First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S, 2019 Panamera, 2017 991.2
Country flag
Hello everyone,
I have a 2022 Taycan 4s arriving in couple months and getting ready for the solar & charging station. I have narrow down to these two home charger:

1. Wallbox Pulsar Plus- https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08H3PPJX...colid=IJ9HVE99XGT6&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it
2. ChargePoint Home Flex- https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07WXZDHG...colid=IJ9HVE99XGT6&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Just wondering if anyone has long term experience- over a year and everyday usage on these two? Any pro and cons from your experience?

Thank you.
Sponsored

02bluesuperroo

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Porsche Taycan 4s
Country flag
Hello everyone,
I have a 2022 Taycan 4s arriving in couple months and getting ready for the solar & charging station. I have narrow down to these two home charger:

1. Wallbox Pulsar Plus- https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08H3PPJX...colid=IJ9HVE99XGT6&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it
2. ChargePoint Home Flex- https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07WXZDHG...colid=IJ9HVE99XGT6&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Just wondering if anyone has long term experience- over a year and everyday usage on these two? Any pro and cons from your experience?

Thank you.
Just curious, did you spec the 19.2kw charger?

amelen

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.alexmelen.com
Vehicles
2021 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
No, I did not spec the 19.2kw charger~
Everyone's situation is different of course - but you're most likely fine with the 32-40amp Porsche charger (that I believe is included with the car?). I say 32-40 because the older models were 32 but I believe the newer ones are 40.

Aside from that, I like the mustart ev chargers. They just sent me a soon-to-be-released wall box unit to beta test that looks promising and will probably cost less than the two you mentioned.

Alex74

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4 CT (MY22)
Country flag
I have an Etrel inch pro 22kWcharger, that is smart. He automaticly changes the power, when we cook or so. It connects with modbus. It’s in aluminium in dark grey or white. It’s connected with the solarpanels.
i import them for Belgium and luxemburg. And we’ve installed a lot of them. Even our porsche dealers loves them. You can have a wall or pole version.
check my site www.powerland.be
still waiting on my mamba green ct.

Last edited:

Windpower

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y, BMW X3, Taycan RWD Coffee
Country flag
While I have not used either EVSE, in general here are a couple of things you need to consider:

1. what kind of electric service do you have in your house? How much power can you dedicate for EV charging at night? This is really the #1 thing you need to decide. When I was getting ready to install my first EVSE, I ran a load calculation on my house to figure out how much power I could dedicate to charge my EV.

2. how far from the charge port in your car is the EVSE (the Wallbox or Chargepoint)? This will determine how long of a cable you need to get.

3. if you want to dedicate more than 40 amps to the car charger, then you need a wired electrical connector. If you have 40 amps or less, you can use a wall plug. Commonly a NEMA 14-50 plug is used when setting up a EV charger at 40 amps or less. Both of these can be installed by an electrician.

The EVSEs you asked about both have WiFi and schedulers. Scheduled charging is great to avoid conflicting with other high power devices in your house (example: electric dryer, dish washer, electric oven) and to lower charging costs (many electric providers give discounts when EVs are charged off peak hours).

My suggestion is to buy the EVSE before you bring in an electrician. It will give the electrician a better idea where to install the EVSE and whether a plug or direct connection will be needed.

Once you have figured out the power you can dedicate and the length of cable you need, pretty much any good EVSE with WiFi and a scheduler will do the job. While I personally use a Juicebox 40, the Chargepoint gets good reviews and the Wallbox specs look good as well.

Tooney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Hello everyone,

Thank you.
I am facing the same choice between the two EVSE units you listed. Just curious, which one did you choose, and why?

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
the $1500 Porsche wall charger is an excellent choice and a new offering on the scene since this was originally posted.

YWGT3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Turbo, BMW i8, and EQE 500 4Matic
Country flag
The Chargepoint Home Flex has been worry-free for me for the last 2+ yrs, thanks to its heavy-duty cable and sturdy housing. The constant glowing green light, which it emits, offers a nice ambient illumination to the garage.

Bella

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4 CT, Prius
Country flag
The Chargepoint Home Flex has been worry-free for me for the last 2+ yrs, thanks to its heavy-duty cable and sturdy housing. The constant glowing green light, which it emits, offers a nice ambient illumination to the garage.
I have also been looking at the Chargepoint. But I’m wondering why some people are not using the Porsche device? What is the main thing Porsche is missing?

YWGT3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Turbo, BMW i8, and EQE 500 4Matic
Country flag
I have also been looking at the Chargepoint. But I’m wondering why some people are not using the Porsche device? What is the main thing Porsche is missing?
Actually, since I have two plug-in vehicles, the Porsche charging device is mounted on the opposite wall to the Chargepoint. But if I only need to charge one of the cars, it's always the Chargepoint. Perhaps I'm drawn to the warm green glow it emits. :p

TaycanCook

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MG 4S CT
Country flag
There is a nice review done by Tom of State of Charge (on YouTube) for the wallbox and the charge point. I'm contemplating a charge point, purely because of the cable pliability in cold weather. I'm a bit leery of the PMCC because of reports of undersized wires for the current it draws. Full disclosure, I do not own a PMCC, and am only giving you my perspective based on research.

Windpower

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y, BMW X3, Taycan RWD Coffee
Country flag
I am facing the same choice between the two EVSE units you listed. Just curious, which one did you choose, and why?
You might want to check with your local power utility. They might have some pretty nice rebates for installing a particular EVSE. In my area, there is a $500 rebate on the Chargepoint and Juicebox, which both have WiFi connectivity. The utility also gives a 25% discount for EVSE power between the hours of 11pm and 6am.
But my utility only offers this for certain EVSEs where they can get charging information via the WiFi connection.
Sponsored

Last edited: