daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
the brakes can't slow the vehicle any faster than the grip level of your tires - period full stop - PCCB's vs. PCSB vs. Steel does not change your tire's grip/traction level. If you want to improve your Taycan's stopping distance purchase stickier tires - slicks would make your Taycan stop much faster

also keep in mind - ABS will be a factor and ABS "releases" the brakes just before the tires "lock up" - this is the grip threshold of the tires (maximum grip and therefore maximum deceleration possible) and steel brakes on the Taycan can reach ABS thresholds when slowing the Taycan.

if your brakes are cool and unstressed there is virtually no stopping distance between different rotor types - the stopping distance is a function of effective traction/grip of your tires and the maximum g's they can sustain during heavy braking…ultimately stopping distance will be based on:
  • vehicle speed
  • road conditions
  • tire grip
  • ABS factors
  • driver reaction time
all of the above factors will have much more effect on stopping distance vs. brake materials…

for street driving there is no meaningful difference in stopping distance - as the tires/ABS/road-conditions/driver are the dominate factors.

car review have investigated this factor for several years - there is no statistically significant difference in stopping distance for different rotor material types - I welcome any date/evidence/articles that show a statistically significant difference in stopping distance for any vehicle with out also changing the tires.

the ONLY advantages PCCB's offer are:
  1. lower weight
  2. no brake dust
  3. better thermal characteristics under high stress repeated use cases (track duty)
    1. street driving is very very very unlikely to ever experience ANY brake fade with steel rotors - brake fade threshold after repeated use _IS_ where PCCB's will be superior to Steel brakes.
https://insideevs.com/reviews/397503/porsche-taycan-regenerative-braking-deep-dive/

Porsche engineers have said that as much as 90% of the Taycan's braking will, on average, be achieved through regenerative braking
there will be no difference in stopping distance for street use in a panic stop situation - your reaction time (or lack of reaction time) and road conditions and tire condition will be the dominate factor _NOT_ your brake rotor material.

my assertion for PCCB's and the Taycan is as follows
  • slightly lighter
  • no brake dust
    • 90% regen also means less brake dust however
  • cosmetic/vanity
  • no effective braking difference in vehicle performance unless your tracking the taycan
    • but the Taycan's battery is too small (and thermally limited) to run the Taycan long enough during hot laps to really get to the point to where PCCB's would be an advantage over steel brakes
    • in the 12-15 minutes you can push a Taycan for hot laps - steels rotors won't have any significant fade either - cause Porsche's steel brakes are soooo good.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Mike in CA

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S, '19 e-Tron, '24 GMC 2500HD Duramax
Country flag
the brakes can't slow the vehicle any faster than the grip level of your tires - period full stop - PCCB's vs. PCSB vs. Steel does not change your tire's grip/traction level. If you want to improve your Taycan's stopping distance purchase stickier tires - slicks would make your Taycan stop much faster

also keep in mind - ABS will be a factor and ABS "releases" the brakes just before the tires "lock up" - this is the grip threshold of the tires (maximum grip and therefore maximum deceleration possible) and steel brakes on the Taycan can reach ABS thresholds when slowing the Taycan.

if your brakes are cool and unstressed there is virtually no stopping distance between different rotor types - the stopping distance is a function of effective traction/grip of your tires and the maximum g's they can sustain during heavy braking…ultimately stopping distance will be based on:
  • vehicle speed
  • road conditions
  • tire grip
  • ABS factors
  • driver reaction time
all of the above factors will have much more effect on stopping distance vs. brake materials…

for street driving there is no meaningful difference in stopping distance - as the tires/ABS/road-conditions/driver are the dominate factors.

car review have investigated this factor for several years - there is no statistically significant difference in stopping distance for different rotor material types - I welcome any date/evidence/articles that show a statistically significant difference in stopping distance for any vehicle with out also changing the tires.

the ONLY advantages PCCB's offer are:
  1. lower weight
  2. no brake dust
  3. better thermal characteristics under high stress repeated use cases (track duty)
    1. street driving is very very very unlikely to ever experience ANY brake fade with steel rotors - brake fade threshold after repeated use _IS_ where PCCB's will be superior to Steel brakes.
https://insideevs.com/reviews/397503/porsche-taycan-regenerative-braking-deep-dive/

there will be no difference in stopping distance for street use in a panic stop situation - your reaction time (or lack of reaction time) and road conditions and tire condition will be the dominate factor _NOT_ your brake rotor material.

my assertion for PCCB's and the Taycan is as follows
  • slightly lighter
  • no brake dust
    • 90% regen also means less brake dust however
  • cosmetic/vanity
  • no effective braking difference in vehicle performance unless your tracking the taycan
    • but the Taycan's battery is too small (and thermally limited) to run the Taycan long enough during hot laps to really get to the point to where PCCB's would be an advantage over steel brakes
    • in the 12-15 minutes you can push a Taycan for hot laps - steels rotors won't have any significant fade either - cause Porsche's steel brakes are soooo good.
Nice analysis, Dave. Just to be clear, FWIW, I didn't specifically refer to PCCB's in my last post, or any brake type for that matter. My primary point was actually with regard to the 90% regenerative braking assumption relative to how I drive.

As you mention, it's true that braking is dependent on the grip level of your tires. That doesn't necessarily mean, however, that every brake system is able to take full advantage of the ultimate tire grip available.

Also, the rotor material itself isn't the only difference among the Porsche brake types. Rotor size, brake pad size and composition, caliper construction and number of brake pistons are part of the equation. There's a significant difference in brake swept area which may have an effect on the brakes being able to extract maximum stopping performance from the rubber under all conditions. While it's true that ABS cycling, reaction time, road conditions etc. are extremely important, it doesn't mean that, all else being equal, the inherent performance of the brakes themselves isn't a factor.

Bottom line, we can discuss this all day in a subjective vacuum. I've no doubt Porsche has done comparison tests of the different Taycan brake systems on equivalent vehicles on various surfaces. My guess is that there would be measurable differences but, as I said, I'd love to see the hard data to either confirm or disprove that assumption.

Last edited: