay up to $1k to never use EA/EVGo again
Hope you have the 150 KW voltage booster. Otherwise you're going to be sorely disappointed charging at Bolt speeds on Tesla's 400 volt chargers.

Bill33525

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘24 Q8 ETron 55 SUV, '22 Taycan RWD
Country flag
Wish Tesla would announce the date to allow us to use their SuC Network. There will be tons of adapters on the market soon. Magic Dock will charge any car so generic adapters will probably work. I'm on the east coast where there is just a jungle of TSuC all over the place. The only problem is dealing with the current short cables. V4 dispensers will solve that issue. I can't wait for the opening bell! We visit The Delaware shore area where there are no CCS fast chargers but there are 3 TSuC on the main drag!

kotyara

First Name
Konstantin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 2021 4S
Country flag
No adapters until 2025?

There’s plenty on the market already. Tesla chargers talk CCS standard, it’s just a matter of tesla activating Porsche vehicles in their mobile app. No VW involvement required.
Thanks god, EA is bad.

kotyara

First Name
Konstantin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 2021 4S
Country flag
Wish Tesla would announce the date to allow us to use their SuC Network. There will be tons of adapters on the market soon. Magic Dock will charge any car so generic adapters will probably work. I'm on the east coast where there is just a jungle of TSuC all over the place. The only problem is dealing with the current short cables. V4 dispensers will solve that issue. I can't wait for the opening bell! We visit The Delaware shore area where there are no CCS fast chargers but there are 3 TSuC on the main drag!
Jan 1st. That date was announced already for everyone who joined NACS initiative.
Sponsored